Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929225 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2535 on: June 20, 2013, 04:38:16 pm »

Blood Money is the best Hitman game. I feel pretty confident saying that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: June 20, 2013, 04:54:56 pm »

What I want is a game with true freedom of choice, and not choosing one of two ways to accomplish an objective. For example, a mission could have to trying to enter a base, for either killing a target or rescuing someone.  To enter, you could-

Use some form of bolt cutters to cut a hole in a fence, then avoid patrols as you approach your target
Kill a guard and take his uniform
Blow up a giant fuel tank, then use the distraction to slip in.
Get a vehicle, strap some C4 to it, and ram it into the front gate
Hide underneath a truck as it goes through the front gate. 

However, each of these would have possible problems
A passing patrol could find the hole in the fence, alerting the base to he prescence of an intruder
Someone will ask for ID, and recognize that you are the wrong person, blowing your disguise
When hiding under the truck, a guard might look underneath it.
Aside from the bit about co-op, the Hitman series has a good deal of that sort of thing. Give Blood Money (my personal favorite, though they're all pretty good) a shot.
I'll download the demo tonight.  Hopefully this will turn into one of those times this thread gives me one of my dream games.
Lemme give you a spoiler-free example:

The tutorial level is very different from every other level: its very linear and oftentimes the game will tell you to kill people other than your targets and make lots of noise in general.
However, none of this is required. It is entirely possible (albeit very difficult) to get through the most linear and scripted level of the game without ever raising any alerts or killing anyone other than the targets.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: June 21, 2013, 03:41:23 am »

A few (many) pages back, someone mentioned a pirate roguelike.
I want to expand upon that idea.

@rr (the name was also suggested) is a game that takes place in a procedurally-generated world, complete with archipelagos, towns, temples, , shipwrecks (on the shore and deep below), volcanoes and of course - the endlessly vast oceans.
You can start out as a lonely trader with a tartan, trading coconuts and wheat between two islands, or gank up with a few pirate comrades and steal a frigate and become the most badass pirate captain around.

Or be the governor of the archipelago. Works as well.

All your favorite colonial-era weapons are here - cutlasses, flintlocks and of course - the cannons.

Build your own island empire, dig for treasures, drink grog and rum!
Or be unlucky enough to find yourself in an ancient temple or eaten by sharks after Kraken tore your "Troll Sock" apart.

SOMEBODY MAKE THIS SHIT HAPPEN, I'M EVEN WILLING TO PAY!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:50 am »

@rr (the name was also suggested) is a game that takes place in a procedurally-generated world, complete with archipelagos, towns, temples, , shipwrecks (on the shore and deep below), volcanoes and of course - the endlessly vast oceans.
You can start out as a lonely trader with a tartan, trading coconuts and wheat between two islands, or gank up with a few pirate comrades and steal a frigate and become the most badass pirate captain around.

All your favorite colonial-era weapons are here - cutlasses, flintlocks and of course - the cannons.

Or be unlucky enough to find yourself in an ancient temple or eaten by sharks after Kraken tore your "Troll Sock" apart.

YES GOD YES.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Javier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: June 21, 2013, 08:27:09 am »

A realistic survival game, zombie apocalypse or not, every fight could be your last, cuts get infected after a time, bruises could be something else, and your skill in the thing you are attempting actually matter, as in, if your medical skill is low/you have no skill in first aid or anything, you have no clue if it is infected until it is green and hurting like hell.

Also, realistic food collecting, not like State of Decay, where you can save the game, quit and then reload, and BOOM!   EVERYTHING SUDDENLY HAS STUFF IN IT AGAIN!   But more "Fuck, this place is dry, I could try the market downtown, but that place is a scavenger hotspot...   Shit..."
You're looking for Project Zomboid. It doesn't have other scavengers right now, but it will soon. You can even join them, lead them and establish meaningful relationships with them that will affect procedurally-generated emergent events down the road.
If the game is made so that co-op is possible, then even more possibilities open up-
Person B could set up in a good vantage point overlooking the base with a sniper rifle.  Person A sneaks into the base, with Person B acting as a sort of mission control, giving intel on enemy positions and useful cover.  Then, when needed, Person B will take out key enemy soldiers, with Person A hiding their bodies to keep the enemy from going into high alert.

Person A and B get a bunch of guns, and Person C gets a helicopter.  Person C drops A and B off as closely as possible, then takes off.  Person A and B try to stay stealthy, but they are eventually discovered.  They then go in guns blazing, calling out targets they need taken out ("Machine gun nest, red building!"), and taking out enemy AA defenses.  Person C only has so much ammo, so he can only take out targets that prevent an immediate threat to A and B.  Eventually, after they accomplish their objective, A and B quickly clear a landing zone for extraction, but C is shot down on approach.  Because of this,  A and B have to fight their way to the crash site, rescue C, and then they steal an enemy APC. 
Person A and B both go in guns blazing.  However, several minutes ago both Person C and D got in stealthily, and set key charges on at various locations, along with killing the base commander and the people in the watchtowers.  While A and B go through, C and D take out key positions, using A and B as a distraction and keeping the initiative on the players side.   

All of this would probably take a good bit of development, but would be awesome. 
I've lived very similar situations to that you describe playing the ARMA series coop. I'd look into ARMA 3 if I were you. Coop stealth missions with its new and improved features will surely be a blast. They already are in the alpha.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: June 21, 2013, 10:41:52 am »

A game where you manage a Maroon (Escaped African slave) society.
The game would start with a group of slaves either about to escape or just escaped, and you'd seek out a place to settle and begin the struggle to survive. You'd interact with Natives and Europeans, both potentially hostile or friendly depending on their own agendas (Slavers paying natives to hunt you down, Rival european pirates seeking to harm your slavers, etc.). You'd organize your settlement similar to either city-sims or DF-likes. You'd organize raids to help slaves escape or simply take them and bring them to your settlement, or just attack Europeans to hinder their fighting ability.
The game would have both a local and international scope, with most if not all of your actions taking place in a local scope, but being affected by international trends (Wars between europeans, technological advances, the end of the slave trade). Your goal would be to last until either slavery is abolished in your region (influenced of course by your making it unprofitable) or you oust your european nemesis from the area entirely. You'd also have to deal with internal as well as external problems, with your original ruler dying eventually and power struggles, etc.  Perhaps the game would be roguelike in essence, with most settlements realistically not lasting more than a couple years, but with luck lasting longer than even Palmares.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: June 21, 2013, 12:51:56 pm »

YES GOD YES.

ALL OF MY YES.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: June 21, 2013, 01:16:39 pm »

YES GOD YES.

ALL OF MY YES.
Pretty much this
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: June 21, 2013, 01:31:01 pm »

If there was ONE game that HAS to be made real from this thread, it has to be none other than @rr!
TO THE KICKSTART-no, wait...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2544 on: June 21, 2013, 01:31:50 pm »

Yeah, only do that if you're serious and know how to program a game.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: June 21, 2013, 01:35:03 pm »

Yeah, only do that if you're serious and know how to program a game.

I don't know...
Yet.

Since luckily I'm aiming for computer science profile in the middle school.
Until then, though...

*sigh*

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: June 21, 2013, 03:15:36 pm »

Not quite what you're looking for, but Skyrunner is making a nautical themed roguelike. Might be worth following her progress on that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: June 21, 2013, 10:26:35 pm »

I want a simple tactics game based around the idea of space stations.

Levels would be randomly generated with various functional parts of the station grouped, some "rooms" could be found in various places and sometimes the groups merge together- a medbay might have been generated with a garden, and had the Kitchen latch to that, forming a full fresh-as-it-gets bar and grill and ER.

You would be sent with different missions, determining the amount of damage the station has taken before you arrive and the population as well as their alert level. If you're coming as a primary invasion force, the station will be well populated and the people in the station will be more or less ready for you, whereas if you're salvaging, the station will be little more than space junk and, at best, contain a few refugees, or at worst, an alien hive.

You get infinite units, but you can only send a set number of waves and each vehicle can only carry so many units. Unit generation is more or less balanced so that you don't wind up with one guy completely maxed in stats and one guy who will immediately trip over the air and break every bone in his body in the fall and die before he hits the ground. You can set stats to blind so you aren't completely sure what the stats are.

Let's say you have to take down a station. Your first wave is a WHAL9K Carrier, with a total of 6 crew space.

The "Whale" Carrier is a mid-sized ship, what do you mean it only holds six crew!?

Four Soldiers = 1 Crew Space.
This means you could send a force of all footsoldiers and have 24 units on the first wave. This isn't smart.

Two Hardsuits = 1 Crew Space
Hardsuits are soliders in cool mecha bodies. They get all the cool weapons, all the awesome abilities, and all the hot babes. They are varied, but they are linked in that EMPs will completely wreck them for a few turns. This is bad when you breach a door with one, watch it get hit in the face with an EMP, and then sit there, blocking the door, getting made into swiss cheese by enemy weapons. Used right, they're menacing.

One Mecha = 1 Crew Space
Mecha are soldiers in badass mecha frames. They sit in a cockpit rather than move inside a suit, and have unparallelled "fuck shit up" abilities. Sometimes walls get in your way. Use a Soldier with an item, using up the item and using a whole turn, to break a wall, equip a Breaching device to a hardsuit, still requiring a turn but not using up items, or just break the fucking wall with brute force, immediately breaking the wall and scaring the shit out of anything behind it.

Plus, they have the best weapons. Period. Most are ineffective at damaging ground units, but there are some designed to slaughter, such as a mounted LMG. There are also weapons such as flashbang mortars to assist in soldier-killing.

Different units have different strengths and weaknesses. Some soldiers are fantastic at killing other crew, some are experts at killing people encased in a hardsuit, and some are mecha-slaughtering demolitions masters. Hardsuits can be equipped to deal with fleshy hordes of soldiers, built from the ground up to stop others like it, or be designed to replicate Mechanical David Vs Goliath. Mecha can be murdermechs, mechamidget stompers, or the most badass rockem-sockem robots you've ever seen.

Say on that mission I take two mecha, four hardsuits, and eight soldiers. One mecha is for anti-mecha, one is for anti-soldier. The hardsuits are made to counter other hardsuits, and the soldiers are varied as to what they can kill, 3 for hardsuits, 3 for mecha, and 2 for other soldiers.
I get two later waves, each a single Shooting Star carrier with 2 crew slots each. These carriers are fun in that they crash into the station heading for a beacon placed by other soldiers.

The enemy force seems mostly unprepared, as few trained security members are backing up a force of regular employees, as well as three or four hardsuits. My squad was built to counter Hardsuits rather heavily, and the two Hardsuits assisted by the soldiers takes them down, I lose only two anti-HS soldiers in the process. I was not, however, built to counter the fucktons of fleshy soldier they have, and once the hardsuits go down I eat facefuls of EMP and the tide starts shifting. All is hinging on my anti-soldier Mech which is steadily taking damage, and I know they're rallying more defenses deeper in the station. Still a minute before the first Shooting Star, so I place the beacon in a corner near a window out to space and retreat. They don't see, or seem to care about the beacon, but I lose my first mecha trying to hold them off. On that first Shooting Star I have two anti-Soldier mecha inbound.

This causes the battle to turn as soon as the lander crashes through the window, killing a good amount of enemies in hiding and unleashing chaos. They retreat VERY quickly, allowing me to push forward.

As soon as I reach new territory, two new mecha burst free from a wall, revealing that I've come very close to their medical center. First, I must defeat these two mecha- my anti-mecha immediately engages but it seems that they're a very close match, as the other of their Mecha unleashes fire on my two anti-soldier mecha. I fight back ineffectually, managing to hold my ground but taking heavy losses everywhere. I'm down to a hardsuit, four Soldiers and a very damaged mecha. The next Shooting Star is ready, and I lament the fact that it is a one-way craft as I call for four hardsuits, one for each counter plus another anti-mecha unit.

Again the tide turns in my favor, as the Medbay is evacuated and the shipboard AI begins evacuation protocol. Smashing through medbay reveals the Robotics lab, allowing me to stop some hardsuits before they deploy, and leaving me winning with four soldiers and five hardsuits. I push more, and reveal Security.

Security was bracing for me the whole time. As soon as the wall is breached a hail of fire opens up, forcing me away from the door I just made. The firing fizzles as soon as a clanking noise is heard...

EMP grenade. All of my hardsuits are disabled for a turn, as Sec members pour out and kill my last remaining soldiers before using hacking kits to open the hardsuits, killing the pilots.

I caused massive damage to the station and all crew will have to evacuate, but I also gave them five hardsuits loaded with our intel and tech. Mission very, very unsuccessful.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Mrnocamera

• Bay Watcher
  • Qualified.... Something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: June 22, 2013, 03:22:09 am »

I want a simple tactics game based around the idea of space stations.

Levels would be randomly generated with various functional parts of the station grouped, some "rooms" could be found in various places and sometimes the groups merge together- a medbay might have been generated with a garden, and had the Kitchen latch to that, forming a full fresh-as-it-gets bar and grill and ER.

You would be sent with different missions, determining the amount of damage the station has taken before you arrive and the population as well as their alert level. If you're coming as a primary invasion force, the station will be well populated and the people in the station will be more or less ready for you, whereas if you're salvaging, the station will be little more than space junk and, at best, contain a few refugees, or at worst, an alien hive.

You get infinite units, but you can only send a set number of waves and each vehicle can only carry so many units. Unit generation is more or less balanced so that you don't wind up with one guy completely maxed in stats and one guy who will immediately trip over the air and break every bone in his body in the fall and die before he hits the ground. You can set stats to blind so you aren't completely sure what the stats are.

Let's say you have to take down a station. Your first wave is a WHAL9K Carrier, with a total of 6 crew space.

The "Whale" Carrier is a mid-sized ship, what do you mean it only holds six crew!?

Four Soldiers = 1 Crew Space.
This means you could send a force of all footsoldiers and have 24 units on the first wave. This isn't smart.

Two Hardsuits = 1 Crew Space
Hardsuits are soliders in cool mecha bodies. They get all the cool weapons, all the awesome abilities, and all the hot babes. They are varied, but they are linked in that EMPs will completely wreck them for a few turns. This is bad when you breach a door with one, watch it get hit in the face with an EMP, and then sit there, blocking the door, getting made into swiss cheese by enemy weapons. Used right, they're menacing.

One Mecha = 1 Crew Space
Mecha are soldiers in badass mecha frames. They sit in a cockpit rather than move inside a suit, and have unparallelled "fuck shit up" abilities. Sometimes walls get in your way. Use a Soldier with an item, using up the item and using a whole turn, to break a wall, equip a Breaching device to a hardsuit, still requiring a turn but not using up items, or just break the fucking wall with brute force, immediately breaking the wall and scaring the shit out of anything behind it.

Plus, they have the best weapons. Period. Most are ineffective at damaging ground units, but there are some designed to slaughter, such as a mounted LMG. There are also weapons such as flashbang mortars to assist in soldier-killing.

Different units have different strengths and weaknesses. Some soldiers are fantastic at killing other crew, some are experts at killing people encased in a hardsuit, and some are mecha-slaughtering demolitions masters. Hardsuits can be equipped to deal with fleshy hordes of soldiers, built from the ground up to stop others like it, or be designed to replicate Mechanical David Vs Goliath. Mecha can be murdermechs, mechamidget stompers, or the most badass rockem-sockem robots you've ever seen.

Say on that mission I take two mecha, four hardsuits, and eight soldiers. One mecha is for anti-mecha, one is for anti-soldier. The hardsuits are made to counter other hardsuits, and the soldiers are varied as to what they can kill, 3 for hardsuits, 3 for mecha, and 2 for other soldiers.
I get two later waves, each a single Shooting Star carrier with 2 crew slots each. These carriers are fun in that they crash into the station heading for a beacon placed by other soldiers.

The enemy force seems mostly unprepared, as few trained security members are backing up a force of regular employees, as well as three or four hardsuits. My squad was built to counter Hardsuits rather heavily, and the two Hardsuits assisted by the soldiers takes them down, I lose only two anti-HS soldiers in the process. I was not, however, built to counter the fucktons of fleshy soldier they have, and once the hardsuits go down I eat facefuls of EMP and the tide starts shifting. All is hinging on my anti-soldier Mech which is steadily taking damage, and I know they're rallying more defenses deeper in the station. Still a minute before the first Shooting Star, so I place the beacon in a corner near a window out to space and retreat. They don't see, or seem to care about the beacon, but I lose my first mecha trying to hold them off. On that first Shooting Star I have two anti-Soldier mecha inbound.

This causes the battle to turn as soon as the lander crashes through the window, killing a good amount of enemies in hiding and unleashing chaos. They retreat VERY quickly, allowing me to push forward.

As soon as I reach new territory, two new mecha burst free from a wall, revealing that I've come very close to their medical center. First, I must defeat these two mecha- my anti-mecha immediately engages but it seems that they're a very close match, as the other of their Mecha unleashes fire on my two anti-soldier mecha. I fight back ineffectually, managing to hold my ground but taking heavy losses everywhere. I'm down to a hardsuit, four Soldiers and a very damaged mecha. The next Shooting Star is ready, and I lament the fact that it is a one-way craft as I call for four hardsuits, one for each counter plus another anti-mecha unit.

Again the tide turns in my favor, as the Medbay is evacuated and the shipboard AI begins evacuation protocol. Smashing through medbay reveals the Robotics lab, allowing me to stop some hardsuits before they deploy, and leaving me winning with four soldiers and five hardsuits. I push more, and reveal Security.

Security was bracing for me the whole time. As soon as the wall is breached a hail of fire opens up, forcing me away from the door I just made. The firing fizzles as soon as a clanking noise is heard...

EMP grenade. All of my hardsuits are disabled for a turn, as Sec members pour out and kill my last remaining soldiers before using hacking kits to open the hardsuits, killing the pilots.

I caused massive damage to the station and all crew will have to evacuate, but I also gave them five hardsuits loaded with our intel and tech. Mission very, very unsuccessful.

So, Space Station 13 with more advanced stuff?
Professional shut-in

You don't need to be good at video games anyway, right?

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: June 22, 2013, 10:48:24 am »

A TBS game based on SS13.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 577