Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929154 times)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3030 on: September 10, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »

Not a game, but I want Guns of Icarus and Air Bucaneers to spawn a whole genre of ship fighting games.  Maybe with some in space and on the oceans.  We have some of those but its never really taken off.

You mean Freespace 2 but with players controlling cruisers instead of fighter ships?

I was thinking something like the Battlefront 2 space battles, but with more smaller ships, the players work together to control capital ships, and just like, you know, good.  The Battlefront 2 space battles were a bit lacking in a lot of ways.  I have not actually played Freespace 2.

Edit: Star Wars Battlefront 2, in case that was unclear.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3031 on: September 10, 2013, 07:57:44 pm »

There's plenty of fighter games out there. We need some one-on-one battles between mid to large classed ships.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: September 10, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »

You could always play Silent Hunter 3. Granted, it's subs and not star ships but the principles of combat: trajectory, heading, speed, maneuvering....all essentially remain the same. Just without the future science angle, and with an emphasis on hit and run evasion rather than slugging it out.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: September 10, 2013, 08:30:25 pm »

Not a game, but I want Guns of Icarus and Air Bucaneers to spawn a whole genre of ship fighting games.  Maybe with some in space and on the oceans.  We have some of those but its never really taken off.

You mean Freespace 2 but with players controlling cruisers instead of fighter ships?

I was thinking something like the Battlefront 2 space battles, but with more smaller ships, the players work together to control capital ships, and just like, you know, good.  The Battlefront 2 space battles were a bit lacking in a lot of ways.  I have not actually played Freespace 2.

Edit: Star Wars Battlefront 2, in case that was unclear.
What do you mean by "lacking"? You could fly your ship into the enemy hangar, land, get out, and go blow up their reactor and whatnot with grenades. And if you brought a troop carrier in, you had a new spawn point for your team on the enemy ship, which the enemy team would then try to blow up. Or, I guess if you wanted, you could just shoot the place up from outside.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd like to see the Battlefront 2 space battles applied to some sort of capture the flag map. And maybe the enemy ships would have some sort of lock, so that you would either have to have someone come and pick you up or you would have to spend sometime hacking one of the enemy ships to get back to base.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: September 10, 2013, 08:34:56 pm »

-snip-

There's really no reason to land inside, though. The only thing that can only be found in the ship is the brains for the NPC turrets, and those aren't much of a threat at all. Your NPC team mates will always try to fly away with the gunship and usually end up crashing it on the way out, so you won't have that advantage for long.

What would be more interesting is if blowing up the ship's systems actually did something, but maybe remove bombers so that people wouldn't be so eager to go straight for the life support.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3035 on: September 10, 2013, 08:40:23 pm »

You could always play Silent Hunter 3. Granted, it's subs and not star ships but the principles of combat: trajectory, heading, speed, maneuvering....all essentially remain the same. Just without the future science angle, and with an emphasis on hit and run evasion rather than slugging it out.
I play Silent Hunter often, thus I crave a clean slug match. Those are fun too. And submarines don't have lasers (now there's an idea) or the option for bloody boarding action.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3036 on: September 10, 2013, 08:42:28 pm »

What would be more interesting is if blowing up the ship's systems actually did something, but maybe remove bombers so that people wouldn't be so eager to go straight for the life support.
It earns your team points to win the fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3037 on: September 10, 2013, 08:49:10 pm »

I play Silent Hunter often, thus I crave a clean slug match. Those are fun too. And submarines don't have lasers (now there's an idea) or the option for bloody boarding action.

I'm imaging the amount of energy needed to fire a destructive laser any appreciable distance underwater....the heat dissipation would be a huge issue. Plus, once you'd gotten enough energy, you'd essentially flash boil the water to steam when it fired. Man. What would that look like?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3038 on: September 10, 2013, 08:51:58 pm »

I'm imagining the amount of energy needed to fire a destructive laser any appreciable distance underwater....
FTFY

You just need a lot of AAs.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:32 pm »

A turn based game where you're afforded a loadout screen for every unit you can send out with more options than the average mecha game.

Every unit is essentially the same, aside from stats and build.
Stat growth is individual for each character and some do better than others in different areas, while build affects what that person can equip (lightweights can't have heavy armor, like many other RPGs.)

I can choose many, many options- from individual guns, equipment, and pieces of armor (armor dictates what slots you have for other objects). I can also choose to "autoequip" with certain parameters.

From there, I also have to choose how to send in units- to do that, I have to control each larger section of the military. Maybe I want to have air support ready- I'd have to have a carrier positioned where I need it, and waiting too long will cause mission failure (depending on what mission). Branching paths are a thing.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3040 on: September 10, 2013, 09:07:02 pm »

I want a turn-based RPG along the lines of Fallout mixed with a roguelike that lets you do everything by underhanded, sneaky, or, as I put it, "practical" means. Fallout has sort of the rudimentary outlines of this, where you can kill people with traps, plant explosives on them, super-stim them to death, or steal their guns away before they can take 'em out, but I'm talking like full stealth gameplay, killing or knocking out enemies silently, making distractions, and all that. But turn-based, open world, RPG-skill-type thing.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: September 10, 2013, 11:32:17 pm »

A new 90's-style 2.5D FPS. We've done some amazing things with sprites lately, there is no reason a 2.5D shooter couldn't look as good as a 3D one.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: September 11, 2013, 02:50:54 pm »

I want a game that's something like how scientists imagine a real space battle. None of that "Age of the Sail in space" crap, pulling up alongside and slugging it out. I wanna see ships in different orbital paths, trying to get bombs into the right trajectory, having kinetic projectiles swing around the apoapsis of their orbits to ensure maximum velocity on impact, etc.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: September 11, 2013, 03:02:16 pm »

I want a game that's something like how scientists imagine a real space battle. None of that "Age of the Sail in space" crap, pulling up alongside and slugging it out. I wanna see ships in different orbital paths, trying to get bombs into the right trajectory, having kinetic projectiles swing around the apoapsis of their orbits to ensure maximum velocity on impact, etc.
Nobody would want to make that game though. And hardly anyone play it. I'm not sure if you've played Kerbal Space Program, but it's pretty difficult to get two objects to collide in orbit, and that's if one of them is not changing its orbit. Even the tiniest evasive maneuver would send projectiles kilometres wide.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:51 pm »

But if it was on a "top down" 2D perspective...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 577