Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448373 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10920 on: December 24, 2014, 11:35:29 am »

Built a strange VTOL base.

I intended for it to use the swiveling engines to land, but it turned out that the abdominal tank had enough fuel to land it upright and then tip over on its legs. It has capacity for 6 kerbals, and was designed to fulfil the station on Mun/Minmus contracts.

This design has enough fuel to return to Kerbin from Minmus! I used the VTOL engines to get into orbit, fairly cool but impractical xD
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 11:37:07 am by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10921 on: December 24, 2014, 11:43:26 am »

Bumpy runway why :I
Seriously it can't be too difficult to pat down a flat dirt road. The Romans managed it.

Romans invented engineering

I saw a similar design being used in Afghanistan recently.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10922 on: December 24, 2014, 12:14:24 pm »

Can anybody help with the questions that I have a bit earlier?

I'm wondering in particular how to cram a rover into one of those containers in KAS without catalogueing each piece.

You can't unless you also use Part Welder and even then I'm not sure it will work. KAS only deals in individual parts.

What would the point of the containers be then? :P

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10923 on: December 24, 2014, 01:25:27 pm »

I'm wondering in particular how to cram a rover into one of those containers in KAS without catalogueing each piece.

You can't unless you also use Part Welder and even then I'm not sure it will work. KAS only deals in individual parts.

Containers have a symmetrical center of mass no matter what you put into it. A rover might not.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10924 on: December 24, 2014, 01:36:22 pm »

Is there anyone making modpacks or is using mods TES-style painful?
From what I recall, modpacks are more or less disallowed by design to avoid minecraft style modpack drama. However, any decent mod is really easy to put in; just download it, drag over the stuff in game data, and it just works (and generally without breaking saves so long as you aren't overwriting any duplicate mods or such). The tricky part is figuring out which ones you like; but since they generally don't break saves when adding new stuff, you can always add some, try them out, then come back later to add more. And even if you end up not liking a mod, they tend to be fairly safe to remove (in that it automatically deletes any craft with unavailable parts, instead of crashing or otherwise dying a horrible death like Minecraft would).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10925 on: December 24, 2014, 04:55:34 pm »

Containers have a symmetrical center of mass no matter what you put into it. A rover might not.

I mean what would the point be if you can't put the structural parts in. NASA packed the moon rover into a box the size of a suitcase (well ok, a suitcase may be exaggeration, but they did pack it into a container) and I would also like to be able to easily get a rover onto another planet or moon as well.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10926 on: December 24, 2014, 05:38:10 pm »

I mean what would the point be if you can't put the structural parts in. NASA packed the moon rover into a box the size of a suitcase (well ok, a suitcase may be exaggeration, but they did pack it into a container) and I would also like to be able to easily get a rover onto another planet or moon as well.

Perhaps Hangars are what you're looking for? Otherwise, yeah, you're going to need to put the rover into the KAS storage units piece by piece.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10927 on: December 24, 2014, 08:48:13 pm »

Ooh yeah, that sounds perfect actually, thanks.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10929 on: December 26, 2014, 08:52:16 am »

I've screwed up the landing procedures and now my unmanned Munar lander is in horisontal position:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is there any way to get it back to orbit without crashing it into terrain or having to launch a manned recovery mission? I don't want to lose the science or replay the landing again.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10930 on: December 26, 2014, 08:58:15 am »

If you have RCS, try using that and your reaction wheels to right it. Maybe folding and unfolding the legs could help too.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10931 on: December 26, 2014, 09:06:07 am »

If you have RCS, try using that and your reaction wheels to right it. Maybe folding and unfolding the legs could help too.
That helped me, thank you.

EDIT: accidentially reverted to earlier autosave, but I managed to land the craft properly without tipping it over and with a bit more fuel remaining.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:19:15 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10932 on: December 26, 2014, 09:29:47 am »

Played career mode for the first time.
SHITS HARD

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10933 on: December 26, 2014, 11:47:36 am »

Now play hard mode.

Yolo

Or rather

Ykolo

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10934 on: December 26, 2014, 06:22:23 pm »

Now play hard mode.

Yolo

Or rather

Ykolo
Hardmode is best mode.
Oh god where is my funding, Jeb's dead, the Kraken killed him, why, shit, oh shit, no reverts, Success! Damn I'm still brokethough :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 727 728 [729] 730 731 ... 848