Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926849 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1920 on: February 24, 2013, 12:02:51 am »

The thing is that people want dragons to punch in the face.

The problem is that AAA doesn't realize that there are mesoamerican dragons.

Just look at any Aztec/Mayan god.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: February 24, 2013, 12:25:21 am »

Well, obviously.  What I mean is, none of the big companies want to make a game with feathered serpents because "the players want dragons."  They feel they can't take risks, so they don't, and the game ends up a flop.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: February 24, 2013, 12:51:12 am »

Well, obviously.  What I mean is, none of the big companies want to make a game with feathered serpents because "the players want dragons."  They feel they can't take risks, so they don't, and the game ends up a flop.
When folks say Dragon, 9 out of ten times, they're talking about european dragons. You have to denote from an NA, and EU prospective, mesiamerican or Chinese dragons.

And the gaming industry does take risk. The issue isnt risk, the issue that Gamers bitch about wanting different things, then wont buy it.

Most new IP fail, and what sells the most are sequels from established franchises. Gamers as a consumer basis have no fuckin idea what they want.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: February 24, 2013, 01:55:27 am »

From a South American perspective, people still don't think of Quetzalcoatl when you say "dragon." Just say "Quetzalcoatl" and be done with it.

If you want to start a new IP without having a track record, best bet is with something indie.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: February 24, 2013, 05:00:47 am »

When folks say Dragon, 9 out of ten times, they're talking about european dragons. You have to denote from an NA, and EU prospective, mesiamerican or Chinese dragons.

And the gaming industry does take risk. The issue isnt risk, the issue that Gamers bitch about wanting different things, then wont buy it.

Most new IP fail, and what sells the most are sequels from established franchises. Gamers as a consumer basis have no fuckin idea what they want.

True, there are a lot of dragons.  My point is there are A LOT of kinds of dragons and we keep getting the same ones.

Also, the reason new IP fails is because it isn't carried through.  Corners get cut and mechanics changed to make it more like "what sells," so it end up being crap.  Anything that does come out and isn't crap tends to not be advertised very well/much and the publisher ends up shooting themselves in the foot.

Of course, the same is true for remakes.  They keep getting genericicized into bland mush.  But it sells because "gamers" liked the last one, or hope it is more like the first one, or...

But yes

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: February 24, 2013, 05:17:05 am »

True, there are a lot of dragons.  My point is there are A LOT of kinds of dragons and we keep getting the same ones.
Man, I've yet to meet any. Am afraid there's not much dragons around here. Lucky you.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 24, 2013, 11:20:29 am »

Man, I've yet to meet any. Am afraid there's not much dragons around here. Lucky you.

Gotta know where to look. ;)
I've even met a couple who are here from off-world,* with various meanings as to what that even means to them.

On the gaming front: western dragons are too stereotypical.  Not enough mold breaking in either the dragons' role or in what kind of dragon.  Find a book called Mistress of Dragons, read that series.  It breaks every single mold I know of in terms of dragon personality and machinations.

*Long story short: I'm pretty sure this one gal I know is not crazy.  She ran into someone else the same age, from another part of the world with the same story.  Not in the "I was abducted by aliens" kind of "me too" but more..."Wait, you were born in [tiny town] the same year I was, went to elementary school at [tiny school], and also went to [small church]?  How did we not run into each other before now?" kind of way.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 11:22:15 am by Draco18s »

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 24, 2013, 01:46:05 pm »

Exactly my point. Personally, I'd rather fight a feathered serpent than generic European dragon #6.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 24, 2013, 01:54:06 pm »

Exactly my point. Personally, I'd rather fight a feathered serpent than generic European dragon #6.
Kinda in agreement. Even an Asian dragon would be a nice change of pace.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 24, 2013, 02:01:21 pm »

There is a fallacy in ascribing to every member of a group the disparate opinions of each member of that group, and this fallacy is most clearly obvious when you ask for feedback from 'gamers' (especially games with very high player feedback, like MMOs).

Gamers do know what they, individually, want. If 'gamers' continue to complain after a request was granted, it is not that the same people are moving goalposts (though it could be, depending on how realistic the request was and how faithfully it was met), but new people with new complaints.

You can see the same effect asking large groups about politics. The difference here is that poll results are often first separated into like-minded camps (e.g. left wing/right wing, to use the United States as an example), and then further those opinions are not lumped onto the group entire, but rather expressed as a percentage.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 02:03:54 pm by Niveras »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: February 24, 2013, 02:38:42 pm »

Yeah. For example, the most vocal gamers could be also a tiny minority. What they want is not what ALL gamers want, what the MAJORITY of gamers want is expressed in what they purchase.

So if you make what the vocal minority wants, they're happy, but you only sell like, ten copies. And if you make what sells, the vocal minority is pissed, but you sell ten million.

I'm not saying this is what it is, but it has some explaining power in that regard.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 24, 2013, 05:42:25 pm »

More like, the vocal minority complains about something, so you take steps to address the issues they bring up and they quiet down. But in so doing, another bunch of people are irked by the changes you made, and so begin voicing their displeasure. Two completely separate groups of people, but both labeled as 'gamers' and 'the vocal minority,' causing all feedback to seem irrational.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: February 24, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »

Kinda in agreement. Even an Asian dragon would be a nice change of pace.

Even more irritating wehn they opt for dumb brute European dragons. I'd rather have someone play up the silver tongue for once.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: February 24, 2013, 09:32:35 pm »

You talk about breaking the mold, but you want to conform Quetzalcoatl to the mold of a draconic monster to be fought? The mesoamerican god of civilization, the sun, and the wind?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: February 24, 2013, 09:42:28 pm »

You talk about breaking the mold, but you want to conform Quetzalcoatl to the mold of a draconic monster to be fought? The mesoamerican god of civilization, the sun, and the wind?
But playing villains and fighting gods who bring order is fun.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 577