Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926867 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2250 on: May 04, 2013, 03:44:54 am »

-snip-
The Thing is afraid of fire. He fears fire. It is his weakness because it puts the entire body in danger, and thus all the cells stop working together, because they want to escape. If you blasted a Thing with a flamethrower, no matter what he is dressed up as every part of him will immediately bail, because 'fuck fire it hurts.'
That didn't always happen as it did in the movies, but I see your point.
Well there have to be some rules and exceptions, otherwise the whole thing would be a mess. Making a good monster means knowing when to draw the line, and John Carpenter nailed it perfectly, so let's not ruin it by trying to poke holes in the idea.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: May 04, 2013, 03:46:11 am »

-snip-
The Thing is afraid of fire. He fears fire. It is his weakness because it puts the entire body in danger, and thus all the cells stop working together, because they want to escape. If you blasted a Thing with a flamethrower, no matter what he is dressed up as every part of him will immediately bail, because 'fuck fire it hurts.'
That didn't always happen as it did in the movies, but I see your point.
Well there have to be some rules and exceptions, otherwise the whole thing would be a mess. Making a good monster means knowing when to draw the line, and John Carpenter nailed it perfectly, so let's not ruin it by trying to poke holes in the idea.
True dat.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2252 on: May 04, 2013, 04:08:40 am »

True dat.
Why Xant?! Why can't you understand meeeeeeeeee??!!! D:

Oh yeah, I have a new idea for a game. Its going to rock. You want to be first on the waitlist?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 04, 2013, 04:17:26 am »

I had a dream. A dream that one day, a motivated and more-or-less skilled someone can sit down and make a game that would be Space Station 13 + FTL. You play as a single crewmember along with other people being other crewmembers, and you have to perform all the actions, whether it's combat or fixing the engine or piloting, yourself.

The way I see it, the ship you use and its surrounding are would operate like FTL, except in an open world: every time you fly to a location, an event may pop up. The crew gets some time to deliberate on what to do, and make the decision over the console.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2254 on: May 04, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »

I had a dream. A dream that one day, a motivated and more-or-less skilled someone can sit down and make a game that would be Space Station 13 + FTL. You play as a single crewmember along with other people being other crewmembers, and you have to perform all the actions, whether it's combat or fixing the engine or piloting, yourself.

The way I see it, the ship you use and its surrounding are would operate like FTL, except in an open world: every time you fly to a location, an event may pop up. The crew gets some time to deliberate on what to do, and make the decision over the console.
That would be epic if you were playing with friends.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: May 08, 2013, 03:30:17 pm »

Also, that.
I mean, almost all the information needed is right there, just code it! (easier said than done, but still)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: May 08, 2013, 03:52:34 pm »

Well the game exists. BUT not for us that live in English speaking counties...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlFVCo_Gl9Q
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: May 08, 2013, 05:01:49 pm »

So pretty much an open-world Guns of Icarus thing?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2258 on: May 08, 2013, 06:35:33 pm »

So pretty much an open-world Guns of Icarus thing?
Except not bad.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: May 08, 2013, 06:58:51 pm »

Magicka + the spell creator in Oblivion.  Minus the limitation on how many elements you can combine.  It'd be an RPG where say, you could specialize in one kind of element while branching out would bring advantages and disadvantages, and should you balance all of them you become a Prismatic jack of all trades, master of none.  You get to make your own spells and choose their damage, effects, manna cost, duration, range, and cooldown.  But balanced, so the more damage you add the more manna cost and cooldown get added.  You'd have access to burst damage, continuous spray, area of effect, damage over time, high cooldown but overpowered spells, walls of an element, element aura, stuff like that.  Specializing in a different element would yield different effects for each sort of spell.  Like focusing in water would make you progressively more agile while slowing down others to a point (i.e. you travel faster on water, which slows others).  You'd be heavily resistant to fire, but god forbid should a thunder or ice mage show up once you soaked the entire area.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: May 08, 2013, 07:07:35 pm »

That would be epic if you were playing with friends.

Sounds like lo-fi Artemis, with a delay timer to keep things a little less hectic.  The b12 thread for Artemis is here, but stale. (Oct 2012)

I like the idea, for sure.  The delay would make it a lot easier to play over the net with voice, lag tolerance and such.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: May 08, 2013, 07:08:19 pm »

Magicka + the spell creator in Oblivion.  Minus the limitation on how many elements you can combine.  It'd be an RPG where say, you could specialize in one kind of element while branching out would bring advantages and disadvantages, and should you balance all of them you become a Prismatic jack of all trades, master of none.  You get to make your own spells and choose their damage, effects, manna cost, duration, range, and cooldown.  But balanced, so the more damage you add the more manna cost and cooldown get added.  You'd have access to burst damage, continuous spray, area of effect, damage over time, high cooldown but overpowered spells, walls of an element, element aura, stuff like that.  Specializing in a different element would yield different effects for each sort of spell.  Like focusing in water would make you progressively more agile while slowing down others to a point (i.e. you travel faster on water, which slows others).  You'd be heavily resistant to fire, but god forbid should a thunder or ice mage show up once you soaked the entire area.

Or you could just hit people with an axe. Slash N' Smash: because BIG heroes need BIG weapons!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: May 08, 2013, 07:25:08 pm »

Have you seen Magicmaker?. But as that game is a sidescroller and the magic crafting is fairly limited (in terms of scope; the variety of elements is certainly there), I expect that you have and that the post was inspired by that idea, but in an isometric environment and with a broader magic system.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: May 11, 2013, 12:41:55 pm »

I'd also want a true ant colony simulator, with all the details being simulated in real-time.

You could choose a specie (not ALL of them would be in, but a fair amount to give the player some sort of customization), and either play as the queen or one of the lesser worker/soldier ants.

That one time where Wikipedia comes in handy for making a gameplay visualization from an otherwise normal biology-related article.

Mating flights

Ants mate on the wing, so "flying ants" are males and immature queens. Mating / nuptial flights of Lasius niger usually occur around June to September throughout the species' range; in North America flights usually occur during the autumn, whereas in Europe they generally take place during the hot summer months of July and August. Flights can contain thousands of winged males and females.[2]

Disparities between local weather conditions can cause nuptial flights to be out of phase amongst widespread populations of L. niger. During long-lasting, hot summers, flights can take place simultaneously across the country, but overcast weather with local patches of sunshine results in a far less synchronised emergence of alates (winged individuals).

Once the queens have mated they will land and discard their wings and begin to find a suitable place to dig a tunnel. Meanwhile the males generally only live for a day or two after the mating flights and will then die.

New nest

Once the tunnel has been completed, a queen will block the entrance and retreat to the bottom. Subsequently, the queen will begin to dig out a small chamber; this will serve as the founding chamber of the new colony. Generally, a queen will begin to lay eggs immediately after the construction of the chamber; the eggs will hatch after 8–10 weeks. Until the eggs hatch and grow to maturity, a Lasius niger queen will not eat, relying on the protein of her wing muscles to be broken down and digested. In some cases, a Lasius niger queen may eat her own eggs in order to survive.

Egg to ant

Lasius niger have 4 stages of development egg, larva, cocoon and adult. Lasius niger lay tiny, white kidney shaped eggs with a smooth sticky surface which helps them to be carried in a group instead of one by one. After hatching Lasius niger proceed onto the larva stage resembling tiny maggots. The larva need to be fed by the queen (or workers in the case of an established colony) if they are to mature, as they feed the larva grow shedding their skin, doing so usually three times in total. With each molt the larva grow hooked hairs which allows them to be carried in groups. When Lasius niger larva reach the last molt they are generally too big to be carried as part of a group and so are carried singularly. Once the larva grows big enough it spins a cocoon around itself. To aid this process a queen (or workers) may bury the larva so that it can spin its cocoon undisturbed, and begins a process of metamorphosis. Once the process is complete the Lasius niger worker emerges from the cocoon, at this stage Lasius niger is completely white but will darken over the course of an hour until it has turned black.

Colony established

The first worker ants that emerge are very small compared to later generations. At this point the workers immediately begin to expand the nest and care for the queen and brood, they eventually remove the seal from the entrance to the nest and begin to forage above ground. This is a crucial time for the colony as they need to gather food quickly to support future growth and particularly to feed the starved queen, who would have lost around 50% of her body weight. From this point on the queen's egg laying output will increase significantly, becoming the queen's sole function. The later generations of worker ants will be bigger, stronger and more aggressive, reason being dependent on the amount of nutrition Lasius niger receives at the larva stage. The initial brood being fed only by the scarce resources available to a queen will be much smaller than brood supported by a team of foraging and nursing workers. Provided workers are able to find food at this stage the colony will see an exponential rise in population. After several years once the colony is well established the queen will lay eggs that will become queens and males. Black ants often make large nests with extensive tunnel connections.

While full 3D would be ideal, I'm pretty sure that ASCII would do just as fine, if not better.
Hell, once we get fortress mode skills in adventure mode in DF, I can see someone modding that.

Simulation RTS? Seems like the closest possible comparison, but I doubt it really serves it proper justice.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: May 11, 2013, 02:29:58 pm »

The only problem is that individual ants don't do much.
They only really do anything interesting when there's so many of them together. And even then it's only the patterns in the group that make it interesting, not the actions of the individuals.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 577