Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926760 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2775 on: July 30, 2013, 05:56:50 pm »

Basically Crusader Kings 2 in space, I guess?

I've wanted a sci-fi (or otherwise not real world) CK2 for a while.  I think that in CK2s quest to be historically accurate, it was awesome, but it also added a lot of systems that require a great deal of management without being interesting.  For example, the vast majority of wars in CK2 are won by the side that has the most troops (or the player exploiting AI stupidity), yet we still have to play build the doomstack every single time we go to war.  Compare to, say, Total War where the military system is more detailed and the decisions you make can have a much larger effect on your success, yet the system is still somehow less of a pain in the ass.  The reason for this issue is that the devs have to simulate the way feudal societies raised their levies, but they don't actually care much about the gritty details of war because that isn't what the game is about.  So we get something that is complicated and time consuming yet de-emphasized.  Its the same way with the economy, tech, and construction systems.

If CK2 were made in a non-realistic setting, it could simplify systems like the military and the economy and focus on the politicking, which I consider the main appeal of the game.
See, I want a Victoria 2 style game, but set in space. I would call it Post Sacristy. The 8 great powers, would be in a post sacristy economy.
Wouldn't that give you infinite resources by definition, and thus just make it a game about clicking buttons?

Depends on how you implement it. You could say that Minecraft Creative mode was about clicking buttons, too.
I don't really consider MC Creative a game, either. Fun as hell for sure, but more of a toy than a game.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 30, 2013, 06:29:24 pm »

Basically Crusader Kings 2 in space, I guess?

I've wanted a sci-fi (or otherwise not real world) CK2 for a while.  I think that in CK2s quest to be historically accurate, it was awesome, but it also added a lot of systems that require a great deal of management without being interesting.  For example, the vast majority of wars in CK2 are won by the side that has the most troops (or the player exploiting AI stupidity), yet we still have to play build the doomstack every single time we go to war.  Compare to, say, Total War where the military system is more detailed and the decisions you make can have a much larger effect on your success, yet the system is still somehow less of a pain in the ass.  The reason for this issue is that the devs have to simulate the way feudal societies raised their levies, but they don't actually care much about the gritty details of war because that isn't what the game is about.  So we get something that is complicated and time consuming yet de-emphasized.  Its the same way with the economy, tech, and construction systems.

If CK2 were made in a non-realistic setting, it could simplify systems like the military and the economy and focus on the politicking, which I consider the main appeal of the game.
See, I want a Victoria 2 style game, but set in space. I would call it Post Sacristy. The 8 great powers, would be in a post sacristy economy.
Wouldn't that give you infinite resources by definition, and thus just make it a game about clicking buttons?
It Post Scarcity doesnt mean infinite resources literally. Just that resources are no longer a bottle neck.

The great 8 powers would still have have logistical concerns and would have to manage that flow of trade, as they do in Vicky2.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: July 30, 2013, 07:32:55 pm »

I would love a true, fairly difficult zombie RPG. The zombies would be HUGELY adaptive, and will quickly begin to evolve. For example, it would start off as Infected, which are basic humans that became zombies. Fairly slow, no means of connection to other zombies, and little HP. They would branch off into Zombies and Skeletons. At this point, every type of zombie will have developed crystalline structures which are used to generate rudimentary short range radio signals to signal other zombies. The Zombies would be traditional "slow" zombies, slow and stumbling but incredibly tanky early-game. Skeletons would be more "modern," with less HP but much higher speed. The zombies would quickly begin to split off into a few categories: There will be Fast/Stealthy, low HP zombies like the Skeleton, which tend to be more quiet. Next is the Slow/Tanky, evolving from Zombies, typically low to mid-low speed, but heavy damage and large HP. Then there is Ranged, which would be zombies that fire acid, poison, or bone projectiles. Also, there are the Flying, zombies which take to the sky. Then there is Bladed, which have tough bone blades, usually the strongest in close quarters with minor armor, good speed, decent HP, and fast, damaging attacks. Finally, there are the Communicators, which have mixed capabilities and larger crystals, will act as sort of "commanders;" they will control local crowds of zombies and communicate with other communicators from longer range. There will also be Hives, which are large organic structures which will do various things depending on the type, such as an Antenna to connect to communicators, a Splicing Chamber, which will recombine DNA to form stronger zombies, and Assemblies, where every zombie except for the basic Infected are grown.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: August 02, 2013, 07:31:50 am »

Rayman M HD with more characters, skins, maps, ONLINE FUCKING MULTIPLAYER and other things.
(inb4 DLC skins)

And of course, the badass music.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: August 02, 2013, 09:16:11 pm »

Really, just any game (vehicular or on foot) where a player faction can design and manufacture thier own weapons. Please tell me if there already is one.

I just want to see somebody not in our group go "Oh, this? It's an old Bay12 design. Not optimised as of recent patches, but everyone and their grandma can make ammunition for it and it hits pretty hard." some time after we play.

(I was just playing in the big Bay12 Guns of Icarus group, and marveling at the design of some of the airship weapons. "Steam-powered extractors? That's so clever! The shells just fly out of the cylinder with a satisfying pop-hiss once you open the cannon to reload!" Then I was struck with the urge to invent my own steampunk weapon systems.)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: August 02, 2013, 09:52:32 pm »

Imagine being able to do things like this with a Borderlands-esque system for putting the guns together with the different components of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (pretty much customize the entire gun, the everything. Even the gas system.) all wrapped up in a powerful suite of 3D modelling tools / model creator that allows you to make a barrel from a gigantic library of "barrel" parts and possibly ones that "fit the description"- say, a Traffic Cone/Pylon can be used as a silencer (not that it would WORK, but you can put one there.)

I wish I had a gaming computer, because I totally want to see some of the engineering marvels Bay12 has pulled off. Didn't even know Guns of Icarus had a weapons customization feature.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:43 pm »

Really, just any game (vehicular or on foot) where a player faction can design and manufacture thier own weapons. Please tell me if there already is one.

I just want to see somebody not in our group go "Oh, this? It's an old Bay12 design. Not optimised as of recent patches, but everyone and their grandma can make ammunition for it and it hits pretty hard." some time after we play.

(I was just playing in the big Bay12 Guns of Icarus group, and marveling at the design of some of the airship weapons. "Steam-powered extractors? That's so clever! The shells just fly out of the cylinder with a satisfying pop-hiss once you open the cannon to reload!" Then I was struck with the urge to invent my own steampunk weapon systems.)

The problem is that such systems tend to get either optimized or broken pretty quickly, and then everyone uses whatever overpowered weapon gets discovered.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: August 03, 2013, 12:13:43 am »

What I don't understand is that we know it CAN work. I mean, in reality, explosives and fission are OP, but we still have some variety in weapon design. Every slightly different set of physics should have a different range of viable designs that shifts as the 'meta' evolves.

Uranium is best for bullet cores (good mass and hardness, fractures in the best way for piercing, if it shatters it bursts into flame...), but there are reasons not to use it. (Cost, contamination, etc.)
The USA uses rediculously smart and expensive homing missiles for practically everything, but only because they have unlimited resources.
One-on-one, a rocket launcher beats a firearm anywhere where you're out of the blast radius. We still don't use them on everything.
Tanks and aircraft -- one isn't 'better', though the current 'meta' seems to favour aircraft.

As Extra Credits said, systems are only totally optimisable when they lack incomprables. You can optimise for specific local maxima within criteria, but as long as the system naturally causes roles to develop, you can't optimise for multiple roles simultaniously. Even if there is an endgame where technology stagnates, enough nuances in the system can lead to it lasting for years as ingame technology changes.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: August 03, 2013, 04:03:17 pm »

I... I want another CSG card game. (Constructible Strategy) along the lines of Pirates. R.I.P, WizKids.

Wikipedia on what the hell I'm talking about

I'd love to design a game around this. I have... so many ideas on what could be done, that would be nothing like a "clone", something unique. Especially after seeing the kinds of things that could be done with those ships ("Action" ships on the wiki, and the engineering that went into those plastic pieces was glorious).

This is the perfect "I'd like a game with figurines, a tabletop game, but can anyone really afford those damn things?" solution. The packs I used to buy were about the same cost of your average Pokemon booster pack, but you could reasonably play the game as it was meant to be played with two to four booster packs. The game had strategy- different ships had different abilities, each with their own crew and the like, trying to get as much gold as possible, and either avoid or take down enemy ships all while avoiding storms (fogbanks, icebergs, interesting that they never actually made stormclouds) and other natural hazards. Did I mention each ship and crew were part of a faction!?

Such a system could easily be adapted, especially since tabletop gaming is becoming at least slightly more popular nowdays. Sure, it can't be played anywhere, and you don't want to cart the figurines around because they're at least somewhat fragile (those damn ships. I only ever broke 3, but those. damn. ships.) but it's the same fair with other tabletop games, and it's not stupidly expensive!

The sheer ability to do whatever you want with the figurines is also amazing- the ships could easily be remodeled into flying fortresses, giant mecha, anything you want! I'd LOVE to design one of these games. If I was ever given the chance, oh my god I'd be the happiest man alive.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: August 03, 2013, 07:51:18 pm »

Hmm... Sounds interesting. Styrene peices sound kind of breakable, though. Would something like ABS be significantly more expensive to make to reasonable tolerances? Looking at Lego, I guess so.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: August 03, 2013, 09:20:34 pm »

You'd think it would be fragile, and yeah, it kinda is, but considering I only broke 3, they held up really well. You just sorta have to respect 'em. Like you would an actual figurine. I have... maybe JUST under 100, if less. I think I have more.

The plastic's flexible enough to not snap most of the time, and it glides against each other really well. There's a few ships that have giant-ass cannons that rotate on, I think, a four axis? The masts were annoying only when their slot was cut too tight, but you couldn't open it up more because then you'd get a super-loose mast.

THe only reason they ever broke is because I used way too much force, generally due to the masts not wanting to fit. In hindsight, I should have shaved off a tiny bit of the plastic on the slot and it would have probably worked fine.

Just so long as you don't, like, smash them. They're a little hard to transport, too. Pros and cons, I guess.

Speaking of tabletop, model-based Lego plastic...
Mobile Frame Zero is a set of rules based around making legomechs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: August 05, 2013, 07:01:30 pm »

A somewhat realistic cooking game that allows you put ingredients together in any way that's edible, and then the customer likes or dislikes it based on what the dish tastes like and what the customer likes.

Bonus points if there's a spinoff with controls from Surgeon Simulator 2013.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: August 05, 2013, 07:02:33 pm »

Temeraire: Total War.

For those who don't know, Temeraire is novel series set during the Napoleanic war, except with Dragons. Seriously, it's great.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: August 05, 2013, 08:51:34 pm »

I'd like to see a space policing game where you play as head of internal affairs combating criminal organizations and the political protection they bribe. At the same time not look  weak because space emperor Stalin will consider you a traitor and hang you...with space piano wires.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: August 05, 2013, 10:10:21 pm »

A fighting game with shifting movesets, in a three-layer approach.

Layer One: Base Character
Your base character determines what "archetype" you follow- are you light and fast, are you slower but have better reach, are you heavy and powerful? Some archetypes are special- you have a separate gauge to manage, or maybe your SP goes up naturally. Maybe you have different modes.

Choosing a base character gives you what your basic attacks are- light, medium, and heavy strikes, but none of your input moves are there yet. I'll make three different characters on this system, as examples.

Spoiler: Build One (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Build Two (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Build Three (click to show/hide)

Layer Two: Natural Skills
Natural Skills determine what special attacks that don't eat from the SP gauge and other attacks useful in comboing are capable of. Different styles of attacking- aireal chain characters that throw enemies into the air and keep them there, groundhogs who own the floor and can trip up anyone who thinks otherwise, characters who use projectiles in all their forms, and anything else that can be done without eating the SP gauge goes here. In the examples...

Spoiler:  Build Two (click to show/hide)

Layer Three: This Hand Of Mine
Lastly, we choose what specials we have and how our SP gauge works. Layer 3 options are dependant on Layer 2- someone with slow, homing, electric projectiles can't suddenly pull a poison attack. They're varied enough as well as having some universal specials, the umbrella is always quite wide for any choice in Layer 2. Such as:

Spoiler: Build Two (click to show/hide)

An idea I had- you could build characters way different from mine with the same bases, or have similar skills with very different bases, and custom-build your own fighter to fit your style.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 577