Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 504535 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1365 on: December 26, 2014, 05:56:12 am »

Are you still using a HDMI -> VGA adapter? That may be why (both the greyed options and the washed-out look).

Is the monitor VGA-only?

I am, yeah. It just occurred to me that may be the cause of my troubles. I think most stores are still closed today, so I'll have to face the crowds tomorrow to get a VGA-DVI adapter. Yes, the monitor is VGA only.

New problem now... I just tried to open Scrivener and it didn't work. It opened as a background process, but it's not opening the actual program. It was working fine the last time I used it... Two days ago, I think? I've installed a lot of things since then, though, this being a new computer and all, so I have no idea what's causing the problems. : / I have all my writing stored in Scrivener, so... Need to get that working. Guess I'll try uninstalling then reinstalling, but other suggestions are most welcome.

EDIT: Nope, still won't work. This is definitely a problem. Google is useless, not helping at all. What on earth could be causing it to open as a background process, but not open the program so I can use it? I've never encountered this before... : / Please help!

EDIT2: Oh my god. It's the monitor driver. I uninstalled the SmartControl software, and now Scrivener works fine. Well, shit. Not sure what to do about this. Maybe I'll try the driver again when I have a VGA-DVI adapter, and see if it works then. If not... I may actually have to get a new monitor instead. Damnit.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:27:38 am by Sappho »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: December 26, 2014, 09:48:28 am »

That's really weird. Is it possible to install the monitor driver without the smart control software?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1367 on: December 26, 2014, 10:36:15 am »

Doesn't seem to be. When I uninstalled the software, it automatically uninstalled the driver. I'll poke around and see if I can figure out a way, though.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: December 26, 2014, 01:00:58 pm »

Normally if you open device manager and right-click on the monitor and choose update driver, you can tell it to search the CD and it'll install the driver without the software. This works for a lot of hardware :)
(The bundled software is often a bit crap)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

MaxLVB

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: December 26, 2014, 02:50:10 pm »

Doesn't seem to be. When I uninstalled the software, it automatically uninstalled the driver. I'll poke around and see if I can figure out a way, though.

Load the CD and start Windows Explorer
1. Open The PC directory
2. Open the Drivers directory
3. Open either Windows 7 or the Windows 8 directory
4. Select the .inf file
5. Right click and select install.

If you re-install the Smart Control software it will re-install the drivers as well, even when they're already installed.

Have you downloaded and installed the latest version of Smart Control to see if that fixes the conflict with Scrivener? Is Scrivener up to date?

Going back to one of your previous post's, you say the computer has a VGA port but it's disabled. This means it's most likely just switched off in the Bios.

Have you checked the computer manual, as it should have a section on setting up/turning on or off the various display options such as DVI, HDMI, or VGA.

For example, the computer I'm using has HDMI, DVI, and VGA ports, and if I wanted to, the Bios will allow me to connect all three types of monitors at the same time, simply by turning on all three display ports.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 02:52:18 pm by MaxLVB »

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: December 26, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »

I suspect the VGA port may be connected to some kind of onboard graphics, IIRC it has a GTX 760 or something like that, which most likely won't have VGA. VGA is considered somewhat legacy these days, because why would you use an analogue connection between a digital computer and a digital monitor?

(The answer is because HDMI has a royalty fee)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1371 on: December 26, 2014, 04:27:38 pm »

Thanks for the tips. I'll try reinstalling the drivers without the software once I have the VGA/DVI converter working. Doesn't seem worth it for now.

It's funny, I had no idea whatsoever that VGA was even outdated. I've had nothing but a laptop for so long (and I don't own a TV), I had never even heard of DVI until I was trying to set up this computer. The VGA port is indeed hooked up to onboard graphics, and apparently, to use it, I'd have to completely disable the video card. So I'll have to get a new converter (after returning this non-functional one) and hope it works out. If it doesn't, I'll have to spring for a newer monitor, I guess.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: December 27, 2014, 04:29:30 am »

Did you buy the computer pre-built, or build it yourself? Because graphics cards usually come with a dvi to vga adapter.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #1373 on: December 27, 2014, 04:40:14 am »

Did you buy the computer pre-built, or build it yourself? Because graphics cards usually come with a dvi to vga adapter.

Pre-built, and it definitely didn't come with anything. Not even a system restore disc or a Windows CD.

UPDATE EDIT: The screen was starting to turn off and on a lot, even while playing games, presumably due to the adapter. So I decided, hell with it, and I returned it and got this one: http://www.alza.cz/21-5-benq-gw2255-d428023.htm

First of all, holy SHIT is it amazing. It's huge, and the colors are just unbelievable. Best quality display I've ever owned, and hardly cost any more than the shitty one I just returned.

The downsides are that, 1) when I returned the old one, the guy found a *tiny* scratch on the side, declared it "used" instead of "new" and deducted 300 kc (about $15) from the money I got back, and 2) the damn thing doesn't come with a DVI cable. It has the capability, but only comes with a VGA cable. So I'm still using the adapter, and still getting the flashing now and then. I'll have to go back and buy a new cable for the friggin' thing.

Still, for the money, if you're looking for a new display, this one is truly lovely. It's like the difference between a 56k modem and broadband.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 07:26:36 am by Sappho »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1374 on: December 31, 2014, 03:04:04 pm »

GOG.com's downloader isn't connecting to the internet properly, on Window 7. I've checked the firewall and privilege level, which is all I can think of offhand. Any advice?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: December 31, 2014, 09:51:39 pm »

It has to get white middle class Anglo Saxon protestant male for it to work.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 31, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »

Look on their support page, under the game there should be a "general_troubleshooting_guide_downloading" article - you tried all that stuff?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1377 on: January 01, 2015, 06:00:47 am »

It's not downloading a specific game that's the issue, it's that the downloader itself can't connect to the internet.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: January 04, 2015, 03:03:32 pm »

So my brother's computer started powering off after a time. If he played a game, it would shut down faster, but even just internet browsing would eventually kill it. As he described it, it just completely shuts off, like if you pulled the plug on it. Once, he even claims he smelled ozone(?). He thinks it's his power supply, and I'm inclined to agree (it's not a stock power supply (but the rest of the computer is stock), it's a Thermaltake TR-2 - which, as far as I am aware, is not a very reliable PSU). Won't let me try putting his computer under load, which is a potential test (as far as I'm aware) to see if it really is the PSU (He's afraid it might blow something important).

Are we thinking in the right direction?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1379 on: January 04, 2015, 03:06:02 pm »

That sounds like overheating to me. I don't know that much about this, though.

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 348