Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 500253 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1380 on: January 04, 2015, 03:07:48 pm »

That sounds like overheating to me. I don't know that much about this, though.

Said he didn't hear any abnormal fan noise, it died quietly. If it were overheating, I'd expect the fans to go nuts before it went out (then again, I've had fans go nuts when there wasn't enough power in a PC, so...).
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 04, 2015, 03:10:31 pm »

Unless a fan is faulty? Specifically, the CPU or motherboard chipset fan (if it has one).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:13:06 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 04, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »

Unless a fan is faulty? Specifically, the CPU or motherboard chipset fan (if it has one).

To his knowledge, they were operating normally.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: January 04, 2015, 03:17:51 pm »

Does the PSU contain a fan? Is that working? Does the computer turn off faster after it's gone off once? That would definitely suggest something overheating. If it's totally random it would suggest something else, and PSU is a good guess for the kind of failure (to my knowledge, anything else would leave the power on (blue screen crash or black screen freeze)).
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:20:11 pm by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: January 04, 2015, 03:19:38 pm »

Does the PSU contain a fan? Is that working? Does the computer turn off faster after it's gone off once? That would definitely suggest something overheating.

Yes, probably (again, he said he didn't notice anything wrong, and a bad fan would have a sound change), no idea but it did go off faster with a heavier load, though it failed even if he used it lightly for a while.

It's hard to troubleshoot when all I have is his recollection.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: January 04, 2015, 03:25:01 pm »

It does sound like a PSU fault is a possibility.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: January 04, 2015, 06:27:42 pm »

You definitely need to go in there and look at the fans. Maybe bring a spare power supply to test with, if you can find one.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: January 04, 2015, 07:31:01 pm »

Run one of those little apps that shows the CPU temperature - like coretemp or speedfan.  It's the easiest and cheapest first step to take, since you can do it for free in a few minutes.  Well worth a few minutes to rule out something simple like a loose CPU heasink or failing fan...

When it dies, does it give the blue error screen or just go black?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: January 04, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »

Run one of those little apps that shows the CPU temperature - like coretemp or speedfan.  It's the easiest and cheapest first step to take, since you can do it for free in a few minutes.  Well worth a few minutes to rule out something simple like a loose CPU heasink or failing fan...

Just went black, as far as I know.

And he's not big on the idea of powering it on at all. He's afraid it'll end up frying something important. I'd try testing with a known good PSU, but said PSU is in use already.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 08:35:13 pm by PyroDesu »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: January 05, 2015, 04:30:15 am »

Just went black, as far as I know.

And he's not big on the idea of powering it on at all. He's afraid it'll end up frying something important. I'd try testing with a known good PSU, but said PSU is in use already.
Well, starting it up is probably the easiest thing to do. Failing that you'll have get a multimeter and check all the pins on the PSU. I would say though, if you didn't fry it already, you're not too likely to fry it by running it once or twice more.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: January 08, 2015, 02:30:32 am »

My heat sink is choked with dust, and I don't have 10 bucks for a couple cans of air. I do have an air compressor, is there any truth to the tales of these damaging your system?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: January 08, 2015, 02:37:33 am »

Yeah, actually, but mostly due to overpressurizing and knocking shit off the motherboard. If you can run about 5 psi out of your compressor, go for it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: January 08, 2015, 03:13:14 am »

Depending on the shape of your heatsink, physically cleaning it with a toothbrush or pipe cleaner or whatever else is handy might work too.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 08, 2015, 10:46:09 pm »

Its seems PSU was the right answer - we installed the new PSU (EVGA 500B) he had me order in for him and it's not died once since.

Wonder what I can do with the old, possibly bad one (which turned out not to be what I thought it was - I thought it was a Thermaltake TR-2, turns out to be an Ultra LSP).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:51:07 pm by PyroDesu »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 09, 2015, 12:35:42 am »

!!!Fun!!!:

My computer decided to crap out during the middle of a bit of post-work Battlefield 4, giving the dreaded black screen of death, something I haven't experienced since prior to reformatting around 6 months ago. It was working fine, until the FPS dipped to about 1, then I lost everything and couldn't even Ctrl+Alt+Del my way out.

Restarting brings me to the default Windows "Welcome" screen, which displays a bit of text for a split second then freezes, with the cursor still controllable. It does not progress past this blue screen, simply displaying the Windows 7 Professional logo at the bottom.

I am able to boot into safe mode, and even with Networking, so that's a small measure of comfort.

Heat does not appear to be an issue. The computer is dusted and cleaned on a semi-monthly basis, mainly due to the presence of a cat that frequents the room.The CPU is a water cooled i7, and ASUS' BIOS utility didn't reveal any heat issues upon restart. The only major change to the system was upgrading from a pair of nVidia GTX 560s to a single 970. The PSU is a sturdy 850 watt unit, and I am well under that number for power usage for my computer. Power surge should similarly be out of the question, as I have it hooked up to a decent UPS, and no other devices in my house were affected.

I've unplugged all non-essential peripherals to no effect.

I believe the error to be with nVidia's graphics drivers, so I'm attempting a clean install of a previous version. System Restore got stuck at the Initializing stage for 10 minutes, and as such appears to be useless.

Any additional advice or ideas towards fixing this issue would be appreciated.

Edit: I'm able to boot normally now, though it takes about a minute, which is about a minute longer than it used to take as my system drive is an SSD. I'm running some diagnostics to see what might have caused it in the meantime.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:38:20 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 348