Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926890 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #225 on: August 21, 2011, 05:13:16 pm »

Dungeons and Dungeon Keeper aren't even in the same genre.  Dungeon Keeper is an RTS, Dungeons is a Tower Defense.

<nitpick>Tower Defense is a subgenre of RTS.</nitpick>

Technically, yes.  However, in Dungeon Keeper you would attack other keepers' dungeons.  In Dungeons....you....don't.

By the way:
"Anything less than confrontational murder makes you less of a person."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: August 21, 2011, 05:14:49 pm »

Nope too bad, it used up the Dungeon Keeper 3 slot.

Actually I kinda hate when this mentality is done... but UNFORTUNATELY what companies consider "Just as good" is soo moronic.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 21, 2011, 06:09:10 pm »

What I want is something where I can make weapons/vehicles/ammo to my specs. I don't mean "+1 accuracy -1 damage", but as something emergent.

This is my current project, actually.  Steampunk setting revolving around adventuring, engineering and town management.  Though, due to not being a mad scientist myself, item creation will boil down to something less advanced than that.  Basically, after making something it runs a one time physics simulation, and records what happened.  Things like stopping power, weight, exhaust, oil spilling (yay flammables!) and such will be abstracted from that.  Hopefully you'll like the finished product.

Wow, that sounds cool! I kinda gathered that anything other than ocasional (once?) simulation would be neccessary in any non-lagtastic game.
 Eagerly awaiting progress!

One (early) image I had in my mind (I think from dreams I had after pondering what my "dream game" would be too much) involved Hammerfight-like vehicle cores (though I'm not sure gravity would be a good idea, maybe top-down like Bubble Tanks?) with stuff right out of Powder Game strapped to them. Weapons ranging from Hammerfight-style bayonets and maces through single-shot cannons all the way to automatic weapons and minelayers. Making magazines for a rotating weapon in 2D would be difficult however...

Other images I had were of a somewhat different (and I think, much more exciting) game:

An ingame shop of sorts, carrying a variety of "devices":
Each device on sale had a name, a picture, a description, tags (for example, "Weapon, [manufacturer name], 28Ux63U smooth cased[amunition reccomended], cannon, gun, semi" etc. on a semi-auto cannon), instructions, and a comments/review system.
 Creators of a new item can use old items (modular components) and... other ways... I think I glossed over that in my dream. Anything emergent/physics-ey is good. A device can be crafted and worked on custom in the field, or scanned to a blueprint at a suitably advanced factory.

Factories containing a blueprint (or using one from the operator) can return items, or a portion thereof, to their last scanned state for a cost of the difference in material and an amount of time/energy. They can also create a new one from the parts used in the design (with the option to build the subcomponents, sub-subcomponents, etc. instead of pulling them from inventory) for a lot of time/energy.
Factories of a given player/group will specialize. One group may have invested in factories that can cast C4 into dazzlingly complex shapes without error because they use a lot of shaped charges; another may not care about accuracy of explosives shaping. One group may have tech that allows the manufacture of very fine electronics because they manufacture autonomous or semi-autonomous devices; another may develop the ability to shape highly temperature resistant alloys into usable parts for use in rocket engines, flamethrowers, etc.
A simple factory can combine advanced tech and place it in a rough metal hull, but actually manufacturing the components may take expensive, uncommon technology.

With this design, anyone can capture, use, design vehicles around (supplies permitting!) and even kitbash together foreign tech, but proper (magic "repair/reload" buttons instead of welding/etc.) maintainance of advanced technology is limited to factories, who's owners may even charge for the use...

A starting player would probably get a simple, handmade craft made in a tutorial of some sort. Their first upgrade proves a choice: buy a mass-produced "newbie ship" from a faction/established player; or keep grafting things (bought, found, won in combat...) to their existing vehicle and patching holes with solder?
A player later on in the game would invest in having their vehicle of choice scanned and keeping the blueprint handy, taking the expense of updating it if they add to it.
A player or group would then find a hideout and start to develop their own industry. Small, basic factories could turn out spare parts for modular repairs, though probably of deteriorated quality (cheap X-rayed and 3D-printed clones lose some resolution)
Later on, a custom, modular craft may be designed, capable of being reliably and cheaply assembled by hand from off-the-shelf and custom-fabricated components. This craft can become the new "faction standard newbie ship" for players joining the growing group.
Eventually, mines/factories/etc. evolve to the point where the group can mass-produce vehicles/building parts/etc. entirely in factories, possibly developing simple drone craft to bring materials from facility A to facility B in their growing industrial base and allowing supply chains to function even when the players are offline.
Eventually the faction goes out and finds worlds of opportunity and hardship. Markets to peddle their technology, and trade for that of others. Hordes of NPC enemies to beat back. Other factions to wage war on. !!FUN!! for all involved.

Discuss the wall of text?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: August 21, 2011, 07:24:08 pm »

I've personally thought about a game where items were crafted using a one-time physics sim.

The issue, of course, would be players with greater out-of-game knowledge making weapons that out-teched anything other players could come up with. Of course, now that I think about it, one way to prevent that is to make everything have different names and properties from real-world components (perhaps randomly generated properties for items), requiring that the players experiment with everything to try and figure out what actually works.

Even then, though, people with experience in manufacturing, metallurgy, or any other similar skill could just find substances with similar enough (or superior if they're lucky) properties to their choice material and begin churning out effective tools, weapons, and machines. It would end up as a battle of the brains.
Nothing important here, move along.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2011, 07:27:45 pm »

And that's a bad thing how?
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2011, 07:31:50 pm »

True. I could imagine that it would end up with the technologically-superior brainiacs hiring and arming less tech-savvy soldiers to protect them and do their bidding.

And then the guy who works in the nuclear field finds a critical mass-capable material and decides that he wants to grief.
Nothing important here, move along.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2011, 07:33:20 pm »

Perhaps there could be a dynamic testing lab, in which you can conduct tests on the metal to find out what is it, and the game would give ratings for certain categories. Say you wanted to conduct an armor test on a newly-obtained metal. After the tests were complete, it would say how well the material defended against force attacks(ramming, cannons), penetrating(lasers, armor-piercing bullets), and  it would compare that metal to the other metals you own. That way, players could compile the best metal available, and make an educated choice on what to manufacture.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 21, 2011, 07:53:14 pm »

I'd do stuff like that in a Space Station 13 way.  The player doesn't necessarily need good out-of-game knowledge (beyond which two chemicals to use) and deal with the very specific...specifics with in-game skills.

Having an advanced simulator for people to play around you could still have, but you'd still want the abstract system for people (like me) who can't design things for shit for shit (you know those physics games where you make "vehicles" to move across a 2D terrain using little more than sticks and wheels?  Yeah, I never got past the easy levels).

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 21, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »

I've personally thought about a game where items were crafted using a one-time physics sim.

The issue, of course, would be players with greater out-of-game knowledge making weapons that out-teched anything other players could come up with. Of course, now that I think about it, one way to prevent that is to make everything have different names and properties from real-world components (perhaps randomly generated properties for items), requiring that the players experiment with everything to try and figure out what actually works.

Even then, though, people with experience in manufacturing, metallurgy, or any other similar skill could just find substances with similar enough (or superior if they're lucky) properties to their choice material and begin churning out effective tools, weapons, and machines. It would end up as a battle of the brains<Just what I've allways wanted. 70% think, 30% twitch.>

True. I could imagine that it would end up with the technologically-superior brainiacs hiring and arming less tech-savvy soldiers to protect them and do their bidding.    <Awesome. From either side.>

And then the guy who works in the nuclear field finds a critical mass-capable material and decides that he wants to grief. TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

And that's a bad thing how?

That is a GOOD thing, seeing as I might just come out as part of the brainiacs' guild, or at least a wannabe...
Of course, randomized elements are awesome. Allows for handwaviums fitting in better with "mundane" materials too. Still, can't go wrong with Fe and C. Oh, and U. Lots and lots of Uranium...Muahahahahaaaaaa!!!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:29 am »

I'd have a map, lets just say the same one from a Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thones), accessed in Mount & Blade Style. However, not only limited to combat... you gotta eat, get armor made and so on. There would be action servers and RP servers. It is dedicated only to players of mature behavior (At least no 14y olds that walk up to the king as peasant and try to stab him with a rock then bitch at admins).

I'd imagine the possiblity for very epic battles and missions, The Man of the North march from the wall, freeing the hordes from beyond, bla bla.

Farming/resource crafting would be mostly done by NPCs with a PC in leading positions, having there own farm/mine or therelike that they lead. Death would be seriously painful and depending on your position in the game, possibly permanent (Again, server based) and everything is loot/buildable as you desire. Want a wall of wooden spikes around your farm? Go for it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2011, 07:26:16 am »

Guitar Hero on a real guitar so I wouldn't have to hear people who literally think they're great at guitar because they clicked a few buttons.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2011, 07:27:45 am »

We have that, it's called playing the guitar.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 22, 2011, 07:42:50 am »

A very realistic, open ended dragon simulator, where you play as various species of dragons, and where you can interact ( either peacefully or aggressively ) with other races and randomly generated kingdoms.

I wish there was a proper guerrilla warfare game, with both political and military maneuvering. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2011, 07:48:09 am »

A very realistic, open ended dragon simulator, where you play as various species of dragons, and where you can interact ( either peacefully or aggressively ) with other races and randomly generated kingdoms.

Sounds like a fun idea for a Roguelike, and I would probably start implementing it if I weren't knee-deep in abandoned projects already... I do know a friend who would probably be enthusiastic about helping me do it - or would if he could code or bother to learn the basics...

I wish there was a proper guerrilla warfare game, with both political and military maneuvering.

I wish LCS to be one, but... well, it's got some traditional aspects that probably won't be changed too fast (or ever), so I guess it would have to be separate. In the mean time, there's an old DOS game called Central Intelligence where you play as CIA agents who're trying to overthrow a commie-symphatizer dictator both through direct action and by inciting masses.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2011, 09:08:34 am »

This'd be nice.

Of course, I'd also be picky and want the ability to masquerade as a God (ah la DF [POWER]s) or otherwise assert yourself as the ruler of a country.

Oh, and the ability to play the Long Game and have multiple Xanatos Gambits in play at any one time, although that'd be difficult to pull of programatically (as well as gameplay wise) due to having to accurately model the choices of a being four to six times more intelligent than Einstein.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 577