Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448046 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10845 on: December 18, 2014, 08:24:36 am »

I love those missions. In my last playthrough, they were all I would take, once I had planes.

They're impossible with rockets, I agree.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10846 on: December 18, 2014, 08:33:50 am »

I dislike the ones that require doing a certain speed at a certain altitude. Though when I stop using solid rocket boosters I should have more luck with them.
Haha, no.

Those missions are often just borderline impossible to do.

Only when you try to stack two or three of them at once.  I can usually hit any given speed or altitude on my second or third try by tweaking the fuel level or thrust percentage of the SRBs.

Oh, did you mean borderline impossible on the first try without reverting?  That sounds like a hard way to play.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10847 on: December 18, 2014, 09:02:14 am »

I'm still confused that people try to do those with rockets.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10848 on: December 18, 2014, 09:06:47 am »

faster with rockets.  Even if it takes a revert or two.

I don't have the patience for long plane flights, and often don't unlock the various aerodynamic parts and air-breathing engines until I am pretty far in the other science branches.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10849 on: December 18, 2014, 10:07:30 am »

I dislike the ones that require doing a certain speed at a certain altitude. Though when I stop using solid rocket boosters I should have more luck with them.
Haha, no.

Only when you try to stack two or three of them at once.  I can usually hit any given speed or altitude on my second or third try by tweaking the fuel level or thrust percentage of the SRBs.

Oh, did you mean borderline impossible on the first try without reverting?  That sounds like a hard way to play.
I play hardmode, and they're still quite easy.
I just put a small rocket booster on the bottom plus a half tank with LV-30 or LV-45 engines and it works pretty well.
I usually had missions that had only the objective of testing a part or two, with ONLY liquid rockets. But now I only spam orbital satellite missions.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10850 on: December 18, 2014, 11:23:16 am »

Haha, no.

I play hardmode, and they're still quite easy.
I just put a small rocket booster on the bottom plus a half tank with LV-30 or LV-45 engines and it works pretty well.
I usually had missions that had only the objective of testing a part or two, with ONLY liquid rockets. But now I only spam orbital satellite missions.
Well I just started and don't have plane parts, It makes sense I would want to test my parachutes and whatever :/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10851 on: December 18, 2014, 02:43:25 pm »

Is it even POSSIBLE to reach orbit with unupgraded Launchpad? That weight limit is brutal...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10852 on: December 18, 2014, 02:52:25 pm »

From what little I remember of actually playing the game, I think I managed to orbit on my second real launch, with three real fuel tanks and a single engine...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10853 on: December 18, 2014, 03:29:36 pm »

Working on a aircraft designed to go around the world, refueling as it goes via atmos scoop and drill, keep a kerbal alive indefinitely even with the thunder life support thing (downloaded because of  OKS), and even land on water. Nearly done with it when crash. weee...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10854 on: December 19, 2014, 12:16:15 am »

From what little I remember of actually playing the game, I think I managed to orbit on my second real launch, with three real fuel tanks and a single engine...
You should be able to reach orbit with a lv-45 and as many fuel tanks as you can fit while still allowing it to lift off. You may require splitting it down to 2 stages. Efficient gravity turning is essemntial however.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10855 on: December 19, 2014, 12:21:02 am »

essemntial

sorry I couldn't help but google this typo

I mean it's not an unreasonable typo at all (those letters are right nexst to each othjer! Typos expt in that sentence and this for iromic purposes), but the vast majority of the instances of that typo on the internet are some "healing fragrance" hooey, which I find hilarious

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10857 on: December 19, 2014, 01:16:30 am »

essemntial

sorry I couldn't help but google this typo

I mean it's not an unreasonable typo at all (those letters are right nexst to each othjer! Typos expt in that sentence and this for iromic purposes), but the vast majority of the instances of that typo on the internet are some "healing fragrance" hooey, which I find hilarious
No it's a legitimate typo, I already fixed 2 others in that sentence, and it had like, more than one letter wrong so I just thought I would roll with it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10859 on: December 19, 2014, 02:41:57 am »

You should be able to reach orbit with a lv-45 and as many fuel tanks as you can fit while still allowing it to lift off. You may require splitting it down to 2 stages. Efficient gravity turning is essemntial however.
I do not have the essemntial efficiemcy then.
Usually I just use the super SRBs from the NASA update to get lighter stuff to orbit, and the OTHER stuff from the NASA pack to get anything heavier there...
NASA is Magic.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 722 723 [724] 725 726 ... 848