Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448190 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Whatever option the launcher provides, KSP no longer ships with a 64-bit executable for Windows. It was dropped due to inadequate support for 64-bit Windows builds of Unity.

Also, this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/328-The-future-of-Windows-64-bit-builds-for-KSP
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Ran into an interesting bug.

Tourists dont seem to complete their mission criteria if they are not in focus.  At least not for flybys.

I had two ships full of tourists, one returning from Mun and the other on the way.  I switched focus to land the returning ship, and while I was doing that the other entered the Mun's SOI.

It should have achieved the 'flyby' criteria as soon as it entered the SOI, but since it was not in focus it did not mark that as accomplished for the three passengers.  After switching back, there wasn't anything i could do to get it to fill the criteria.

So i reloaded a quick save, and made sure the ship was in focus as it entered the Mun SOI.  This time, it filled the criteria correctly.  Found another forum thread of someone complaining of something similar, so I'm pretty sure this will reproduce.
I also will confirm this behaviour. Tourists need to be in focus to fulfil a flyby.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

truckloads of struts

I was launching parts & propellant for my (sandbox) space station and attempted to fly this thing:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first stage consists of fifty-two J-X4 ramjets in pods of 13 glued on with a TT-38K decoupler and a web of stuts. Other than slowing the game to a crawl, it flew like a dream to about 20km, where I attempted to transition to rockets. One of the rocket engines apparently had no fuel or oxidizer feed and the asymmetric thrust left the wrong end pointed at space.

I fixed the problem by deleting & re-adding the problem engine and its three siblings, but due to the performance impact of the 52 engines, the next launch used a more sensible booster arrangement.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Whatever option the launcher provides, KSP no longer ships with a 64-bit executable for Windows. It was dropped due to inadequate support for 64-bit Windows builds of Unity.

Also, this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/328-The-future-of-Windows-64-bit-builds-for-KSP
Huh. Also, for some reason, now my mods are working again over in my steam library, without needing to go into any weirdness with the launcher.  Still have to go through the launcher for my copy.  I have absolutely no idea what was going on.  I guess I accidentally clicked on something when I was first trying to turn 32 bit on.
Whatever it was, it is now time for me to start building a chain of stations and bases that will let me send a manned mission to Eve. This mission would be helped a lot more if my rockets would stop colliding with each other on stage separation.  Which I could probably fix with a few hundred seperatons but that requires way, way, way too much work. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I can't create rockets for putting very heavy stuff into LKO (4000-5000 m/s Δv at least) that aren't overcomplicated and completely uncontrollable contraptions with double or even triple asparagus staging and truckloads of struts, solid fuel boosters, Vernor engines and delta-wings.
Does anyone have any tips on constructing reliable super-heavy launch vehicles?
Are your rockets very wobbly?
I've discovered that only fuel tanks and very large engines and boosters actually have any decent structural strength, you would think that squad would realise that 2.5 meter inline SAS modules might need to be as strong as the rest of the rocket to not wobble the damn thing apart.
You could install joint reinforcement, or manually add    breakingForce = 50 and breakingTorque = 50 under the crash tolerance line of the config file for the offending parts.
Edit: Just finished a heavy lifter:
624.1 tons, 76.8 ton payload. Mass fraction of 12.3% 72.8m high.
Reached 75x75 km orbit with 320 dv to spare. About 3300 dv to reach orbit.
Design is less than ideal, particularly in regards to severe instability around the large SAS and engine cowlings.
The solution was quad triangular stabilization struts.
Another issue was boosters colliding with the bottom radial engines. Solution was sepratrons.
Note that it is entirely possible for the heat from these to detonate a fuel tank, particularly an empty one, altering thrust may be required. Also note the struts on the boosters, they were unstable.
Another issue was the top launch clamps colliding with the solid boosters. I used small radial separators and baby cubic struts  for the required clearance.
The separation debris does tend to collide with things, but they're light enough to not be fatal... so far.
Lastly a closeup of the payload. Nothing special, 45 tons of ore, a poodle and enough fuel for 1030 dv, should be enough to reach the mun or duna. Contains a docking port for access, and antenna because remotetech.
Very important is the large battery and pair of solar panels. I used mechjeb to reach orbit and without the batteries ran out of change before MJ started the circularization burn.
As I'm a terrible builder this took me about 2 hours. Use of 3 meter parts would almost certainly be more efficient,
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:12:44 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I have discovered a new hobby.  Blowing up space stations.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

cute.  whats the mod that provides that inventory and object use system?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

KIS, an extension of KAS by the same people. Kerbal Inventory System.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does that supersede KAS?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Does that supersede KAS?
KAS is basically going to become a parts pack which uses KIS

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Mission accomplished. Uh... hey, how long is it going to be before I'm picked up out here?"

Another issue was boosters colliding with the bottom radial engines. Solution was sepratrons.

I've had problems with that before, and I found a solution in using structural pylons, the ones that decouple. They tend to cause the booster to fall away rather than drop vertically.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

*NERDGASMS OVER THE EVERYTHING*
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Mission accomplished. Uh... hey, how long is it going to be before I'm picked up out here?"

I've had problems with that before, and I found a solution in using structural pylons, the ones that decouple. They tend to cause the booster to fall away rather than drop vertically.
"We included enough materials for a small liferaft in your supply cache aboard the station.  You and your fellow operative will be enough to put it together." "..." "You forgot to pay attention during the briefing, didn't you?"

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was feeling nostalgic so I went back to some of the very early releases and did a Mun mission. It was refreshing to return to flying by eye and designing rockets through gut feeling and experience without any math to back it up. I got the encounter easily and had plenty of fuel for a landing and return, but in true early KSP fashion, I landed on a slight incline which caused the `lander`to tip over and the engine to fall off. Ah, brings back memories.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*NERDGASMS OVER THE EVERYTHING*

Another modder made a science backpack that uses KIS. I forget its name. Not at my main computer now.
Pages: 1 ... 776 777 [778] 779 780 ... 848