Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448785 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

How on earth Kerbal do you get solid rocket stages big enough to get you up to orbit alt before switching to the liquid rockets? Mine always overheat or come apart horrifically. I'm thinking that maybe I'm trying to go too big and just need to stick to one solid booster rather than a glom of three tri-stacks.
I got yelled at for doing this, but build a pyramid shape. Also, make sure to use the symmetry tool. Makes things much easier. When you get fuel lines, then look up "Asparagus staging."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep it simple. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53792-Can-you-guys-show-off-your-early-career-vehicles Post number 2 is perfectly fine. Make something kinda like that but stick rocket boosters directly attached to the bottoms of the first stage liquids. As they heat up and you get towards the end of their solid fuel crank up your liquid fuel rockets and get the boosters to blow up. Do a few runs to get the timing just right.

Ignore asparagus. You won't have that for awhile.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Spoiler: From that thread (click to show/hide)
Remember when anything big was like that? Those were some good times.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

How on earth Kerbal do you get solid rocket stages big enough to get you up to orbit alt before switching to the liquid rockets?
Ok, that's one problem there already: Solid rocket boosters are horribly inefficient. They provide a lot of thrust in a short period of time so they're decent for getting off the ground, but getting all the way to orbit on nothing but them is going to be a pain unless you really really know all the quirks of the physics engine... Or use like 4 stages of ridiculous numbers of them I guess.

For getting started, here's what I suggest: (Begin: DRAGNAR'S GUIDE TO GETTING A ROCKET TO ORBIT IN LIKE THE SLOPPIEST WAY EVER.)
1. Start with a core of a capsule, some science instruments, and a small fuel tank+engine on the end of that. (The stumpy little one with 390 ISP in vacuum. Can't recall it's name, but there's not many engines to check!)
2. After a decoupler from what you built in step 1, add two of the tallest liquid fuel tanks you have, and stick the most powerful engine you have on the bottom of that.
3. At this point, you've got a tall thin rocket in two stages. Next, slap on some radial decouplers and solid rocket boosters around that second stage. You should be able to get some basic radial ones with just near-kerbin science, but they can probably be done without anyway. This stage won't reach orbit. Heck, an SRB with nothing attached won't reach orbit, so one stage of them can't do it no matter what you do.

That three stage rocket will almost certainly get to orbit. Heck I usually use a somewhat modified version of that basic setup (replacing the SRBs with an asparagus) for early mun/minmus science trips. But you'll need to do it right - you can't just burn straight up, then turn the rocket over once you've reached 70k. Instead, you slowly start tilting the rocket east at 10k - try for being at about a 45 degree angle once you've hit 40k. Once the map says your max height has reached 80k or so, stop burning til you're closer to that height - then point prograde and throttle up til you're in orbit.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Question: what's the asteroid version of lithobreaking?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Question: what's the asteroid version of lithobreaking?
Same old lithobraking, I think. Lithos means rock, and an asteroid is primarily rock, so...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Oh, nevermind then. I thought it was something mun specific.

On an unrelated note, has anybody ever managed to successfully land an asteroid? What about with mods like FAR and Deadly Reentry?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Well, you can't really "land" on them because the gravity is so weak, but you can use that Klaw to grab them. Also, they don't have athmosphere, so FAR and deadly reentry don't matter.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Well, you can't really "land" on them because the gravity is so weak, but you can use that Klaw to grab them. Also, they don't have athmosphere, so FAR and deadly reentry don't matter.
FAR and Deadly Reentry do seem to change how things work in space, actually.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I said land an asteroid, not land on an asteroid.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Oh, my bad. I'm pretty sure people did, searching "landing an asteroid KSP" on youtube brings plenty of videos.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

My first attempt resulted in breaking up in the atmosphere. I guess I need more boosters.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It'd be neat if asteroids themselves were capable of breaking up in the atmosphere. It'd probably have to wait until stock reentry heat damage though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I got an asteroid in a stable orbit around Kerbin. Now what?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Place nine orange tank in a slightly lower orbit, attach rcs to asteroid, space bowling
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 848