Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926732 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2565 on: June 29, 2013, 03:54:30 am »

To elaborate on:

A real-time strategy game where where you can build units, their weapons, bases, armor, defenses etc. from scratch (modding support would be appropriate) and either make them manned (player-controlled), remote-controlled or AI-controlled.
The last one could be made for everything - self-building bases, anyone?

And you wouldn't be limited in terms of design beyond physics bringing you down, so you could make an autonomous floating aircraft carrier for all I care.
Positioning of your systems and armor shape/angle would be important as well.

And don't forget making your own weapons, Loadout-style, but more elaborate.

It could be a RTS or an FPS depending on your playstyle. No restrictions.
(of course some tactics and designs would be better than others, but that's pretty much how those kinds of games play out in the end)

I figured that I could provide some examples of in-game mechanics (very specific, but should give you an idea what I would dig):

Let's say I want to create a basic mech-like unit. On treads. With two rapid-fire cannons on the sides and a big, slow one on the top. Alright.
Now, if I want it to be a manned vehicle, I'd need to make a cockpit, steering systems and extra support systems. It's not very efficient, is it?

Alternatively, I could strap the cockpit and instead install remote-control systems and cameras instead. That way, the pilot is still in full control, but is not in direct danger.

But if I so desire, I may even want to program a semi-autonomous AI (of middling elaborateness) to get rid of human interaction completely. This does allow me to amass armies with relatively little manpower available, but you are not able to create a perfect AI, and it would also make it easier for the enemy to capture the mechs in question.

I may instead want to go for a different approach - supersoldiers. I can design the shape and features of their armor, including, but not limited to interface that shows heart pulse and body temperature, to targeting systems to camera systems, not unlike Google Glass.
I can also design their weapons - what kind of ammunition they'll fire, where do the bullets come out from, at what rate, and other stuff. I can also design the ammunition itself (to a small extent) and the magazine capacity. As well as any accessories like flashlights and scopes.

If I want to, I can make a three-barreled automatic sniper rifle (minigun-like) with a break action mechanism. Or an assault rifle that uses high-voltage batteries as ammo, discharging electricity at the enemies from a tesla coil-type barrel.

I could even make a floating superfortress complete with hangars for the aforementioned mechs, barracks for soldiers with the armor of my own design and armory for the strange weapons above and its own defense systems.

Or I could design and program robots that build complete bases for me when provided the resources.

Of course that game can and will be outside of computing range for quite some time in its complete form, but a slightly dumbed down (while still functional and fun to play) version should not be out of the question.

I believe there was even a game like this, where you could design your own items, but I can't remember its name now...

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: June 29, 2013, 07:14:37 am »

Warzone 2200 comes to mind; while not as indepth as you are describing it is a RTS where you design units.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: June 29, 2013, 07:23:59 am »

Warzone 2200 comes to mind; while not as indepth as you are describing it is a RTS where you design units.

Wasn't it cancelled or something?
Or are you talking about Warzone 2100?

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: June 29, 2013, 11:33:01 am »

Probably 2100; I haven't played it in a long time.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: June 29, 2013, 12:19:19 pm »

A few more entries in the portable mecha TBS genre.

I LOVE Front Mission 1st. Double Helix went and slaughtered any chance of the franchise coming back (don't get me started on Double Helix) after Evolved and it's lackluster FPS performance. I'd like to see a return of the mecha TBS style, and I think it would be perfect to revisit an older title like Front Mission 5 for inspiration on a 3DS title. The turns were simple, but firing and the like cued a cutscene of the combat. This would be fantastic on a 3DS.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: June 29, 2013, 02:47:22 pm »

F*ck that, I made my previously posted game into a suggestion game here.
Go and check it out.
ASCII pictures included.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2571 on: June 29, 2013, 02:52:11 pm »

A few more entries in the portable mecha TBS genre.

I LOVE Front Mission 1st. Double Helix went and slaughtered any chance of the franchise coming back (don't get me started on Double Helix) after Evolved and it's lackluster FPS performance. I'd like to see a return of the mecha TBS style, and I think it would be perfect to revisit an older title like Front Mission 5 for inspiration on a 3DS title. The turns were simple, but firing and the like cued a cutscene of the combat. This would be fantastic on a 3DS.
AGREED.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: June 29, 2013, 04:29:10 pm »

A modern AAA first-person shooter that has none of the following (Top to bottom, most annoying to least):

- "Go here and press this button" objectives
- "Use this cool gadget that you only get this one time and will never see again, even in multiplayer!"
- Mandatory tutorials
- Quick time events
- Short linear corridor-shooter campaign
- Energy shields + melee attack + regenerating health + cover shooting (it's the new pistol-shotgun-chaingun-rocket-plasma-BFG)
- Simultaneous PS3/360/Xbone/PS4/DS/3DS/PSP/Wii/WiiU/PC release
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: June 29, 2013, 04:49:02 pm »

A modern AAA first-person shooter that has none of the following (Top to bottom, most annoying to least):

- "Use this cool gadget that you only get this one time and will never see again, even in multiplayer!"
- Mandatory tutorials
- Quick time events
- Energy shields + melee attack + regenerating health + cover shooting (it's the new pistol-shotgun-chaingun-rocket-plasma-BFG)

At least there's a slight chance of it happening sometime, it's an FPS... but I wouldn't count on it.

AAA nowdays just means "the same as anything else rated AAA!"
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: June 29, 2013, 05:03:46 pm »

- Mandatory tutorials
- Quick time events
I don't mind regenerating health, but only if there is a valid reason for it, or it only regenerates some. Let me bring up F.E.A.R, which I have been playing-
You have regenerating health, but all it does is bring you from "Oh god I'm going to die if someone looks at my funny" to "Oh god "I'm going to die if someone points a rusted pistol at me."  To get to the point that you can take a shot and live you have to use medkits, which you can carry with you.  I also like how they do melee.  Instead of the generic hit them with the butt of our rifle, what you are doing influences it.  For example, you hit the melee button to deliver a swift punch, and then press jump to deliver a kick.  While trying to do this against a group of prepared enemies is a good alternative to "Go to last checkpoint", if you can find a group of enemies looking the wrong way it is a great way to quickly take a group of them down. 

But it's like now we have a choice between either corridor shooting and completely open world.  We no longer have games like the original Far Cry or Crysis, where it was linear yet had a great many ways to approach your target. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: June 29, 2013, 05:28:08 pm »

- Mandatory tutorials
- Quick time events
I don't mind regenerating health, but only if there is a valid reason for it, or it only regenerates some. Let me bring up F.E.A.R, which I have been playing-
You have regenerating health, but all it does is bring you from "Oh god I'm going to die if someone looks at my funny" to "Oh god "I'm going to die if someone points a rusted pistol at me."  To get to the point that you can take a shot and live you have to use medkits, which you can carry with you.  I also like how they do melee.  Instead of the generic hit them with the butt of our rifle, what you are doing influences it.  For example, you hit the melee button to deliver a swift punch, and then press jump to deliver a kick.  While trying to do this against a group of prepared enemies is a good alternative to "Go to last checkpoint", if you can find a group of enemies looking the wrong way it is a great way to quickly take a group of them down. 

But it's like now we have a choice between either corridor shooting and completely open world.  We no longer have games like the original Far Cry or Crysis, where it was linear yet had a great many ways to approach your target.
Deus Ex:HR? That was linear but gave you plenty of options.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: June 29, 2013, 05:44:33 pm »

I believe that regenerating health has its place. Let's look at why it was invented.

In the original Halo (and its a great game), they provided energy shields to fix the problem of a game becoming unwinnable. In most previous shooters, you had a limited amount of health, and while there might be medkits and such, they were also finite. You could wind up with a single hitpoint and have no way out of a situation, no matter your skill, other than restarting the entire level/game. And in a fast-paced actiony shooter, that's not exactly fair. Chief still had finite health under his shields, but a skilled player could get out of a tight situation because the shields would take the unavoidable cheapshots that every shooter has at some point (environmental damage, fall damage to continue, etc). You'd still die from your actual health running out if you tried to tank everything, and it would slowly erode, but the shield kept you from being cherry-tapped. You had to get hit with something legitimately deadly to finish you off.

Cover-based shooting, on the other hand, has yet to be successfully married to the freedom of movement on the battle field present in many first person shooters (since cover-based games are all 3rd person by necessity).
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: June 29, 2013, 05:47:54 pm »

Cover-based shooting, on the other hand, has yet to be successfully married to the freedom of movement on the battle field present in many first person shooters (since cover-based games are all 3rd person by necessity).
False.

Call of Juarez: Born in Blood. A first-person shooter with some surprisingly-good cover mechanics.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: June 29, 2013, 05:53:37 pm »

Personally, I think that the best regenerating health system is the multi-bar system, like in Far Cry 3. Lose a certain amount of HP, and you won't be able to regain it again. A fighter-like system could work too, where as you take damage, a red bar and a yellow bar go down. Lose all of your yellow HP, and you die. The more damage you take quickly, the faster your yellow bar depletes, but the red bar goes down over time. Take a lot of damage very quickly and you'll still die, but if you take a lot of damage and live with a very little amount of yellow bar, it regens up to the red amount. If you take lots of damage over time, you're bar dosen't regen nearly as high.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: June 29, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »

- Mandatory tutorials
- Quick time events

Deus Ex:HR? That was linear but gave you plenty of options.

DE:HR gets a free pass because it's Deus Ex, and while it's more of an FPS than Deus Ex was it's still pretty heavy on the RPG elements. And Deus Ex was linear, it just wasn't broken up by "levels" in the traditional sense.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 577