Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926818 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #780 on: March 29, 2012, 08:58:43 am »

First person RTS /w voice communication/modern hardware.

You mean like Allegiance?

It even has a Bay12 topic.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 29, 2012, 09:07:55 am »

You guys know that thing you put on your head and then when you look left, the char/screen moves left, too? That should come with the game.

That's only viable with a multi-monitor setup, in which case, you don't actually want the screen to move.

As written, you'd be looking at the screen out of the corner of your eye (to the right) while facing left, which is bloody useless (the center of focus moves right while your center of view moves left).

Actually, that's been common for quite a while, and doesn't need multi-monitor.  It avoids the "corner of the eye" problem by amplifying head movements.   TrackIR is the commercial version.   I use FreeTrack when playing ArmA II or DCS A-10 all the time, and keep catching myself trying to use my head to look around in other games.

KG

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 29, 2012, 09:20:54 am »

There's a source mod of Half-Life 2 which uses a webcam and moves the camera with your head tilt. You can use it to edge around walls and "lean". Not sure how good it is, only saw the moddb for it.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 29, 2012, 09:22:56 am »

Yeah Arma is the first game I heard about using it, followed IL-2... also gloriously missing the point : D

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 29, 2012, 12:55:03 pm »

Yeah Arma is the first game I heard about using it, followed IL-2... also gloriously missing the point : D
Missing the point? How so?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 29, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »

You guys know that thing you put on your head and then when you look left, the char/screen moves left, too? That should come with the game.

That's only viable with a multi-monitor setup, in which case, you don't actually want the screen to move.

As written, you'd be looking at the screen out of the corner of your eye (to the right) while facing left, which is bloody useless (the center of focus moves right while your center of view moves left).

What about a monitor-visor?  Something like a welding mask made from an LCD screen.  I'd be amazed if it doesn't already still exist.

Anyone else ever play Pteradactyl Madness when it was making it's rounds through military bases?

Actually, here it is, I remembered the wrong name:

http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=dactyl-nightmare&page=detail&id=12493
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:52:21 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 04, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »

Well, awesome news, we can stop wishing and start throwing money at one of our dream games: Shadowrun Returns =D !!!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 04, 2012, 02:12:17 pm »

Well, awesome news, we can stop wishing and start throwing money at one of our dream games: Shadowrun Returns =D !!!

Yeah, I posted that in the Kickstarter thread earlier. 8)

When Kickstarter goes right.  Oh man, do want.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:39 am »

It dawned on me that with the 100th anniversary of World War I just over the horizon (in terms of development timelines, at least), I'd expect some studios to be working on WWI-themed games.

Granted, most of those will probably be flight sims or naval sims, because the infantry experience tended to be:

1. Pick up your single-shot bolt-action rifle.
2. Climb over the trench and run a few hundred yards through barbed wire, in full view of 50 machine guns.
3. Die with 10,000 of your friends.

-or-

1. Sit in your soggy trench for months at a time, doing nothing but avoiding dying to Spanish flu or trench rot.
2. Die horribly when a mustard gas shell lands in your trench.

But....one FPS possibility that could be fun would be the mining and counter-mining that took place underneath most of the major battlefields.
Think of the possilbilities...trying to keep track of your squad in a network of dimly-lit tunnels, while you're essentially playing CTF: trying to deliver mines underneath enemy objectives while simultaneously defending your own objectives. All kinds of trap options, short firefights in confined tunnels, in many ways it could be done as a Counterstrike mod. If someone could add destructible terrain and digging (think Red Faction), you'd have a pretty awesome game.

Or the same concept could be done as an RTS. Something along the lines of Dungeon Keeper, maybe?

Could even make for an interesting DF mod someday when sieges are more developed and the AI enemies can dig.

EDIT: Typo corrected.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:55:06 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 09, 2012, 12:29:16 pm »

Isn't there some Minecraft-like that's like that?

Ah yes, here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 09, 2012, 12:48:20 pm »

(You indicated WWII, the first time.  Slip of the fingers, of course...)

When it comes to Flight Sims, there's loads of previous WWI-era (or 'includes WWI-era) flight-sims, but of course "better graphics" would come to the fore.  I think an extra dimension might include additional work to assemble the 'crates' shipped over from blighty (or wherever, or ferrying them to the forward airfields from some rearward staging spot or even the factories), and the fact that you might be able to survive crashes (or parachuting, if you're not in the RFC) into No Man's Land and neither die-outright nor 'automagically' find yourself back at your airfield.  (Of course, in extremis, this could turn out to be an "escape from POW camp" sim. ;) )

Similarly, naval sims are pretty much out there.  Perhaps something with a bit more AI for the subordinates beneath you (assuming you're in command) or the commanders above you (if you're supposed to be a midshipman, gunner, whatever, instead of the traditional single-/multi-ship command position.

The infantry experience does seem unpromising, I'll admit.  I've played WW1 trench games in table-top wargaming format, and it made is so depressed.  (Figures placed in trenches, one player decides to charge, loses 90% or more of their men.  If the other player then decides to attack he then loses 90% or more of the men, even against the aforementioned depleted forces.  Any tanks, planes and other vehicles that take part generally end up breaking down, crashing, hit by friendly fire, or something.  Apparently quite realistic!)

Though i suppose it could be done (with some background-AI fudging so that you never quite get "a blighty one", and always have a decent chance of getting away from the gas, shelling, etc, while play progresses) insofar as the decisions you make and the action that you do see sends you up the Field Commission-ladder.  Not that you'd ever get to be sitting in Haigh's shoes (or mightn't you?) directing the whole battle-front (and, some would say, you couldn't do any worse at doing so!) but you could affect the topology of the front.  Of course, when you're "just" controlling the maps in front of you you're not guaranteed to have all the right information, and the closer to the front you are (to get better communications, both ways) the more danger you're in from sudden changes in the front lines and whatever ranged/aerial attacks the enemy might send against you.  Or, indeed, underground!

Because I really like your sapper-based ideas.  And I can't think of much to add to this, save for the possibility of a similar "overview" mode where you're not running them in FPS-mode, but directing efforts (perhaps in a time-compressed mode?).  Again, with inaccuracies and deviations from reality...

(Hmm, Ace Of Spades... might have a look at that, later.)

Yannanth

« Reply #791 on: April 09, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:05:18 pm by Yannanth »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 09, 2012, 10:00:12 pm »

Isn't there some Minecraft-like that's like that?

Ah yes, here.
Well then you clearly haven't played it in the last year.

Or at all. >..>

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 10, 2012, 01:44:02 am »

A Real time strategy game, Napoleonic era or such, where you play as a general, but you have to command from a first person view.

Imagine, having to find a position on the battlefield to watch the battle from.  Or maybe you can fight in the battle itself, at the cost of not being able to make tactical decisions once both ( or more ) armies engage.  THe plus side is that you will gain more glory, prestige, etc for participating directly.

Regiments won't be able to respond immediately, no military unit in history has been able to do that within a split second of the order being given.  A lot of stock will be placed on your general's personality, a la Medieval 2 total war.  If you get the, say, "cunning" trait, troops will be better at ambushes, trickery, etc.  Having the "brave" trait will inspire your men, giving them the ability to stand longer in battle, and with more ferocity.   

Inspired by people like Napoleon and Frederick the Great. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 10, 2012, 02:59:36 am »

You can have a fine ww1 game, just make it online and steam-punky. But then when dickzerg69 rams you with his zeppelin and yells "nub", it may ever so slightly destroy the ww1 feeling...

The ace of spades way is the way to go in this situation, honestly one could just up the graphics and turn the massive blocks to pixel size and you have a commercial title.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 577