Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926764 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2415 on: June 02, 2013, 10:07:42 pm »

According to early projections by actual physicists and engineers, a real space battle (in orbit) would be somewhat more akin to a game of billiards than the aircraft-carrier naval battles and dogfights they're usually portrayed as. Basically, the combatants are orbiting around the planet in every which way, and they fire whatever projectiles so as to intersect each others' orbits while evading through subtle orbital adjustment via the thrusters.

You might fire a missile/shell so that it orbits a few times before hitting the target, and other crazy and math-intensive things.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: June 02, 2013, 11:18:41 pm »

This, but with online multiplayer and a focus on combat. Best racing game ever or best racing game ever.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: June 04, 2013, 01:51:22 pm »

Reach for the Stars in any format. Specifically the 2000/2005 version, which was discontinued because the quality wasn't high enough. It's simply not available online in any format, but I remember playing the demo back in 2000 and thinking it would be a fun game.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: June 04, 2013, 05:47:25 pm »

According to early projections by actual physicists and engineers, a real space battle (in orbit) would be somewhat more akin to a game of billiards than the aircraft-carrier naval battles and dogfights they're usually portrayed as. Basically, the combatants are orbiting around the planet in every which way, and they fire whatever projectiles so as to intersect each others' orbits while evading through subtle orbital adjustment via the thrusters.

You might fire a missile/shell so that it orbits a few times before hitting the target, and other crazy and math-intensive things.
That's what I always think when people mention space battles.
It's not like you can really fly straight at something from orbital distances and expect it to work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: June 04, 2013, 06:01:56 pm »

That's what I always think when people mention space battles.
It's not like you can really fly straight at something from orbital distances and expect it to work.
That's why I like Mass Effect.  It acknowledges that, and points out how most ships are not outright destroyed in space combat, as unless they are holding a critical position they can just do an FTL jump and fly away to safely.  Now, why they show combat in the game itself at a thousand of the "Knife Fight" range talked about in the codex I don't know.  Except with the Battle of the Citadel.  That's the only place I can see it as excusable.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: June 04, 2013, 06:11:08 pm »

Rule of cool, I assume.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: June 04, 2013, 08:37:35 pm »

I don't know why, but I had an idea for a board game called "Shenanigans"(is there already a board game called that?)

I don't have any idea what the rules would be, but they would certainly involve a situation where one player does something and another player gets to call them out on it by calling "Shenanigans!".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2422 on: June 04, 2013, 08:41:38 pm »

I don't know why, but I had an idea for a board game called "Shenanigans"(is there already a board game called that?)

I don't have any idea what the rules would be, but they would certainly involve a situation where one player does something and another player gets to call them out on it by calling "Shenanigans!".
That sounds really bad, actually.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: June 04, 2013, 09:25:07 pm »

Maybe it would work if it was intentionally made really campy? I think the premise of the game should be that you're playing a family that is playing a family board game, and maybe they all secretly hate each other.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2424 on: June 04, 2013, 09:36:52 pm »

Maybe it would work if it was intentionally made really campy? I think the premise of the game should be that you're playing a family that is playing a family board game, and maybe they all secretly hate each other.
Now it sounds funny.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: June 05, 2013, 05:20:41 am »

Sounds like it may best as one of those "make your own rules" games, where one of the rules is you can call out a bad rule with "Shenanigans!"

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: June 05, 2013, 08:46:47 am »

This thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With tons of content, high moddability and online multiplayer to boot.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: June 06, 2013, 01:35:38 am »

Something I've wanted to see for a long time.  An FPS deathmatch where your only weapons are a grappling hook, portal gun, gravity gun, and the environment. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: June 06, 2013, 01:58:55 am »

This thing.

DANG that reminds me of a game that isn't anywhere close to that good uhhh... I forget the name but you had a brainbot and you had to protect your...

Ohh yeah Cortex Command.

There are some aspects of Cortex Command I think is genius (for example the "create a base" before a match)

I look at that and I go "Wow, A Cortex Command if they actually had multiplayer!"
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 02:00:40 am by Neonivek »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: June 06, 2013, 02:46:34 am »

This thing.

Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 577