Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929151 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #765 on: March 27, 2012, 11:01:43 pm »

It's now, and an asteroid has just been spotted with a 0.5% chance of hitting earth when it passes by in two weeks; not only is it large, it is also unstable and outgassing, making its orbit highly unpredictable. You get a chance to select a few options then- your background and basic character stats. Seven days later, a new report increases the odds to 10%...

Fast forward 6 days. It is 10:28 AM. Astronomers have just officially announced that the asteroid has a 90% chance of striking the earth, and if it does, it will strike in between 6 and 29 hours. Depending on the background and stats you selected, you may be in one of several civilian starting locations- perhaps at home, or in an office building, or in classes.

You hear someone scream.

The asteroid actually does break up and hit at a random time between 6 and 29 hours after that introduction. In the meantime, you are free to direct the events as they unfold. This would be limited by the capabilities of software and design, but ideally there'd be a very large area of urban and rural terrain representing a generic modern coastal city region. Possibly a specific location. Then some kind of system would populate areas with realistic NPCs and other encounters. For the first few minutes of the game, only normal traffic would exist, but as news spreads it would quickly degrade to some kind of riot, which you'd have to avoid or survive. If you try to flee immediately, you won't be well prepared...

After the impact somewhere in the ocean and a few places on land- the asteroid broke up on entry- the game changes slightly to you having to survive, basically, the whole planet trying to kill you. Tsunamis, earthquakes, weeklong night and monthlong storms and floods, and on, and on, and on...

Basically, Lucifer's Hammer, the game.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:04 am »

A Warcraft 3 like-game where you actually play by the rules of Feudalism, levying footmen, archers, and such from peasants, instead of conjuring them from gold, wood, and food. 

You know, there could be a mod for that. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 28, 2012, 05:50:30 am »

A Warcraft 3 like-game where you actually play by the rules of Feudalism, levying footmen, archers, and such from peasants, instead of conjuring them from gold, wood, and food. 

Make it a Crusader Kings II mod and I'll play it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 28, 2012, 06:09:16 am »

Crusader Kings 2 already is a feudalism simulator. 

Unless you're talking about a Crusader Kings 2 Warcraft 3 mod. 

Care to elaborate? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:47 am »

why wc3? have you tried the stronghold franchise? settlers? although these franchises are renown for their depth, some of their iterations were somewhat "dumbed down" into something resembling more of a traditional rts, while retaining some less abstracted approaches from the original games

speciffically, i'm thinking of stronghold legends and settlers V

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 28, 2012, 08:01:36 am »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:22 am »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 28, 2012, 09:06:15 am »

A game about asteroid impact survival
I'd play that.
I would too.
Me too. Lets create a huge quote pyramid until someone makes it :P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 28, 2012, 09:54:23 am »

Crusader Kings 2 already is a feudalism simulator. 

Unless you're talking about a Crusader Kings 2 Warcraft 3 mod. 

Care to elaborate?
I meant a CKii WC3 mod indeed. Although someone has to make it first ofc:p

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 28, 2012, 10:16:51 am »

I'd play that.
I would too.
I'd also play it.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #775 on: March 28, 2012, 10:26:01 am »

I'd play that.
I would too.

I was thinking about this. We'll use the Outerra engine. Just need to add the road layer- which adds a set of roads from real-world data- and then procedurally generate cities and structures from population density and satellite imagery. Then add landmark buildings.

Then we have the whole world as it is initially. The hard part is procedurally destroying an area and decaying it abstractly, and having those same effects occur over time when you are present.

Basically, if you try to stay in an office tower, you should be able to see the structures around you get burned down, flooded, destroyed in earthquakes... and yet if you instead drive out into the wilderness, then return to town, you should find the city in the same state.

One way to do this will be to break all cities into lots, which can then have a few attributes (including looted status, structural damage, burnage, water damage, as well as initial structural state...) These could then all change the structure generator. So if a building fails a "survive earthquake" roll, its structural strength could drop down a few points, and it immediately changes model to the same type of structure except damaged.

Now, ideally one would be able to enter buildings but we can't have every building in sight be fully floorplanned. We can instead only generate the outward appearance of a structure in a procedural way, then only fill in buildings in the lot you're currently in... The only problem then is snipers in other, distant lots, but we could probably have those dudes be abstractly positioned "in a window" until you're close enough to generate the floorplan.

So now we just need to store the changes the player makes. That's just a matter of making an overlay for the lot map that shows the player-triggered deviations from the procedural generator; if they loot a building, that lot is marked as "picked clean" the next time the generator looks at that area.

You use more conventional object building for things the player builds.

Now, this is all approaching this issue from a very open-world direction. On the other hand, a didactic linear story would have a number of very significant strengths-

Detailed characters/NPCs.
Much less R&D on building an multiphasic proc city generator
Better-looking areas and more detail.

I guess that one option may be to have something of a first-person branching linear structure. At specific points, you could choose to leave the city, or stay, or simply reach a point where you have enough spare first aid supplies to keep the love interest alive, or not. It would require good writers.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 28, 2012, 11:51:36 am »

Reminds me of the original Lords of the Realm, although that was straight up turn-based strategy, not an RTS.

KG

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: March 29, 2012, 12:23:43 am »

Since I recently played Mata Nui Online Game II, I've been wanting a game where you can play a member of a tribal society, doing what you can to help out and having a connection to your people. So, when you leave the village, you'd have have the people you grew up with with you, maybe, and you'd be able to send messages to your tribe (via other travelers you come across, such as traders), and you'd get word back from them.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 29, 2012, 07:28:30 am »

First person RTS /w voice communication/modern hardware.

You guys know that thing you put on your head and then when you look left, the char/screen moves left, too? That should come with the game.

Anyway, you are a being you made yourself - highly detailed, overly complicated char gen, please, yes. At least of the level of Dom3, where you have a certain point count and choose a body/magic/aura/skills/units/buildings. You then rule/command your race (or just walk off on your own, maybe you made yourself a dragon or you prefer to be a lonely necromancer in a tall tower - invest some points into your Home building?).

This would be Online ofc... maybe not even with a set target, everyone able to do what they desire in the generated Fantasy world.
So yeah, basically real time dom 3 with more complications and choices.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 29, 2012, 08:43:36 am »

First person RTS /w voice communication/modern hardware.

You guys know that thing you put on your head and then when you look left, the char/screen moves left, too? That should come with the game.

That's only viable with a multi-monitor setup, in which case, you don't actually want the screen to move.

As written, you'd be looking at the screen out of the corner of your eye (to the right) while facing left, which is bloody useless (the center of focus moves right while your center of view moves left).
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 577