Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926684 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2070 on: April 06, 2013, 10:41:49 am »

I feel like this might have been posted before, but I've kinda dreamed of a true 'grand strategy' game. No, not like EU3 or whatever.

Let's call this "Aspirations of Greatness".

There are 3 (up to 5) distinct 'levels' or 'styles' of play.

1. Traditional grand strategy: You rule a realm. You no longer have time to handle the petty squables of your lords nor to command most of your armies - instead you delegate, politicize, plot, and negotiate. You also handle the allotment of resources and funds from your grand treasury to others. You may provide general advice or directives to your lords. This level plays probably somewhat like EU3 or maybe CK2, but in real time.

Optional sub-level: Advisor: Perhaps through personal preference or through being absorbed into another's kingdom, you serve the ruler in some fashion. Maybe you handle all the negotiations. Maybe you just come up with advice while secretly plotting in the background.

2. Mid-level strategy: You rule a province or an army. Possibly both. You are the lord who squabbles with other lords, and you also have to make sure your requests to the ruler and your requests of your generals get paid attention to. You mainly concern yourself with provincial level politics but you you also have to worry about the crops and the economy in your region. Depending on how much control you have over the local politics (I guess 'how big your province/army is') this might play again like a subsection of EU3 or CK2, or more like an RTS game.

Optional sub-level: Mayoral or city level or an army: Direct delegation of economy and crops in your area. OR commanding a bunch of local troops. Politicking with other mayors for the advice of your lord, or subterfuge against them somehow. RTS level play.

3. Low-level strategy: You lead a small section of troops or people. Maybe you farm. Maybe you run a shop. Maybe you are in command of a small section of army units. Nonetheless, you take orders and you complete objectives in real time. Of course, you could rebel, but... Plays very much like any top-down or squad based combat game.

In terms of play: 1 commands all 2s in their realm, 2s command all 3s in their realm. 3s appear as 'hero units' in 2's vision, and 2s appear as 'governors' or 'generals' and their groups of 3s as armies to 1s.

So in essence: 3 (or 4) tiers of gameplay, changing from squad-combat to RTS to EU3 - all in real time - as you start delegating over more and more regions. Of course, the difficulty is synchronization (probably heroes and generals style, but with the added 'grand strategy' tier) and making everything fit together in a coherent way. Especially when you throw in the fact that combat is being waged between multiple rulers of realms simultaneously, each of whom have governors who may change hands at any time.

I mention things like farming, shopping, etc, because presumably there must be an economic aspect as well, and I assume there are gonna be some people who want to be farmers. But I guess the primary draw of the game would be the strategy and combat aspects.

A single player mode might work well starting you at Tier 3 and allowing you to prove yourself and amass enough followers to eventually grow to Tier 1. Of course, you could also lose everything at Tier 1 too, so it's not all about growth - one lucky assassin or coup is all it takes...

That sounds like what  Ultima Ratio Regum is trying to achieve. You should check that out  :D

I've always wanted a cooperative/semi-cooperative game of first person (or third person) spaceships, in which each player is a crewmember. You can do whatever you want in the spaceship, say, go to a gunning station, go to the helm to fly it places, go power the shields, etc. However, there are other players in your ship also running things, so you have to coordinate who's doing what. Then the spaceship gets into fights, maybe with other player  controlled spaceships, and everyone's rushing around repairing things, manning stations, racing for the escape pods, etc. Over time, the players in the spaceship can use booty/profits to upgrade the ship, maybe buy more ships, and eventually make a big ass space fleet to go about conquering things.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: April 06, 2013, 10:58:31 am »

I feel like this might have been posted before, but I've kinda dreamed of a true 'grand strategy' game. No, not like EU3 or whatever.

Let's call this "Aspirations of Greatness".

There are 3 (up to 5) distinct 'levels' or 'styles' of play.

1. Traditional grand strategy: You rule a realm. You no longer have time to handle the petty squables of your lords nor to command most of your armies - instead you delegate, politicize, plot, and negotiate. You also handle the allotment of resources and funds from your grand treasury to others. You may provide general advice or directives to your lords. This level plays probably somewhat like EU3 or maybe CK2, but in real time.

Optional sub-level: Advisor: Perhaps through personal preference or through being absorbed into another's kingdom, you serve the ruler in some fashion. Maybe you handle all the negotiations. Maybe you just come up with advice while secretly plotting in the background.

2. Mid-level strategy: You rule a province or an army. Possibly both. You are the lord who squabbles with other lords, and you also have to make sure your requests to the ruler and your requests of your generals get paid attention to. You mainly concern yourself with provincial level politics but you you also have to worry about the crops and the economy in your region. Depending on how much control you have over the local politics (I guess 'how big your province/army is') this might play again like a subsection of EU3 or CK2, or more like an RTS game.

Optional sub-level: Mayoral or city level or an army: Direct delegation of economy and crops in your area. OR commanding a bunch of local troops. Politicking with other mayors for the advice of your lord, or subterfuge against them somehow. RTS level play.

3. Low-level strategy: You lead a small section of troops or people. Maybe you farm. Maybe you run a shop. Maybe you are in command of a small section of army units. Nonetheless, you take orders and you complete objectives in real time. Of course, you could rebel, but... Plays very much like any top-down or squad based combat game.

In terms of play: 1 commands all 2s in their realm, 2s command all 3s in their realm. 3s appear as 'hero units' in 2's vision, and 2s appear as 'governors' or 'generals' and their groups of 3s as armies to 1s.

So in essence: 3 (or 4) tiers of gameplay, changing from squad-combat to RTS to EU3 - all in real time - as you start delegating over more and more regions. Of course, the difficulty is synchronization (probably heroes and generals style, but with the added 'grand strategy' tier) and making everything fit together in a coherent way. Especially when you throw in the fact that combat is being waged between multiple rulers of realms simultaneously, each of whom have governors who may change hands at any time.

I mention things like farming, shopping, etc, because presumably there must be an economic aspect as well, and I assume there are gonna be some people who want to be farmers. But I guess the primary draw of the game would be the strategy and combat aspects.

A single player mode might work well starting you at Tier 3 and allowing you to prove yourself and amass enough followers to eventually grow to Tier 1. Of course, you could also lose everything at Tier 1 too, so it's not all about growth - one lucky assassin or coup is all it takes...

That sounds like what  Ultima Ratio Regum is trying to achieve. You should check that out  :D

I've always wanted a cooperative/semi-cooperative game of first person (or third person) spaceships, in which each player is a crewmember. You can do whatever you want in the spaceship, say, go to a gunning station, go to the helm to fly it places, go power the shields, etc. However, there are other players in your ship also running things, so you have to coordinate who's doing what. Then the spaceship gets into fights, maybe with other player  controlled spaceships, and everyone's rushing around repairing things, manning stations, racing for the escape pods, etc. Over time, the players in the spaceship can use booty/profits to upgrade the ship, maybe buy more ships, and eventually make a big ass space fleet to go about conquering things.

sounds like  scrumbleship.

link.www.scrumbleship.com/

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: April 06, 2013, 04:34:04 pm »

A game where wizards bring back dinosaurs to fight aliens. Nuff said.

In Earth's greatest time of need, the world's nations combine their resources, finally bringing together all the miraclemen, magicians, alchemists, and assorted occultists they've been keeping imprisoned in madhouses for centuries. They create the Fossil Thaumaturginator, and with the help of avant-garde genetic scientists and authoritative filmmakers, clone an army of dinosaurs. At the pinnacle of the project, a crack team of ace dromeosaurids, filled with utahraptor and deinonychus of a wide array of nationalities and accents and armed with the latest weapons, armor, ancient mystic artifacts, and spells.

Various choices and strategies in the war cause side effects that can become wide-reaching and affect the dynamic. For instance, does a zombie apocalypse begin because of magical pollution from your weaponized necromancy, or because of alien bioweapons, or because the aliens tried to copy your magic? Who released the grey goo, if it gets released at all? Even if it might win the war, are you prepared to accept the ethical consequences of creating Hitlerosaurus Stalinodae?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: April 06, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »

A game where wizards bring back dinosaurs to fight aliens. Nuff said.

In Earth's greatest time of need, the world's nations combine their resources, finally bringing together all the miraclemen, magicians, alchemists, and assorted occultists they've been keeping imprisoned in madhouses for centuries. They create the Fossil Thaumaturginator, and with the help of avant-garde genetic scientists and authoritative filmmakers, clone an army of dinosaurs. At the pinnacle of the project, a crack team of ace dromeosaurids, filled with utahraptor and deinonychus of a wide array of nationalities and accents and armed with the latest weapons, armor, ancient mystic artifacts, and spells.

Various choices and strategies in the war cause side effects that can become wide-reaching and affect the dynamic. For instance, does a zombie apocalypse begin because of magical pollution from your weaponized necromancy, or because of alien bioweapons, or because the aliens tried to copy your magic? Who released the grey goo, if it gets released at all? Even if it might win the war, are you prepared to accept the ethical consequences of creating Hitlerosaurus Stalinodae?
XCOM: Sectoids v. Dinomagi!

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: April 06, 2013, 05:05:54 pm »

A remake of Floor 13 might be cool, but also might be considered too realistic to be made today.
Signature goes here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: April 06, 2013, 05:16:50 pm »

Fantasy version of X-Com. You run a guild and need to protect the world from a monster/alien/demon/whatever invasion. You compete with other guilds for support from the many factions. Reputaion stuff with them to give you cooler stuff, magic, research and develop sharper swords and pointier sticks, multiple classess of peasants that level up into different archetypes. Glorious destruction and turn based combat.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: April 06, 2013, 05:34:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure this has been said before, but Igynpadca.

Think of the craziest, most player-centric MMO you can imagine, and then take it up a notch. Or five. If only it could be made.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: April 06, 2013, 06:38:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure this has been said before, but Igynpadca.

Think of the craziest, most player-centric MMO you can imagine, and then take it up a notch. Or five. If only it could be made.
Huh. Looking back at it, pinecones first started out as just something just used to power the Lightning Rod, to something which was supposedly used in a bafflingly large amount of things (which was backed up by in-game lore), to PTTG??'s first patch notes (which I still find hilarious) mentioning pinecones being devalued, which subsequently led to it becoming a currency.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: April 06, 2013, 06:39:22 pm »

Hah, I almost fell for that. Let's not turn this thread into that one by discussing it, shall we?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: April 06, 2013, 06:46:05 pm »

Fine with me. Did you hear they're working on a new game called Igynpadca 2: Cosmic Revolution?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2080 on: April 06, 2013, 06:52:34 pm »

I wish there was a Mushi-Shi JRPG. T'would be sick as hell. But in the words of PieceWise, the main character knows too much that we don't, and it would be hard to pull it off without some kind of encyclopaedia on hand at all times.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: April 06, 2013, 06:56:06 pm »

Fine with me. Did you hear they're working on a new game called Igynpadca 2: Cosmic Revolution?
I have not, but we're derailing this thread, so why don't you make a new thread about it so we can discuss it there?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: April 07, 2013, 12:13:50 am »

Yet again, I wish for another Nintendo RTS. Like a Fire Emblem one.

Or a Gundam RTS. That would work to. Though that would NOT be nintendo, in case you thought tha tI thought about~ *BlahBlahBlah*

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: April 07, 2013, 12:15:44 am »

Not sure Fire Emblem would work as an RTS, given it's reliance on unique characters and careful number crunching.

A Gundam RTS, on the other hand, could potentially be amazing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: April 07, 2013, 12:21:08 am »

Fire Emblem mostly came to mind because I was thinking of that ONE playthrough of Path of Radiance I did. . .

I used the AR to give

-All characters Reinforce

and I used the Control all characters code to win certain levels and recruit generic enemies.

Thus, the only non-Ike units were either generics or forgettable Jagen-style bosses. (Oh, and Greil, but his Cutscene version is so weak. . .)

With Reinforce.

I gave up after a while, but I personally imbued EVERY. SINGLE. SOLDIER. With a backstory.

It's a habit of mine.

Plus, spinoffs seem to be able to be a different game in the same timeline with completely different mechanics. For instance, wasn't Wargaming thinking of a part Card game part strategy game WOT game?

Or, SMT and Persona.

But yes, I see your point very well. It's just that it's not been a big point for me.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 12:23:46 am by Markus »
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 577