Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448879 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

a modlist geared toward harder: remotetech, tac life support and a more step by step tech tree (+ most the graphical goodies), but also more things to do (SETI, science, contracts etc) and many quality of life mods (docking navbal, surface landing height, etc)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ckan: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rc9e379v8qixyec/favs.ckan?dl=0

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

This is probably gonna get some facepalms, but what is CKAN? I'm GUESSING that its a mod manager of some sort, but could someone explain it to me?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

CKAN (Comprehensive KSP Archive Network probably) is a mod manager and repository and installer all at once. Download a small utility, launch it, pick some mods from the list, and the mods will be installed. It's basically a package manager for KSP mods.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

CKAN (Comprehensive KSP Archive Network probably) is a mod manager and repository and installer all at once. Download a small utility, launch it, pick some mods from the list, and the mods will be installed. It's basically a package manager for KSP mods.

^ what he said. download link https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/releases

I'll add one feature: allow to export and import mod list without the need to search/copypaste

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

a modlist geared toward harder: remotetech, tac life support and a more step by step tech tree (+ most the graphical goodies), but also more things to do (SETI, science, contracts etc) and many quality of life mods (docking navbal, surface landing height, etc)
I approve of most of this list.

Like that counts for anything.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just performed my first kerbonaut rescue mission in 1.1.3.  Got into orbit no problem (which was fortunate, as I was trying out a new craft with a new launcher, so it was a bit...experimental).  Rendezvoused no problem (which I was quite surprised with, because normally I'm rubbish at controlled rendezvous attempts).  Got the kerbal across no problem (free engineer, woo!).  Deorbit burn went without a hitch.

And then I got greedy.  Kept burning to get down quicker, then ditched the final stage engine/tank to allow my heatshield to do its thing.  But of course, shorter entry means less aerobraking, and things got a bit bumpy...

...but I managed to keep it under control, finally getting to parachute-safe speed a mere 4km from the sea.  Whew.  Ditched the heat shield, and put down my landing legs (because why the hell not, even with a splashdown they might take off a tiny bit of the force, right?)

Evidently not.  I was evidently still going too fast, because when I splashed down my landing legs broke off...then the life support tank at the bottom of the stage blew up...and then...so did the hitchhiker can, with my rescued kerbal inside it.  :'(

I was left with just a single command pod with Jeb in it, bobbing up and down forlornly.  I actually Alt-F4'd.  I couldn't bring myself to continue after that shambles.  :(
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Just performed my first kerbonaut rescue mission in 1.1.3.  Got into orbit no problem (which was fortunate, as I was trying out a new craft with a new launcher, so it was a bit...experimental).  Rendezvoused no problem (which I was quite surprised with, because normally I'm rubbish at controlled rendezvous attempts).  Got the kerbal across no problem (free engineer, woo!).  Deorbit burn went without a hitch.

And then I got greedy.  Kept burning to get down quicker, then ditched the final stage engine/tank to allow my heatshield to do its thing.  But of course, shorter entry means less aerobraking, and things got a bit bumpy...

...but I managed to keep it under control, finally getting to parachute-safe speed a mere 4km from the sea.  Whew.  Ditched the heat shield, and put down my landing legs (because why the hell not, even with a splashdown they might take off a tiny bit of the force, right?)

Evidently not.  I was evidently still going too fast, because when I splashed down my landing legs broke off...then the life support tank at the bottom of the stage blew up...and then...so did the hitchhiker can, with my rescued kerbal inside it.  :'(

I was left with just a single command pod with Jeb in it, bobbing up and down forlornly.  I actually Alt-F4'd.  I couldn't bring myself to continue after that shambles.  :(

Did something similar. Got Jeb stuck in orbit after riding an Orion drive to orbit (in a rover seat). Rescued him with tens of d-v to spare after a wildly inclined orbit.

One chute snapped free, still came down at 11 m/s. Exploded on impact. If I'd had him EVA he would have survived. I rolled with it; after all, when you ride nukes to space and survive, what else is there do with your life?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I've read briefly of the Realism Overhaul mod. What do folks here think of it? Considering getting back into this game now that I have a computer that can run it perfectly.

It completely revitalized the game for me when I started using it. Most of your knowledge will carry over, especially after 1.0. Delta-v, gravity turns, etc. all still work the same. There are just a few differences you need to keep in mind, the most important probably being the lack of throttle on most engines.

That said, things take a lot longer than in stock Kerbal. Just getting into orbit without any slowdown might take 10 minutes or more. If you use time acceleration and your computer can run at full speed, it shouldn't be too bad, but it takes some patience.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Same thing happened to me. I spent hours messing with CKAN and the game kept crashing. Don't feel like messing with it further.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Last time I touched KSP it melted my GPU. 
But within a week I get a new PC so.... 
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some mod devs nest their mods in a root folder. Ckan does not do this. It's also not great. Just manually place all your mods in.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never had a problem with CKAN.

... until I ran it a few minutes ago and, after updating, it started crashing from unhandled exceptions. >:(
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never had a problem with CKAN.

... until I ran it a few minutes ago and, after updating, it started crashing from unhandled exceptions. >:(

Your past eight or so posts about KSP have been salty. You should play something else for six months or so, then revisit the game. It's what I do when I get burned out from a single title.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Some mod devs nest their mods in a root folder. Ckan does not do this. It's also not great. Just manually place all your mods in.
And this kinda thing is exactly why I spent so much time not using Nexus Mod Manager. Better to know how to do shit yourself.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is why I play stock. I can just start up the game and deal with the expected bugs and issues.

And CKAN is a piece of crap. Just avoid it. Installing mods is so easy anyway, just stop being lazy. Regardless, that many mods is going to have issues.
Pages: 1 ... 837 838 [839] 840 841 ... 848