Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448303 times)

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10830 on: December 17, 2014, 02:23:27 am »

EVA reports worked for me. Are you sure you're close enough? It will say "you are entering [location]" if you are in range for the mission, and the boundaries are pretty tight for EVA observations. Also, on the map the mission location is at the tip of the icon, not under the bubble. If you click on the icon you can activate a marker on the navball which will point to the location.

Weird. Maybe I wasn't close enough. When I walked to it, my guy was on the tip of the arrow of the waypoint, although I had no navball to navigate him so I used the orbital map, I guess it's not exactly the best to navigate on the ground :D
I'll try again later when I unlock the rover wheels  ;D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10831 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:04 pm »

Any idea if you can influence the kinds of contracts you get?
If so, it should definitely be a feature
I quite like the 'survey kerbin' ones, they can be quite calming and fun; however, they have gotten rare as of late.
How do you accomplish those?  I was gonna build a plane and go around collecting survey spots...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10832 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:20 pm »

Also, does anyone know what earns crew exp?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10833 on: December 18, 2014, 12:16:37 am »

Yep; there's a variety of things. Here's a chart: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/XP
Essentially, for each body, you have a variety of mission goals of sorts which give different amounts of XP. The kerbal then gets whatever the highest achieved mission goal on a body was. In general, planting a flag is the highest XP for a body (though just landing is sufficient for Minmus and the Mun, since they give the same)

Ex: Send a kerbal on a flight at kerbin, they get 1 XP. Send them again, and they still only have 1, since it isn't additive. Send them on an orbital fight, they now have 2 XP, since the orbital flights give 2 XP, that overrides and erases the 'flight' from their log and replaces it with 'orbital flight.' Send them on another flight and they still have 2 XP, since the 1 XP from a 'flight' isnt' enough to override the 'orbital flight.'
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 12:19:55 am by alway »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10834 on: December 18, 2014, 12:23:50 am »

How do I into upgraded buildings? I can't find a place to do that.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10835 on: December 18, 2014, 04:45:44 am »

Any idea if you can influence the kinds of contracts you get?
If so, it should definitely be a feature
I quite like the 'survey kerbin' ones, they can be quite calming and fun; however, they have gotten rare as of late.

I think you can't, but you can refuse contracts without penalty until they offer you the ones you're interested in. Also as far as I know, cancel(l?)ing a contract doesn't give any penalty either other than the loss of the fee you gained for accepting it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10836 on: December 18, 2014, 06:47:55 am »

That moment when you spend all of your research in getting plane parts.
Then realize you don't have any wheels at all.
*facepalms*
I've built planes that use launch clamps, decouplers and parachutes to take off/land before.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10837 on: December 18, 2014, 07:17:53 am »

you can refuse contracts without penalty until they offer you the ones you're interested in. Also as far as I know, cancel(l?)ing a contract doesn't give any penalty either other than the loss of the fee you gained for accepting it.

One of the dev-talks described having relationships with the contract agents, so the more work you did for one company the more lucrative jobs they might offer -- and the more you declined or failed jobs for another company the more reluctant they would be to do busniess with you and the worse contracts they would offer.

I don't know if this became a feature or not -- it certainly isn't obvious if it is in there, would have to be happening behind the scenes.  But at the time, they were talking like it was something that was already done.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10838 on: December 18, 2014, 07:40:38 am »

I absolutely detest any plane related missions ...

The ones I like the most are "set up a satellite in orbit" ones. I also don't like landing ... >.<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10839 on: December 18, 2014, 07:44:20 am »

I love the "test *part* while splash down", "test *part* from the ground" and "send scientific data from around *celestial body where I have an orbital station*"  :D

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10840 on: December 18, 2014, 07:52:44 am »

The initial "Explore X" missions are my favs. Always nice to go somewhere the first time in a playthrough.

Hey, could someone do me a solid and PM me if/when Interstellar updates to the new version? It's gotten to the point I can't imagine KSP without it :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10841 on: December 18, 2014, 07:53:36 am »

I think the Explore X missions are basically KSP's "story" or main questline, seeing that you can't fail them (no deadline),they always appear, and they're usually important milestones like Visit Ike or Explore Mun.

I still dislike them because you have to land...

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10842 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:21 am »

I dislike the ones that require doing a certain speed at a certain altitude. Though when I stop using solid rocket boosters I should have more luck with them.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10843 on: December 18, 2014, 08:12:48 am »

The initial "Explore X" missions are my favs. Always nice to go somewhere the first time in a playthrough.

Hey, could someone do me a solid and PM me if/when Interstellar updates to the new version? It's gotten to the point I can't imagine KSP without it :P

Yeah, this.  They are big missions with multiple goals that you have to reach for.  I made a new self-imposed rule my last .25 game, that I would take each Explore X and attempt it immediately with whatever technology I had at the time.  This worked out pretty well, and was a good counter to my natural tendency to harvest cheap science before starting big missions.

I don't know how well this handicap will work in .9... I'm going to give it a try because it makes those Explore missions so much more fun, but I might need to bend my rules a bit to be able to upgrade facilities some before launching missions?

I guess that once you can leave the Kerbin system you can get anywhere... but returning Kerbals from large gravity wells with atmospheres... this is the tricky bit.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10844 on: December 18, 2014, 08:17:55 am »

I dislike the ones that require doing a certain speed at a certain altitude. Though when I stop using solid rocket boosters I should have more luck with them.
Haha, no.

Those missions are often just borderline impossible to do.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 721 722 [723] 724 725 ... 848