Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 348

Author Topic: The Generic Computer Advice Thread  (Read 504479 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Generic Computer Advice Thread
« Reply #1980 on: August 31, 2015, 07:14:04 am »

That graphics card is so old nVidia no longer support it with driver updates, and is pretty slow too. If you are playing any remotely recent games it will be slowing you down , and there will be some things it won't run at all (it's only a directx 10 card, some directx 11 stuff will run on it but not all)
To be fair, I didn't choose that card. A repair shop put it in(after I paid for it) when the original card burned out.

Trying to find parts in my budget range, is this graphics card compatible with this motherboard? Unfortunately, I can't find the specs for my current motherboard, but I'm pretty sure it's outdated too.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: August 31, 2015, 08:26:38 am »

The MoBo's got a PCIe 3 slot, so yes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: August 31, 2015, 10:11:08 am »

When it was new, the 8400 was in the same class as the 740 is now, it's just old :)

Those are compatible (you'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard and graphics card that aren't compatible now in fact), but I'd try to see if you can stretch to a GTX 750, it's a far better card than the 740.

Following the recent directx 12 revelations, you may even want to consider an AMD card...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: August 31, 2015, 03:05:16 pm »

Those are compatible (you'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard and graphics card that aren't compatible now in fact), but I'd try to see if you can stretch to a GTX 750, it's a far better card than the 740.

If I did that, I'd need a new monitor since mine is not compatible with the 750. Then again, I really do need a new monitor, since this one is limited to 1024x768. I have seen them for sale where I work(a thrift store), so I can probably get them for less than 1/10th of the price if I'm lucky..
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: August 31, 2015, 03:43:08 pm »

I've had good luck with thrifted monitors that were maybe 5 years old. Just get a solid brand name.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: August 31, 2015, 04:01:13 pm »

Not compatible with your monitor? I'm assuming you only have VGA, but 750s with VGA do exist, and even the ones that don't have VGA have DVI-I, which can be adaptered to VGA (and probably comes with the adapter, and if not people are practically giving them away, pretty sure I have at least 5...)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: September 04, 2015, 12:08:30 am »

How do I disable the charms bar on my Windows 8.1 tablet?

Classic Shell and changing ImmersiveShell registry keys still leave it able to be accessed with a swipe, and all of the additional solutions I've foumd so far seem to be specific to trackpads or mice; I need a solution that will disable the gestures for my tablet's touchscreen
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: September 04, 2015, 12:26:31 am »

Also, is there any add-on for Firefox that could be used to block specific images from displaying on webpages?

I need to block out Google's new logo. I still have need for their search engine because it genuinely works better than DuckDuckGo, but I can't stand to look at their new logo for one second more; It's like staring into the face of Mephistopheles himself.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: September 04, 2015, 02:57:20 am »

Assuming you are using ad-block pro you could probably (I haven't actually tested this) just click its menu while on the google page, choose the "block element" option, and then click on the google icon.

You might need to do it a second time on the search results page itself, and another time for the image search bar and the image results pages, and so on though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: September 04, 2015, 04:00:19 am »

How do I disable the charms bar on my Windows 8.1 tablet?

As far as I know you can't. It's gone in Windows 10, though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:32:44 am by Thief^ »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: September 04, 2015, 10:49:52 am »

So there's two problems here, one more solvable than the other:

The less solvable one is probably hardware related, and it's that my computer sometimes turns itself on. It started a couple of days after it was built, and while it could be something wrong with the motherboard I don't have the dedication to take everything out to check.

The other is that Firefox will crash consistently when trying to view certain pages, including the about:newtab one. No idea what causes this, the pages don't seem to be in any sort of pattern.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: September 04, 2015, 10:58:01 am »

The first seems more easily solvable than the second to me: Make use of your warranty. Seriously, that shouldn't happen with a freshly built computer.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: September 04, 2015, 11:00:44 am »

But for that I'd have to actually find out what the problem is. And I don't have a second computer to actually test components either, at minimum it could be either the PSU, CPU, or MoBo that's at fault.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: September 04, 2015, 11:07:51 am »

Oh, didn't think of that… :-[ Sorry.

Could you ask a friend to test CPU and motherboard with their computer components?
Taste my Paci-Fist

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: September 04, 2015, 06:12:20 pm »

For the first problem, is turning on from a powered-off state, or waking up from sleep mode? If it's sleep mode, is your computer's networking device trying to refresh the network state?
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 348