Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929321 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2205 on: April 30, 2013, 04:08:26 am »

A game about first-responder paramedics would be cool. Or firefighters. Or even medics in the battlefield, as long as the focus stayed on saving lives. For how long video games have existed, I can think of very few straight attempts at games like this, most of them being Trauma Center and the only other one being a shovelware title for the Wii (I think, don't quote me on that).

http://www.bay12games.com/ww1medic/

;)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:00 am »

Hm... a game where the main view is of a world sliced down the middle, showing all the different layers down to the core. From this view you would have a base on one part of the surface where you begin mining, seeing the shafts reaching down through the layers.

Possibly it could have opponents who're also mining. You mine to collect resources for building underground habitats and other structures as well as missiles which you use to fire at the opponents mines attempting to trigger collapses in their underground bases. Liberal usage of crater-creating explosions and water physics to allow tunnel breaching as well as flooding.

The goal could be to reach the core of the planet first to reach an alien artefact or portal to another world, though research is needed to survive the increasing pressure the deeper you go into the planet.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 30, 2013, 12:38:59 pm »

Nothing much, just a management game where you build an underground base and fight horrors.

X-COM: SCP?

Hm... a game where the main view is of a world sliced down the middle, showing all the different layers down to the core. From this view you would have a base on one part of the surface where you begin mining, seeing the shafts reaching down through the layers.

Possibly it could have opponents who're also mining. You mine to collect resources for building underground habitats and other structures as well as missiles which you use to fire at the opponents mines attempting to trigger collapses in their underground bases. Liberal usage of crater-creating explosions and water physics to allow tunnel breaching as well as flooding.

The goal could be to reach the core of the planet first to reach an alien artefact or portal to another world, though research is needed to survive the increasing pressure the deeper you go into the planet.

Somehow, I think there's already a few games like this.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 30, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »

A lot of flash games, though they're in the vein of dig-dug than that idea.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 30, 2013, 01:08:46 pm »

Me and my brother spent last night discussing a really interesting concept for a game.

Mad Max as a multiplayer, class-based videogame.

There'd be four classes. Leapers, Gunners, Drivers, and Engineers. Leapers are adept at parkour and can leap from car to car with ease, and are generally agile. Gunners are good with guns and can fire steadily even while on top of a car. Drivers are excellent stunt drivers and can keep the car steady even when it should spin out. Engineers can repair the car and can cause oil slicks and other ways of impeding the other drivers. They can do each other's jobs, but they don't do them as well.

The main mode would be two teams on an open road trying to take the other out by any means possible. Cars would be assigned like squads in Battlefield: you could bring your own car, or join in by getting in a car. Each car would be arranged in classes: very light being motorcycles and dune buggies, light being sports cars, medium being station wagons, heavy being SUVs and hummers, and very heavy being trucks and APCs. The team's amount of cars would be limited by weight: you could have a horde of motorcycles, or a single truck surrounded by a few sports cars protecting it.

The game itself would be like TF2 on wheels. The cars would have to handle very well, and it'd play in the first person. Everything would be authentic, though not exactly realistic: this is a stunt filled car film from the 70s/80s rather then an actual post-apocalyptic scenario. Cars would flip, get knocked off the road, smash into other cars and end up in a horrific mangling. Complicating things would be the fact that players can get out of their cars and jump from car to car like in the climatic finale of Mad Max 2. It should be possible to have a fist-fight occur on top of a truck that's about to go on two wheels and flip.

Another thing would be modification. You can choose to modify the cars before the match with a lot of options. You can make even station wagons tanks, and trucks really fast with nitro. You can also add turrets and catapults. You aren't limited to cars either. It's less like TF2 and more like Brink when customizing your character. You can choose your gender, facial features, and hair style. Clothing is also there as well. Your character can also learn their own skills and traits, such as the ability to have better balance when running around on cars, or the ability to heal your teammates inbetween matches.

You can also modify your own weapons and make them. One of the cheaper ways to make a flamethrower is to simply combine a bottle of alcohol and a zippo lighter which will allow you to gulp down a bottle of jack and blow fire into the enemy's faces. You could also have the option to pee on your own melee weapons in order to infect your enemies, like Jarate but with everything.

The teams would consist of four seperate factions with their own starting equipment and bonuses. The Bandits are the pragmatic but still dangerous robbers and cutthroats of the post-apocalyptic world, who are generally the "jack of all trades" faction with generally okay weapons and no particular disadvantages or bonuses to the classes. The Psychos are utterly insane bezerkers who are on so many drugs  that they have pretty much snapped in half, and have more health and a focus on melee weaponry and a focus on motorbikes. The Cops are the last remnants of the police and military forces after the apocalypse, and have much better firearms (with rarer ammo) with a focus on hummers and cop cars firmly in the medium-heavy range. The Tribals are a collection of tribes who decorate their cars and weapons religiously, and have a focus on unconventional weaponry and cars such as bows and trucks. However, each faction doesn't have it's own leveling system of weapons: the majority of weapons/vehicles after the initial starters can be generally used by anyone.

From this starting position, a lot could be done with the formula. New maps (Imagine having to drive crazily and fight at the same time when you're driving along mountain cliffsides), new gamemodes (Defend the Truck? Chicken? Racing?) and new characters and weapons.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2210 on: April 30, 2013, 08:50:00 pm »

-snip-
Everything sounded great except pissing on your weapons. That was dumb.

Respawning would be easy too since wrecked cars could just appear at the back of the pack. Someone should make this happen. I could actually see a mainstream company making this work fairly well as long as their vision was clear and, as you said, serious, but like an action movie.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 30, 2013, 09:53:47 pm »

One idea I was throwing around in my mind for a while was a combo rougelike/dream game, based around two phases, the Waking and the Sleeping realms.

In the waking realm, the main character is just some joe shmoe working through life (ideally during younger times, to reflect the development idea). While the player has little to no control during the waking realm, the main game would be primarily affected by events in the Waking Realm, such as being scared of a passing spider.

The Sleeping realm is where most of the action takes place in the game. While the sleeping avatar will start mostly as a basic character, as time passes he/she will grow in both power, though in a specific manner based off the interests of the Waking person (More athletics oriented would see better boosts for fighters, intellectual more developed sci-fi gunners, creative seeing magic boosts.) The avatar would primarily move within the dreamscape, which can vary in size and difficulty depending on how old and stressed out the Waking person is. This world would be based around a node system, with certain areas being much more save (dream nodes) and some especially dangerous (nightmare nodes)

The main purpose of the avatar in the dream realm is to begin work on solving some of the events in the waking realm before they grow to a phobia (in the spider example above, arachnophobia), and eventually through more events, a crisis. They do this by assaulting controlled nodes by the potential fear. Within these nodes, you would see a large amount of the enemies based off that enemy (i.e., giant spiders for the above example). The trick being that you only have a certain time limit to complete any dream raid before the person wakes up. Death during a raid would not affect the character, but reduce the clock until the event developed into a phobia.

Phobias and Crises arise when you start to fail at your task. While the waking self is afflicted with a phobia, the dream world will contain considerably less dream nodes, buffed versions of the phobia enemies will appear, and the waking self will accumulate more stress from those events relating to the phobia. Crises could arise in a combination of high stress relating to phobias or at difficult points in the Waking persons life. During Crises, phobia enemies would become common in all nodes, nightmare nodes would be incredibly common, and Death would lead to a Game Over (via a shattered soul).

The only thing that holds me back on actually bothering to learn a programming language to make it is that I have no clue what the win conditions would be.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: May 01, 2013, 12:40:17 am »

Death by old age.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2213 on: May 01, 2013, 12:47:22 am »

-snip-
If you decided to actually make this game, I would help so hard, in whatever way that I could. Just saying.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: May 01, 2013, 12:50:03 am »

Death by old age.
Instilling good psychological values in yourself? Unlocking psychic powers and seeing the Waking person go crazy with them?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2215 on: May 01, 2013, 01:08:47 am »

Death by old age.
Instilling good psychological values in yourself? Unlocking psychic powers and seeing the Waking person go crazy with them?
There's the answer! What if your adventures in the dream world are the key to unlocking your IRL abilities? Perhaps you would be able to play as the Waking person? That seems like a good fix that would add a lot more depth to the gameplay, but I can see how it might detract from what appears to be your goal of centring the game around the experiences in the Dream world, and how the two lives clash and influence one another. Would the Dream person just be the IRL person, or would he have a different personality? And would they be aware of one another?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: May 01, 2013, 09:14:38 am »

Also, I BADLY want a game where you play as tin soldiers/something else in an enormous house (think all those rats maps in TF2, CS etc.)
Toy Story was nowhere near good enough.

I mean, of all things, it's the most plausible "large-scale" game design I wanted so far - since you won't make an Internet Explorers game or a Dwarf City, but such a game would be perfectly possible.

Fighting with little toy guns, flying on RC airplanes, trying to scale down the staircase...Or fending off cats. GOD, THE CATS!
Ok lets see... Just gonna like some Wiki Pages to some known games...

"Small Soldiers"
Based off the movie of the same name, the game is played much like Quake of old on the PSOne. Movies premiss is that of Action Figures are implanted with a Military Grade AI Chip to make them more real which in turn makes them fully real. Set with that of the Mindset of their Characters, the Human Faction of the toy brand proceed to be what humans normally are, Complete arseholes. Good guys are the Alien race that actually realize that they are in fact toys but still want to live their Characters dreams of finding a safe new home. The Game itself though actually plays the InCharacters World of sorts...

"Microvolts" MMO Third Person Shooter F2P avaliable on Steam right now. While majorly a Sexed Up game for the Teenage FPS Males out there, its actually quite a good arena style shooter game when you get past the idea that your playing with dolls who wear close to nothing. Because well, their dolls. Still. Having a Female Character shaking her arse on the screen while moving in a very seductive way, kinda not all right...

"Toy Soldiers" RTS where you control an army that fights in a Diorama of sorts, don't know, haven't actually seen much gameplay but I know you can see a bigger Real World outside of the Ingame Diorama setting...

"Army Men games" Remember those little green plastic soldier things. They got some games too, I remember a game where you could lose some guys cause they moved over a stove which turned on at a random time and they melted...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: May 01, 2013, 09:40:38 am »

-snip-
Everything sounded great except pissing on your weapons. That was dumb.

Respawning would be easy too since wrecked cars could just appear at the back of the pack. Someone should make this happen. I could actually see a mainstream company making this work fairly well as long as their vision was clear and, as you said, serious, but like an action movie.

Yeah, the pissing on weapons idea was just a jokey suggestion on how complex the weapon modification system should be.

My brother had an idea for vehicles that fall behind on the race (But not getting wrecked) could just end up having to take a "another route around": a long line of environmental hazards that would end up with the player bursting through onto the first place. You would end up with low health so it wouldn't be all benefits, but it prevents frustration.

rausm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: May 01, 2013, 09:58:13 am »

Not everything you wanted, but try Dig-n-Rig : https://www.digipen.edu/?id=1170&proj=24629
Simple, beautiful, free ...

Gruntdonttoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:07 am »

Also, I BADLY want a game where you play as tin soldiers/something else in an enormous house (think all those rats maps in TF2, CS etc.)
Toy Story was nowhere near good enough.

I mean, of all things, it's the most plausible "large-scale" game design I wanted so far - since you won't make an Internet Explorers game or a Dwarf City, but such a game would be perfectly possible.

Fighting with little toy guns, flying on RC airplanes, trying to scale down the staircase...Or fending off cats. GOD, THE CATS!

There's an amazing game (well back then it was amazing, not sure how it holds up) called Toy Commander for the dreamcast.

You complete various missions using RC vehicles such as helicopters, planes, cars, trucks, and tanks. (I think there are some crazy ones too) Each mission takes place in a different room in the house and there's also multiplayer which i sunk all my time into. It's only TDM from what I can remember but depending on the vehicle type you can go into different areas like mouse holes as a car and up chimneys and vents as planes/helicopters. Ah the memories.

P.S. All the weapons were also house hold items like a pencil launcher (rockets) and eraser bombs (mortar-ish)
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 577