Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448871 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Or, as puke said, just right-click and press "Run test".

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

You can add a new stage while in flight. If you add it to the bottom you can stage through it and stage activate your already stage activated engines.

Oh, that's a good trick! I figured that wouldn't work since the part was already activated.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Run test works on the more advanced later tech engines but not the first couple.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anybody have pointers for landing on vacuum planetoids with RemoteTech?  I'm having a super hard time with this, keep crashing into the Mun.

I'm trying to do it with maneuver nodes, but maybe I should just use a long-duration burn to retrograde from the flight computer?  I'm not using any other control enhancing mods like mechajeb or similar - just remotetech2, TAC life support, and scansat.

I know, on the Mun I should just be able to do it by hand since signal delay is so low - but I'm trying to use this as a proving ground for future missions to more exotic locales.  Also, trying to learn how to preprogram things so that I dont have to build local comms infrastructure to cover the far side of planetoids before launching a serious landing operation.

The only tutorials or video's I've found are featuring landings on bodies with an atmosphere using parachutes, or are hand-controlled over low latency links.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

...Is the mun tidal-locked?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sweet. Means I can plant some pseudo-retro-reflectors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
you said i couldnt do it
but i did it
i brought this thing to a suborbital trajectory
and i even did a powered landing.

E:
BTW, I remember there being a mod that allowed you to transfer resources between parts of your ship easily, but I forgot the name.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 02:14:41 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do nosecones have a function now? 

How many contracts did you complete with that flight?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Uh. Miauw, what exactly did you make there?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Do nosecones have a function now? 

How many contracts did you complete with that flight?
4 Contracts.
Poodle/radial while landed, mainsail in flight, KR in sub-orbit.

And I'm using FAR, so nosecones have a function.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Nosecones have slight function in the basegame aswell, reduces drag...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I respect a man that slaps a "ground test" part on a rocket, and then goes on to fly the thing anyway.

I take it then that nosecones need mods to be useful, and are still worthless in stock? 

Does it mater yet if you stack parts in a row?  Some of the drag effects I get (particularly on re-entry but sometimes when launching at high speed in upper atmosphere) suggest that drag for parallel parts is being modeled, but its hard to tell.  might just be because of a higher total drag*mass on that end of the rocket?

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm. Wonder if there's a way to mod in parts to make, say, a fighter jet such that the munitions would damage other plane parts. I mean, the physics is basically there already.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I respect a man that slaps a "ground test" part on a rocket, and then goes on to fly the thing anyway.

I take it then that nosecones need mods to be useful, and are still worthless in stock? 

Does it mater yet if you stack parts in a row?  Some of the drag effects I get (particularly on re-entry but sometimes when launching at high speed in upper atmosphere) suggest that drag for parallel parts is being modeled, but its hard to tell.  might just be because of a higher total drag*mass on that end of the rocket?
I built a small jet for traveling around on one tank of gas and grabbing science.  I made it with the MK 1 cockpit and it worked fine (the pointed one).  I took the same jet, and replaced the cockpit with a probe core (the blunt octagonal one) and it was extremely unstable.  Even with COM/COL factored, and the VERY strong SAS I was using for this size of vessel, the blunted nose seemed to make the aerodynamics unusable.
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 848