Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926874 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3045 on: September 11, 2013, 03:06:56 pm »

Honestly computers would handle all of that stuff, because humans are too dumb, and since the computer handles it, you may as well abstract it out for the most part, thus defeating a lot of the purpose. You would have to make it much easier to get stuff done, and say because the computer helped you.

Another issue is that almost all traditional sci fi won't work if we only have current science. No shields means that its pretty easy to tank a space ship. And there is no FTL travel. Who exactly would be fighting? If we had only intra planet warfare spaceship combat would be kinda pointless.

There is a theory about the future in which warfare never happens. Because the people already inside the solar system would always have way more mass than could be transferred across space to attack so attacks can't work. Plus with no FTL attacks are slow as shit and too easy to prepare for.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:02 pm »

Well, the game I described before and I think of making off would have the first ships like that, regular ships with rotating sections for gravity and missiles for weapons. They would be weak and expensive as hell making it hard for you to press into space without proper tech and funding. And as you keep going then you can use lasers and electromagnetic guns.

I think that laser would be used for "weak" but long range artillery, missiles for middle to short range engagements and MAC's for "really close" encounters, where the enemy ship would be barely watchable as that blurry dot in the screen (yeah, no windows either for combat ships).

And after that, when you keep upping your tech you can finally have things like artificial gravity and faster than light drives, more common sci-fi things.

However as for orbital paths and other things like that, it would be quite fun but hard to master. Kind of like Dwarf Fortress. I wouldn't touch that because the complexity alone would require a lot of work, in what would be already a huge game.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: September 11, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »

Ninja'd

I'm thinking of more orbit-centered combat, slingshotting around relatively close asteroids and planetoids. Recognizing the realistic difficulty of getting things to line up in orbit (like ships synchronizing long enough for a slugfest), such a game would involve trying to collide things or get a bomb near enough to effect, in 2D and simplified somewhat to make it actually fun. I didn't say conventional technology only, but for pulling up alongside and slugging it out, I'd rather just go straight for the actual naval combat.

You could still have things like directly firing lasers and shields, I just want a game where the larger ships aren't just sitting there trading blows
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: September 11, 2013, 07:10:34 pm »

Not a game, but I want Guns of Icarus and Air Bucaneers to spawn a whole genre of ship fighting games.  Maybe with some in space and on the oceans.  We have some of those but its never really taken off.

You mean Freespace 2 but with players controlling cruisers instead of fighter ships?

I was thinking something like the Battlefront 2 space battles, but with more smaller ships, the players work together to control capital ships, and just like, you know, good.  The Battlefront 2 space battles were a bit lacking in a lot of ways.  I have not actually played Freespace 2.

Edit: Star Wars Battlefront 2, in case that was unclear.
What do you mean by "lacking"? You could fly your ship into the enemy hangar, land, get out, and go blow up their reactor and whatnot with grenades. And if you brought a troop carrier in, you had a new spawn point for your team on the enemy ship, which the enemy team would then try to blow up. Or, I guess if you wanted, you could just shoot the place up from outside.

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd like to see the Battlefront 2 space battles applied to some sort of capture the flag map. And maybe the enemy ships would have some sort of lock, so that you would either have to have someone come and pick you up or you would have to spend sometime hacking one of the enemy ships to get back to base.

What I mean by lacking is that the two capital ships are basically just the arena.  They don't significant move or fight, and you don't interact with your own ship except to man its turrets.  So its great in that it combines fighter and infantry combat, but its not really a ship fighting game.  Also repetitive because the only thing different between fights was the planet in the background and the relative position of the two ships.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3049 on: September 11, 2013, 07:17:55 pm »

Nobody would want to make that game though. And hardly anyone play it. I'm not sure if you've played Kerbal Space Program, but it's pretty difficult to get two objects to collide in orbit, and that's if one of them is not changing its orbit. Even the tiniest evasive maneuver would send projectiles kilometres wide.
You can't say that no one would want to make or play the game just because you yourself don't think you would enjoy the game. Sure there might be a (relatively) small niche for the idea, but no matter what, someone will play it. If you've ever studied economics, you'll know that there's a market for everything, it's just the size and value of it that varies.

But honestly if people are patient enough to learn and play complicated games like DF and KSP and ARMA and SH, I'm sure someone would go for a space game like that. People are always clamouring for "realism" after all.. ::)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: September 11, 2013, 07:31:42 pm »

I kinda want to play a game where you have to protect a solar system from meteors by shooting heavy projectiles near them, using gravity to pull them out of the way without hitting and destroying them (because reasons). The closer the miss, the more points per meteor.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3051 on: September 11, 2013, 07:48:21 pm »

I kinda want to play a game where you have to protect a solar system from meteors by shooting heavy projectiles near them, using gravity to pull them out of the way without hitting and destroying them (because reasons). The closer the miss, the more points per meteor.
Cause if you actually hit them they just break into smaller pieces, so if you screw up it makes your job harder! Sounds neat!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: September 11, 2013, 07:54:12 pm »

Nobody would want to make that game though. And hardly anyone play it. I'm not sure if you've played Kerbal Space Program, but it's pretty difficult to get two objects to collide in orbit, and that's if one of them is not changing its orbit. Even the tiniest evasive maneuver would send projectiles kilometres wide.
You can't say that no one would want to make or play the game just because you yourself don't think you would enjoy the game. Sure there might be a (relatively) small niche for the idea, but no matter what, someone will play it. If you've ever studied economics, you'll know that there's a market for everything, it's just the size and value of it that varies.

But honestly if people are patient enough to learn and play complicated games like DF and KSP and ARMA and SH, I'm sure someone would go for a space game like that. People are always clamouring for "realism" after all.. ::)

Exactly what I meant when I said it would be something like DF. Look our beloved game, is messy, hard, complex, riddled with micromanagement, messy, even more complex, even more messy, it make your suffer heavily from it's UI, it's REALLY HARD and yet is fucking addictive. Granted is not for everyone, but that doesn't mean is not for anyone.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: September 12, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »

When people say 'nobody', it rarely actually means absolutely zero people. It's just a number so small that it is negligible.
Want me to rephrase? Fine.
Given the incredibly niche market and complexity of the game it is unlikely that a studio would take the risk of developing this game past anything more than a tech demo.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: September 12, 2013, 05:26:28 pm »

You talk about is as if it would be some kind of first-person KSP combat game. That's not what I mean, I mean a top-down 2D game with orbits instead of broadsides.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3055 on: September 12, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »

When people say 'nobody', it rarely actually means absolutely zero people. It's just a number so small that it is negligible.
Want me to rephrase? Fine.
Given the incredibly niche market and complexity of the game it is unlikely that a studio would take the risk of developing this game past anything more than a tech demo.
IK, IK, but you're missing the point. Lots of games that seem incredibly niche are also incredibly good. Sure no official studio would ever undertake something like that, they go for sure things like spin-offs (90% ugh). That's what independent developers are for. Dwarf Fortress? Kerbal Space Program? Seriously it's not tough to understand mate.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: September 13, 2013, 04:51:42 am »

A Touhou + Superhot game.
It'd be at least interesting to play.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: September 14, 2013, 04:58:15 pm »

Right now I want a game where I can build things like in Dwarf Fortress but without having to micromanage a ton of units and with being able to customize how my character looks in the style of The Sims. If anyone knows of such a game please let me know.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: September 14, 2013, 05:24:10 pm »

Right now I want a game where I can build things like in Dwarf Fortress but without having to micromanage a ton of units and with being able to customize how my character looks in the style of The Sims. If anyone knows of such a game please let me know.
Tropico 3?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: September 14, 2013, 05:27:06 pm »

Speaking of the Sims, I'd like a version of the Sims that was less grindy to play and not as horribly expensive.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 577