Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443874 times)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am having some problems with the 'place satellite in orbit' missions. Namely, how do I check where the required longitude of ascending/descending node is, or what is the argument of periapsis.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I am having some problems with the 'place satellite in orbit' missions. Namely, how do I check where the required longitude of ascending/descending node is, or what is the argument of periapsis.
It should show a rotating ring around the planet that visually displays the desired orbit.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a blue glowy orbit in the map for them. Also the parameters are, at the very least, in the building where you accept the mission.

But personally I decided they weren't worth the small reward. "Place satellite in precise 11-12 million km polar orbit for us for less money than a Kerbal rescue mission!" No thanks.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Now that I have the 255 part VAB, I can finally rescue Valentina from the Mun. :D
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Looking at the physics.cfg, drag and lift have been significantly increased since 1.0
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It should show a rotating ring around the planet that visually displays the desired orbit.

it does, but  notice that ascending and descendign nodes shown will change depending on your orbit. Which is great when you align your orbital plane, less great when they are required to be in a specific place that is no longer shown. Maybe switching to another craft will work, but for now I wrote that off as a lost rocket. Not that expensive thankfully.
( or maybe the error is in the argument of periapsis? what is the argument of periapsis?)

edit: the plant flag and recover science missions seem to be a good way to get cash, however. On a recent mission I got plant flag on mun, recover science from space  near mun and recover science from mun surface at the same time. Considering the low tech involved, it was 15k+ of tidy profit.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:12:20 am by andrea »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Man, be careful with rescue missions at low tech levels.  If they don't say "low orbit" they might be anywhere in the SOI.  I had a couple last night that were out past the mun.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With 1.0 my heat shielded mk1 pod (3 part parachute, pod, shield) would tilt a bit and expose its top to reentry heating. With 1.0.2 it no longer does this. Without any sas it will come in fairly centered around it's trajectory and the pod is fully protected from reentry heat.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wish they had prop engines in the game natively for starter planes...seems kinda silly to have landing gear that cant retract but you have jet engines...

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it does, but  notice that ascending and descendign nodes shown will change depending on your orbit. Which is great when you align your orbital plane, less great when they are required to be in a specific place that is no longer shown. Maybe switching to another craft will work, but for now I wrote that off as a lost rocket. Not that expensive thankfully.
( or maybe the error is in the argument of periapsis? what is the argument of periapsis?)

Just align with the target orbit and your nodes will be in the right place -- all they are are the points where your orbit crosses the equatorial plane. The nodes you are shown are where your orbit and the target orbit cross, which is what you need to know to get the alignment right.

Argument of periapsis is the angle between your ascending node and the periapsis. You can't actually see the ascending node, but you can compare the periapsis of your current and target orbits.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wish they had prop engines in the game natively for starter planes...seems kinda silly to have landing gear that cant retract but you have jet engines...

Why can't you just make a pinwheel out of wing segments with rockets at the tips, like any normal person would?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I had a rescue mission that went horribly, horribly wrong.  I decided that I could just grab the pod they were in with a claw, have the claw deorbit, and deploy parachutes to slow it down (This was before the update that killed parachutes).  Unfortunately, I forgot to put any kind of reaction wheel on it, so it would take about 30-45 seconds to turn 180 degrees. Because of this, I eventually gave up on trying to grab the pod and just flew the kerbal over and stuck it in the claw.  Turns out kerbal's have zero heat resistance, and it died at about 60,000 meters.  So then I reloaded my last save, and sent up a small rocket with a cabin.  Since the claw had parachutes, I figured I wouldn't need to put parachutes on the new craft.  Cue two hours of trying to ram the claw and get it to actually dock.  From now on I'm putting RCS thrusters on everything that docks.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I often get two rescue missions around Mun or Minmus. They could net about 400k in one mission.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I often get two rescue missions around Mun or Minmus. They could net about 400k in one mission.
Not to mention free personnel

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not to mention free personnel
Does anyone else find this darkly humorous?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 760 761 [762] 763 764 ... 848