Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448717 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

so it's a vomit comet ride

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

On my very first flight in the new version, in career mode, I blew up my rocket, very nearly reached space, and broke a multitude of speed records. Will upload pic as soon as my internet gets unfucked.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I'm having trouble figuring out how to pull off the tourist missions with only MkI pods. I tried setting up a rig with boosters on either side and the tourist pods on top of them. The idea was that when we started coming back down, I'd pop the chutes on their pods and eject them off to either side, and let them tumble the rest of the way down while I piloted the main pod back. But I can't seem to pull off the staging right. Not to mention even getting to 70K alt. :(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile

I designed an SSTO (that came very close but failed to achieve true orbit) but forgot deadly reentry is now standard.  And the ssto had no heatshields.  I somehow managed to slow the plane down enough with simple aerobraking maneuvers during the high part of reentry that it didn't explode, didn't even have real airbrakes.  The front half of the plane WAS glowing a pretty scary red though, enough to make out the front of the plane clearly even though it was night. It's kinda cool that even without the usual reentry fireball from high speed there's still an indication that stuff is starting to get hot.

But successful reentry and landing without a heatshield, that should be an achievement or something right? I never screwed around with deadly reentry much.

Probably should be an achievement. I'd just be thinking "how is it going to blow up? who's gonna collect Jebs remains to put him back in the secret cloning machines?"

Is it harder to make SSTOs with the new model? Because my problem with SSTOs was the very weird flight model they had, and I didn't use that realistic mod (Farnham?).
I was pretty sure cargo SSTOs could be made, yet I simply could not achieve orbit with cargo using a simplistic design. I'd have to go overboard in order to make it, so I gave up on the idea.
But maybe I'll go back and try that again with the update. I'm not that great on KSP though, I just visited Minmus/Mun after I learned about Delta-V stuff since eyeballing things with no knowledge at all started making me mad.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:07:57 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I present you:

the cheesy science roller

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

20 science easy easy :D

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Jeb and Val: Space tour guides.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I present you:

the cheesy science roller

20 science easy easy :D

Slap some solar panels on that thing and see if you can roll all the way to a survey site.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

if I had them :P

nah, this is how I survey:

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:29:25 pm by LoSboccacc »

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My own beginning spaceplane had the worst problems with flipping.  Eventually I just put the COL waaaay in the back.  Handles horribly, but at least it can get to places.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Complex Ordinance Launcher? The thing that launches mines?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

center of lift

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Complex Ordinance Launcher? The thing that launches mines?
Not a really good idea to have a mine launcher in the front of your aircraft, I imagine.
That does give me an idea though for storing a laser or some kind of missile in an SSTO cargo bay.  Once you get to space the rang of a laser would increase tremendously, so you wouldn't even need to be on a perfect intercept.  Unless you are aiming it manually, anyways.
I also realized a legitimate use for SSTO's outside of Kerbin.  If you can set up a mining base on Laythe, along with a science lab, you would be able to both ferry it to orbit to support other missions, or fly around to just get science.  Not sure how efficient it would be compared to other moons without an atmosphere, but it will be interesting to try.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

This might be a bit impractical.
That's nothing, with FAR and Interstellar in previous versions I've hit 800m/s at sea level without breaking apart.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, Im not even bothering with spaceplanes and am going straight to space carriers. Big ones. Im talking 12 NERVAs plus one of those massive NASA engines. its about 20m wide.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

Planes in general seem extremely useless in 1.0. They explode at low altitude, and at high altitude they're so low power that you might as well have not bothered.

Also, it seems they removed one of the nose cones... Actually, I think I found it. Just looks a lot different now.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:35:27 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 748 749 [750] 751 752 ... 848