Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926863 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2715 on: July 23, 2013, 09:46:16 am »

Perhaps a "Harvestmoon/Rune Factory" Roguelike...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: July 23, 2013, 10:33:50 am »

A modern FPS that... isn't the same crap they've been rehashing for years.

For one thing, "normal" guns are woefully underpowered. Everyone is a bioweapon- skills matter a lot more than the guns that normal humans would use. Different builds have different slots for abilities-  a stealth model might forgo shielding for active camouflage,  and take movement abilities over weapon abilities, staying light, fast, and hard to see.

Maps are built around the idea of scavenging. Assault models come pre-loaded with weapons good enough to reliably kill, but can be bulky, slow, and easy to hit. They won't be able to take full advantage of the map, unlike the previous stealth model- active camo works better in darkness, so the stealth model can pick up a normal human weapon and shoot out lights as it moves forward, as well as climbing and jumping into areas others can't follow. Weapons spawn randomly, human weapons can often be found on dead bodies or in lockers or the like, higher technologies will be well hidden at random on the map. Even when players know the hidden locations, they won't be able to get to them unless they risk a lighter, more mobile build, and they might wind up with nothing for their efforts.

Playing with the map in a dynamic sense is a thing. You could outfit your bioweapon (Human+, transhumanism, whatever you want to call it) with an EMP blast. Lights around you break, electronics spew sparks everywhere, and any nearby enemy loses a serious amount of power as well as having most of their weapons malfunction. EMPs eat a huge amount o your energy, though, so you won't be able to return fire with a powerful weapon right after.

Maps are fully simulated. There's plenty to do on all of them- see a computer? You can interact with it. Maybe that computer is hooked up to atmospheric controls on a space-station map. You spend some time setting up Atmos to spew highly flammable gas everywhere. Players will see this, of course, but not only did you just reduce visibility to shit for anyone without thermals, you also just made the entire map prone to bursting into flames with a single spark. Sparks happen a lot. Units take enough damage and they constantly spew sparks.

Maybe you're on an outdoors map. Take a melee weapon and strike a large tree, make it fall. It falls and smashes into a player causing serious damage, as well as knocking a hole in a cabin.

Melee is as powerful as guns. Guns can be modified in a very Borderlands-esque way, but closer to GR:FS. You make changes to the gun, such as barrels, gasline, grips, but these change more than just accuracy and weapon sway, ala Borderlands. Want a weapon to talk to you? That can happen. There's plenty of options, and all options are available from the start. There is no progression system for attachments, however, weapons must be individually purchased with currency obtained by playing matches (Like EXP, but it dosen't level you up.)

With this system, let's say I'm playing as a highly mobile stealth model with active camo, jumpjets, electromagnetic feet (walk on walls, ceiling, eats energy), a fast but low-cap generator, a high-tech pistol with a long barrel and acidic rounds that fires faster but with less accuracy the longer you hold the trigger, and a physical blade attached to my arm that can be engaged or disengaged at will. I'm on the Space Station map.

My pistol will be able to deal damage, but if I fight an assault model I'd better get a good advantage before I take any hits at all. One of my teammates has found the door control computer and has started closing doors in the middle of the map. There's still a few routes that remain open, but most obvious routes are now closed by doors. I'm about to go patrolling the other route when the door in front of me dents heavily- someone's hitting it, and hard.

I activate camo and stick myself to the ceiling, which starts taking a heavy toll on my energy. I've got roughly 12 seconds of this, due to my low-capacity generator, but if I drop one, my high-speed generation will be enough to keep going indefinitely.

The door blows open, and a mid-weight assault model bursts through, massive axe in hand. He starts to walk under me, not realizing i'm there.

8 seconds. 7. 6. 5...

I'm behind him. I drop from the ceiling, engage my blade, and attack from behind. My active camo ripples, so that a sharp-eyed player could see me, but before it was perfect. I slash again as he turns around, as I start firing.

I get a headshot, the acid rounds increasing his weapon sway and making it hard to see for a moment, giving me time to continue the assault. He swings the massive axe, but I can easily dodge it with my speed. A few more hits and he's left as a smoldering, sparking pile of junk.

He dosen't despawn, either. His body stays there, and he'll have to use a completely different class setup. Rather than the five custom classes of other games, you get five that must not be carbon copies (they can be mostly the same, but two things must be different. Paintjob counts, so players wanting to use the same kinds of bioweapon will often show up in different colors with slightly altered weapons.)

That's one point for my team, or, more correctly, one loss for his. When all members of a team can no longer spawn, they are declared the loser, and the last team standing wins. Some modes allow no respawning at all- one bioweapon per player, and some will despawn and let you re-use bioweapons (Classic TDM.) Maps are even more dynamic than current Battlefield, allowing objects to do more than just break, but interact with each other as they do so, gun customization as strong as Ghost Recon: Future Soldier with the abilities of Borderlands 2, no progression system so that experienced players may have more options, but you still have the same access to parts as they do, and fully dynamic environments. The ability to pick up objects and use them at will- find a crowbar on a map, suddenly you have a free albiet weak melee weapon and access to locked doors... then again, you could have just bashed the door down, or shot it with an explosive. You could have hacked the door's console, if it was technologically advanced, to open it. You could plant an explosive on it and detonate it remotely, making enemies think you are where you aren't.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: July 23, 2013, 11:41:21 pm »

I want to play an RTS with good human side AI. Imagine a game where, like Starcraft, each race plays differently but pushed farther. An imperial race like the Romans involves a lot of units where you assign generals and organize orders rather then direct control. So you tell a general to do something and with maybe a few general tweaks from your or just good AI on his army he gets it done. Flanking, archer focus or spread, use fire arrows or not, formations and so forth. And then a more Homeric Greek race that plays with less numerous armies that focus on stronger dudes but also traditional heroes that are even better. And then another race that plays radically different in another way. Just, I hate when each faction has the same gameplay with maybe 1 or 2 special units and maybe a little graphical or theme based flavor. Maybe you could have something else like a "barbarian" race like the fall of Rome where a bunch of different barbarians attack different sides and a player controls each group, and the Roman faction is similar to the roman vs greek thing with one player. The imperial nation is a lot stronger but you can't micro manage it and its a 1v2 or 1v3. So you are weaker but you can exploit things and you are harder to pin down, maybe not even being settled at all. W/e. Just radically different gameplay for each faction.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2718 on: July 24, 2013, 08:14:10 am »

-snop-
What do you mean by 'not thematic'? Because I could easily put all of your examples as being themed differently.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: July 24, 2013, 10:34:24 am »

This.
Would you mind putting your work in a Creative Project's thread? (It probably won't get much attention on the HoMM forums [hacking is hard], or while it's hosted where not everyone reading the thread can view it.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: July 24, 2013, 03:36:19 pm »

I'm thinking my earlier idea, but somewhat revised. Imagine you're piloting a hardsuit, of sorts- not the "full body suit" sort of hardsuit, but the "this cockpit was designed to show off one's ASS" kind. Like, Shino Exroad from Cosmic Break or the suit from Liberation Maiden (3DS downloadable title by Grasshopper (SUDA 51)).

Take more open enviroments, but again, keep the system of melee is as powerful as any other kind of combat, not a hideously weak system of getting distance and not a one-kit knife slash, and have 3D combat in a very real sense. To build a unit, you first select a cockpit- this determines a lot about the exosuit. Closed cockpits are generally heavier, whereas open ones allow hits to the pilot (Like headshots in most games, but generally MORE powerful- one or two shot kills), they determine weight class as well as generator location, and allow core-weapon equips. Core weapons are generally "overdrive" systems- an EMP blast, temporary immunity to lock-ons, overcharged shields- Using one dosen't require anything up front other than the energy to activate the system, but you're left vulnerable afterwards in some way determined by the weapon and the core.

Next is the Generator itself. Generators have three stats to manage: capacity, generation, and integrity.
Capacity is the overall amount of unused energy you can store. High amounts mean that you can do many things with a full gauge, and utilize larger energy weapons more effectively. With a low cap, firing a single shot from a beam sniper might reduce stored energy to almost zero, making it much harder to do anything after firing. High cap generators would be able to get three or even four shots off before reaching 0.

Generation is the speed at which you regain energy. With a high enough generation rate, you may be able to run a system without any cost to you- a weaker shield would remain powered so long as you never hit 0 energy, and you would still gain energy while running the shield. You'd be running the shield off of generated power alone, however, recharging would be slower than if you didn't have the shield running. With a low generation speed, even smaller systems will constantly drain your energy gauge, and recharging requires you to turn more systems off than someone with a high generation rate.

Integrity is how well your generator holds up in combat, as well as how hard areas get hit during damage. If your generator takes damage, it becomes less efficient, and if it becomes destroyed, you'll either be rendered defunct or have the generator explode and take you with it. Higher integrity dosen't always mean it can take more hits, it simply means that it will retain most of it's ability to operate. Generator HP does not affect Integrity in any way and vice versa. High integrity means you'll be able to operate well even under fire, and low integrity means that you'll quickly lose your ability to fight if you take even a few hits.

Next is Arms. Arms and shoulders are different, and come together to form unique combinations of systems. Shoulders come in different variants, such as large, wing-like ones that make you easier to hit but give you great air mobility.Arms determine the weapons you're able to hold, or they themselves serve as a weapon.

Legs are more important from a ground-movement perspective, but they affect how well you're able to control both in the air and on land as well as serving for storage as weapons (shoulders can also do this, but not all- the wing shoulders above would not be able to.) Legs affect how much weight your exosuit can handle, and also change how it moves on land, can affect air movement, as well as affecting how your dashing, boosting, and jumping works.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2721 on: July 24, 2013, 03:54:27 pm »

Don't forget being able to manually activate and deactivate your systems in order to prioritise available power on what you need, like firing your weapons or keeping a shield up.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: July 24, 2013, 05:40:10 pm »

Control-scheme wise, I could see it working on all next-gen consoles. Wii U included, to a point.

Control scheme on the Wii U would use the touch pad, each system as a tappable option, aside from weapons which are assigned to buttons as normal.

Utilizing the bumpers and triggers of the PS4 and Xbox One, bumpers = shoulders, triggers are weapons. The problem is that on a build with weapons that can be changed,  with shoulders with more than one activatable/deactivatable system each, the control scheme would require... more buttons. I think one of them has a rear-facing touchpad, that could be somewhat useful, but it's actually more applicable to the Wii U than any other system based on controls alone. Having fully re-bindable controls could work, as well as something such as button combinations. Armored Core 5 is one of the games that runs into this same problem.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2723 on: July 25, 2013, 02:56:24 am »

*hack* PC exclusive. *cough*

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: July 25, 2013, 08:46:27 pm »

Yeah.

I guess it's pretty obvious I'm not a PC gamer. I don't have anything against that crowd, I just don't have a computer good enough for it.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: July 25, 2013, 10:50:23 pm »

I was reading a fanfic earlier, and I suddenly thought about how awesome it would be to have a Groundhog Day style video game.  I find it sad that I spent a full thirty seconds on this idea.

On the not stupid idea side, something I would really like would be an Aeronautical/nautical based RPG, with a high degree of customization.  For best affect it should be set at some point in the future.  I don't really care what the story is like, something akin to Ace Combat's "you are a living god among pilots who singlehandedly changes the tide of battle" would be enough for me.   The basic idea would be that you command either some kind of ship or some kind of airplane, as both would be awesome.  If you commanded a plane, you would have a variety of basic frames to start wit, from fighter, bomber, gunship, and helicopter.  If you beat the game or accomplish certain task you could unlock more exotic frames.  From there you could choose your weaponry, engines, wings, landing gear, cockpit, radar, etc.  the key thing would be that almost everything would have some sort of advantage.  Machine guns would have a high fire rate, allowing them to quickly overwhelm conventional shields and tear apart lightly armored opponents, but is hard to aim without advanced targeting systems, and against heavy armor or advanced shields it is almost useless.  Lasers would be easy to aim, and could do damage to even heavily guarded targets, but would have to be continually aimed at more heavily armored targets for full affect.  Plasma would be very powerful, but would be slow firing, have more limited ammo, and would function more in the capacity as missiles would, through whether this is an advantage or disadvantage would depend on playstyle.  You would also be able to choose between a series of missiles, bombs, torpedoes, and other stuff, or you could choose not to wield those in place of a more powerful gun.
For engines, you could choose between a less powerful VTOL engine, more powerful conventional engines, a mix of the two, or something more exotic.  VTOL would allow you to take off faster, along with allowing for rearming in the middle of a fight, and let you hover (but whoever does that would quickly die.). Conventional engines would be faster, but you'd need bigger airway facilities.  You would also be able to install shields and armor.  For shields you could choose between primarily energy and kinetic, and for armor you could choose between light, medium, heavy, and other combinations.  Different combinations could be used for different purposes.  A person who chooses to use guns would probably go for medium armor and energy shields, which would give them maneuverability while still allowing them to take a hit.  But a gunship would probably choose heavy armor and shields, as speed wouldn't be as important. 
I will tupe more tomorrow, because IPads are really, really terrible for typing.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: July 26, 2013, 03:30:17 am »

A Fantasy RPG with a mostly colonial/frontier-esque setting as opposed to the traditional 7mi2 of the British Isles. Early breach-loading firearms and late flintlocks, bows used by various native people, supernatural elements inspired by a mixture of traditional fantasy and Native American mythology, with a healthy dose of Cajun voodoo.

Ideally, you make a PC and can assemble a party out of a choice of several NPC's, and the ones you've befriended but who aren't currently in your party hang out at wherever your base is. Maybe you own a lodge or small fort out in the sticks, or maybe you've got a ship or riverboat. So, some elements of faction building/management, but you've only a small band so it doesn't consume the whole game.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:34:52 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2727 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:32 am »

A Fantasy RPG with a mostly colonial/frontier-esque setting as opposed to the traditional 7mi2 of the British Isles. Early breach-loading firearms and late flintlocks, bows used by various native people, supernatural elements inspired by a mixture of traditional fantasy and Native American mythology, with a healthy dose of Cajun voodoo.

Ideally, you make a PC and can assemble a party out of a choice of several NPC's, and the ones you've befriended but who aren't currently in your party hang out at wherever your base is. Maybe you own a lodge or small fort out in the sticks, or maybe you've got a ship or riverboat. So, some elements of faction building/management, but you've only a small band so it doesn't consume the whole game.
The way you describe it it sounds less like high-fantasy and more like a straight up Colonise America sim. Or aren't there orcs and elves and such?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: July 26, 2013, 03:49:40 am »

I'd like a world generation game.  This game would gen a world ( in a similar manner to DF ) and you can pause the world at any time.  It would have a detailed history, with races and civs popping up, having their own lives, journeys and sagas independent of you.

The player would be able to be one of two sides: One side would be demons, and the other angels.  If playing on the side of demons, you can corrupt the creatures and races and civs of the world, to an extent.  The more specific your corruption, the more effective.  Trying to evil-ize the entire world at once would have an extremely negligible effect, if at all.  But, if you were to focus all your power and efforts to corrupting ( both the body and soul of ) a king, it wouldn't be all that difficult, and his madness, mutation and moral decay would then influence all those near and underneath him.

Same goes for angels, who instead, try to purify the races of the world, and inspire men and women to acts of bravery, wisdom and compassion. 

In the middle would be randomly generated beasts and forgotten monsters, completely neutral in the battle of good and evil, but can be used to serve either end.  A player on the side of demons can corrupt these beasts, drive them mad and have them besiege the poor races of the world, as if they were in an old fashioned giant monster movie.  A player on the side of angels can alternatively have these beasts become protectors of the civilisations. 

One side would win once the entire world has become either pure good or evil, an extremely long and arduous task. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2729 on: July 26, 2013, 05:03:49 am »

I want a strategy game inspired by Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 577