Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929374 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1020 on: June 16, 2012, 09:03:53 am »

Damn, I even googled it. Too bad I'm not the only who misspelled it on the internets.

Huh.  Cause google gives me a corrected search result.
*Shrug*

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: June 16, 2012, 11:46:41 am »

Well, then I guess I'd at least settle for a MMO where you don't have to take up a combat role. Or a thing like Anarchy Online where they explain all the MMO-ish bits in-game and you can buy things that aren't for combat and you can craft things with tools you own in a semi-logical process rather than putting a bunch of shit on an anvil or a magic altar of some kind and hoping for the best.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: June 16, 2012, 11:50:45 am »

Tried A Tale in the Desert?
Personally I wish someone would remake SimEarth, for a more complex simulation with the processing power of modern computers. Also an interface which isn't terrible, though I suppose it wouldn't be so terrible if not for dosbox.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: June 16, 2012, 01:32:19 pm »

I wish there was a modern successor to Uncharted Waters New Horizons that was not a crappy MMO.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: June 16, 2012, 01:44:50 pm »

Tried A Tale in the Desert?

Tale in the Desert would suck less if there was less emphasis on being the first person to do something.

Among other things.

SomethingCreative

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 16, 2012, 04:09:25 pm »

An MMO Sandbox that allows you to play as an animal within an ecosystem and revolves around survival

Behold, there is actually something like this that exists. It's called WolfQuest, and no, it is not nearly as good as your idea is.

It was also funded by the good ole United States. Tax dollars hard at work, making video games, and feeding starving video game developers! I'm so proud that I could weep hot tears of joy.

The players play as wolves in Yellowstone, and eat critters. There is no chat (I think?). I wouldn't actually suggest that anybody attempt to play this.

Go ahead and watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMskYHPG4jw

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 16, 2012, 04:29:41 pm »

An MMO Sandbox that allows you to play as an animal within an ecosystem and revolves around survival

Behold, there is actually something like this that exists. It's called WolfQuest, and no, it is not nearly as good as your idea is.

It was also funded by the good ole United States. Tax dollars hard at work, making video games, and feeding starving video game developers! I'm so proud that I could weep hot tears of joy.

The players play as wolves in Yellowstone, and eat critters. There is no chat (I think?). I wouldn't actually suggest that anybody attempt to play this.

Go ahead and watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMskYHPG4jw
I watched another video about it. Game looks actually good but after watching this video... I think I'll go play CoD or something.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 16, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »

A MMORPG that feels sort of like a living world, or at least not like some bizarre combat-themed amusement park.

Closest thing to this that I've found is Wurm Online.  There are players who have been playing for years who almost never fight anything.  There are players who have played for years who do almost nothing other than hunt or fight other players.  Dedicated crafters, farmers, etc.  There are PVE and a PVP worlds, and characters cannot carry anything except their names, and coins in the bank between PVP and PVE worlds.  There is a part of the PVE world that's PVP light.

If you go the PVP side, it's full loot, you can destroy the enemy, take all his stuff, destroy their crops, destroy their house, take all their valuables, and sacrifice the rest to your gods.

The world is player-shapable.  What I am currently doing to my own deed is permanent on the land unless I change it, or someone else changes it.  Trees I plant will grow, and even sprout and expand.  Trees I cut are gone unless they are replanted, or regrow due to sprouting from other nearby trees.  Crops must be tended and harvested, or they will rot in the fields.  Animals must be groomed and fed or they will develop disease and die.  Animals can be bred with a crude system of genetic traits.

The crafting system is hands-down the best crafting system in existence in any MMO, IMHO.  The original SWG crafting was the closest in complexity, and it falls far, far short.

The Cons.

1st person view only.

Avatar and NPC graphics are still mostly GI-Joe Kung Fu Grip quality animations at best - BUT there are changes in the works, spiders, bison, chickens, and cows are now in the game in the experimental client using the updated graphics engine.

It will eat your life if you let it.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:42 pm »

Yes, I know that game and that idea was inspired by that game and reading "White Fang" by Jack London. In the story, the reader gets to see the world from the perspective of a wolf-dog and I thought it'd be awesome to play a game like that.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 16, 2012, 10:43:01 pm »

Yeah, it was probably a mistake to say "living world". A more accurate description might be a "world that feels alive" or "a world that you could live in". Not a game where you can't do much more than spend time in pursuit of the Almighty End Game Content or digging an irrigation ditch in some Hobbesian nightmare world. I just want to be able to by a tent in town, go out into the virtual wilderness with some friends or by myself, and go camping. Maybe catch a fish or two (and I wouldn't have to have a certain amount of skill to catch certain kinds, though I wouldn't be adverse if skill even drastically helped my chances), clean them, cook them, and eat them. Then, if there are people with me, someone could pull out an instrument of some sort and play it, and we could all dance in the moonlight.

It could take place in the End Game Rusher so long as I don't have to be a certain level or have to grind to be able to do all the stuff I mentioned. I suppose it could be in the Hobbesian nightmare world, though I'm wary of that since I really don't want some jackass to come in and murder everyone while we'e out on our virtual vacation, and I'd like to be able to get away from some city full of NPCs rather than a player-made fortress created to protect the one cow they own from raiders.

Also, I'd like to be able to possess a collection of tools that I can use without being near some sort of crafting station. If I'm out in the wilderness I wanna be able to whip out my needle and thread and mend some clothing right then and there. And, of course, if I have the tools and materials, just make something form scratch in a logical fashion. If I mess up at all, I want to end up with a mostly worthless product, rather than everything evaporating because I did such a poor job I somehow managed to destroy matter. And, if the product is so worthless as to be unusable, I want to be able to scrap the piece of junk and get back some of my raw materials. And crafting would work like fishing, in that you could luck out and do everything perfectly your first time, though practice will ensure that you do a good job consistently.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:57 pm »

Sounds like you should try camping IRL.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 16, 2012, 11:05:08 pm »

Camping in real life is time consuming, you can't easily do it with people form around the world, and it involves a lot of bugs. Plus, you can't go camping on an alien world in real life or go to sleep in a forest lit up by faeries.

Anyway, that was just an example. The main idea is to improve the general MMO experience for people who aren't Achievers or Player Killers. To add something into the modern MMO for Socializers and Explorers.
Glory to Arstotzka!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 17, 2012, 12:00:42 am »

Camping in real life is time consuming, you can't easily do it with people form around the world, and it involves a lot of bugs. Plus, you can't go camping on an alien world in real life or go to sleep in a forest lit up by faeries.

Anyway, that was just an example. The main idea is to improve the general MMO experience for people who aren't Achievers or Player Killers. To add something into the modern MMO for Socializers and Explorers.

As I mentioned before.  Wurm.  There are people who do exactly what you have described.  Sounds like you are more the PVE type.  The PVP side is cutthroat, the PVE side, aside from a sometimes passive-aggressive conversation in chat, is PVP-free unless you go to a specific place on a specific server.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 17, 2012, 05:04:12 pm »

EVE online?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 18, 2012, 05:59:55 pm »

Is it bad that my first thought at instruments was Mabinogi?
You can do all of that stuff on there, IIRC, it sounds almost like he's TRYING to describe it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 577