Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448613 times)

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I nicknamed it "Tweety"
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Playing my interstellar quest mods, went to clean up debris from my past bunch of missions. Saw this at the top of the debris list. D:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol "debris" that is heartless

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

When you go around tearing stuff away with KAS it gets renamed to <kerbalname> debris. I have some 20 jebediah kerman debris orbiting kerbin.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

When you go around tearing stuff away with KAS it gets renamed to <kerbalname> debris. I have some 20 jebediah kerman debris orbiting kerbin.
Yeah, looks like it's a gravitometer I must have ripped off in an attempt to make orbit after leaving my DSS-2 science vessel. Turns out my late Minmus lander design didn't have the delta V for the Mun. Nor did the jetpack after leaving it. Poor bugger.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Science seed kerbin then.
(science seeding invilves taking all the science things, shoving it on a lander, strapping a few of them to a rocket, and deorbiting at semi-random points. Science seeding)
Wouldn't almost all of them end up in the ocean?

Near Future Propulsion has updated. Or rather reformatted, as Near Future Technologies - a modularized set of various parts. Plus some new parts - some solar panels, some fuel tanks, and of course the finalized IVA for the new command pod. And of course the Liquid Hydrogen overhaul, with an option to make the stock (and non-stock) NTRs like the NERVA use Liquid Hydrogen as fuel instead of the current kerosene/oxidizer mix.
Neat. Yet another reason to get a fresh install of KSP and replace the mods I'm actually going to use.

You know, just once, I'd like to not have my mutedness come into effect in the middle of a big KSP post and be about something I've finished, put behind me, and more or less forgotten.

I'm building a space station, because why not? The central module is a big one.

At the bottom is a single KWR Griffon XX, which gives this unwieldy thing an initial TWR of 1.375. Attached are four big fuel tanks from the KSO pack, feeding fuel into the central 3.75-meter Jumbo2 from KWR. They can be detached once they are emptied, which I hope doesn't happen during the gravity turn. On top is a procedural fairing hiding the station core.
Perhaps due to the high partcount of the station core (but I hope not), time runs at 30-40% normal speed. Twelve seconds in, the Titan began to overheat. By t+20 or so, though, it stabilized around maybe 40% heat. Half a minute in, we're two kilometers up. Shortly thereafter, between heat concerns and waste-due-to-air-resistance ones, I drop the throttle to 2/3. TWR still over 1.1. Around a minute and ten seconds in, I reach ten kilometers and start the gravity turn. I promptly discover that my rocket, while capable of turning, is a bit top-heavy. Are you familiar with xkcd's Up Goer V? I did not go to space today.

Redesign: Add two 3.75-meter radial reaction wheels. Well, two pairs of half-wheels, one at each end of the main orange tank.
I delayed my gravity turn ~5 km (10 to 16 km) because I expected the external tanks to run out faster. I turn, fall over, then...

Maybe I should strut the station core. Or start smaller.

Well then. That's twice now that I've been muted when I was in the middle of a KSP post. Anyways, in the meantime I've kept myself busy, but I've still had time to waste on KSP. Specifically, I got an idea for a thing which required me to fly to Eve. It was interesting. First, there was my attempts at launching the craft, then I had to figure out planetary intercepts, then I got captured and barely had fuel left (I couldn't get a maneuver node for aerocapture), then the game wouldn't let me leave after the first craft (intentionally) failed. And my project requires me to crash a bunch of stuff into Eve. Yeah...Hyperedit will be used.
More updating: I think I'm mostly done, but each step I'm discovering more things I need to do. Even with HyperEdit, it's tough. Things are not burning up in Eve's atmosphere as fast as expected. (And don't get me started on the EVA-ing kerbonaut that survived all the way to the surface somehow...)

On a related note, does anyone know a method of save file editing or somesuch that can get me to a different position on the surface?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Depends on the orbit.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart

GWG: is that video yours? I lost my shit watching it.  :P

Also, tadpoles.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Got back into playing KSP, and my first task was to create a working refueling station and put it into stable orbit (I was never awfully good at KSP). I'm pleased to say that I accomplished my task with fuel to spare! I like to call it the 'Big Momma', even though it isn't awfully big. Giving your creations self-confidence is the first step to success, I think.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I crashed into the sun :(

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I crashed into the sun :(

Impressive. You have to really try to do that. It's quite costly in dV.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

GWG: is that video yours? I lost my shit watching it.  :P
It sure is! Glad I made a good video.

Got back into playing KSP, and my first task was to create a working refueling station and put it into stable orbit (I was never awfully good at KSP). I'm pleased to say that I accomplished my task with fuel to spare! I like to call it the 'Big Momma', even though it isn't awfully big. Giving your creations self-confidence is the first step to success, I think.
The second step is, of course, making them functioning. Who refuels the refueling station?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seriously, how do you edit things to be on the surface? The closest I can think of would have me screaming through the lower atmosphere at several kilometers per second...
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Theres probably a map that lists sea levels.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think Hyperedit has a utility where you can place craft on the surface. I think you need to land something there manually and bookmark the site first though.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 625 626 [627] 628 629 ... 848