Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929413 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3105 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:09 am »

A real sequel to Max Payne 2, with noir sensibilities that doesn't take away control from the player for a cutscene every other minute.

Yes, I'm still bitter about that one...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: September 20, 2013, 03:31:48 am »

I havn't played The Last of us, so please excuse any inaccuracies.
That actually sounds pretty great. A bit gimmicky to base a whole game on, but not a bad gimmick.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: September 20, 2013, 12:30:40 pm »

Hasn't that kind of thing been kind of a fad recently? To have female player characters get beaten the crap out of?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: September 20, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »

Hasn't that kind of thing been kind of a fad recently? To have female player characters get beaten the crap out of?
What? That is a bit of a non-sequitur.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: September 20, 2013, 02:59:15 pm »

It's going off what Leonon said. I've heard of a lot of games lately starting with a young, naive, female protagonist and putting them through hell and abuse. Like the most recent Tomb Raider, for instance.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: September 20, 2013, 03:04:39 pm »

*snip*

I actually have a game idea spinning around in my head like that.

Basically, it came about because I noticed Far Cry 3 has a lot of Alice in Wonderland references, yet it isn't really like Alice in Wonderland since Alice is more helpless, so it doesn't fit with a game that's primarily action. It'd work much better for a game where you are almost helpless. I guess it also applies to Tomb Raider, since I heard that she was kicking ass even as she was meant to be a meek archaeologist making it seem kinda pointless. Anyway.

The idea is, you are a 10 year old named Farah. She was on a cruise ship with her family, but it was taken over by ruthless pirates with her parents being kidnapped. So now, you have to go into the jungles to save your parents. Gameplay would be stealthy: you can only stun pirates and they will very quickly kill you if you aren't sneaky. The main interesting part of the game is this: depending on how Farah's feeling, the gameplay changes. When Farah is feeling stable and through a child's eyes, she sees the world in a naive way. Pirates are viewed as storybook style ones, animals are cute and cuddly, everything's bright and colorful like an old school platformer, and Farah views herself as being a happy 10 year old going on a grand adventure. However, when Farah is threatened or going through an adrenaline rush, she views things as they really are: pirates are psychotic crackheads covered in scars with AKs, the animals are aggressive and mangy, everything's down to earth and brown, and Farah sees herself as a terrified little girl covered in hastily bandaged wounds and blood. The advantage however of being in reality is that when an enemy is stunned, you can attempt to execute them with the various objects you have. These are always incredibly brutal and horrible ways to kill people, like bashing in a pirate's face in until there's nothing left but blood, or stabbing them in the eyes with an utility knife, as Farah is completely letting adrenaline take over and as an unskilled fighter is causing them even more pain by virtue of the fact she is too panicked to properly do the job.

It's not just those two realities, however. When Farah is drugged (This is based off Far Cry 3), she begins to Hallucinate. Everything is brightly colored and neon when she's hallucinating, the animals are viewed as humanoids with animal heads, and the pirates are viewed as colorful yet horrible monsters, and she views herself as a twisted caricature of herself. The advantage of being in Hallucination is that you can do impossible things depending on the various objects you use. Locked door? No matter, take this potion and become a gas to slip through it. Animals blocking the way? Simply use a crayon to color yourself tiger-colored and the animals will ignore you. How are you doing all this when all you really are is just a 10 year old on drugs she really shouldn't be taking? God knows.

Finally, there'd be one that occurs in the late game. Insanity. When Farah begins to break under the strain of the insane situation she's found herself in, she herself will go mad. When this happens, everything is weird and twisted. Farah isn't even herself anymore, she's just a black shade with red eyes staring out at nothing. Enemies don't move or react: they're all depicted as tied up and helpless. You can kill them easily... but there's no joy in it. They can't stop you.

After that, I'm not exactly sure of the plot. I just tried to work out the gameplay mechanics first and foremost. I think it ties into that idea, though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: September 20, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »

It's going off what Leonon said. I've heard of a lot of games lately starting with a young, naive, female protagonist and putting them through hell and abuse. Like the most recent Tomb Raider, for instance.
the story is about the carnage that happens after then
So it's not the actual suffering that's core to the story and gameplay. It's the consequences.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: September 20, 2013, 04:11:28 pm »

I want a dark, yet not serious shooter. Kinda like Brink was- neither side was truly good or bad, and the story had some major implications iirc.

Anyway, you've got plenty of in-game factions. Most are fairly dark, such as the "Murder Corps"- black trenchcoats, red armbands, almost Nazi-ish. Their main feature is that you can't see them directly- even the grunts have full masks and gloves, so that you can't even figure out skin color. Later units, sub-bosses, and bosses in this line are often augmented in some way.

Weapons are also not grounded in reality at all times- you've got some crazy stuff like sonic cannons, magic users, the transforming stuff ala RWBY, even up to and beyond mecha, orbital weaponry, gates to heaven/hell...

The game is basically an MMO: choose a side, get to killing. Different modes offer different levels of play- "Heroes" might allow for no-respawn, instant max level, players onnly deathmatch, "Turf War" might be a DOTA-esque mode involving mooks, respawns, items, levelling, and all kinds of fun things.

---

As for the ideas below, how about we take the same idea, apply it to the new ideas of "branching storylines in an FPS"?

Practically every mission is going to be taxing on you, leader within the insert-name-here clandestine ops. You and the three other people in your squad are going to go through hell and back for your nation.

The first few missions play nice. Teammates are scripted to not die, and stress is functionally capped to where you'll only get a taste of what doing badly will bring. The training wheels come flying off very quickly however-just as you're finishing up one mission, a loud bang, a whirling sensation...

and you wake up in the ruins of your chopper, barely alive, surrounded by the enemy. As far as you can see, you're the only one alive. They force you to walk, as best as you can, excruciating as you're more than just banged up. The sequence doesn't last long, but it pulls no punches. Blood, carnage, and your three former teammates strung up from the wreckage as groups of your enemies laugh. Then, black.

The friendly mission info that normally pops up giving you the location, time, date, and mission name come up once more. Unknown, unknown, unknown... and Survive.
You'll have to endure various "interrogations" in a Mass Effect style, except wrong answers will hurt your sanity and your chances of escape. The enemy forces use various methods of torture to control you- mind-altering drugs, lack of medical treatment... the list goes on.

After a number of these interrogations, you'll have learned a few things about the people keeping you hostage. You'll also be afforded a chance at escape.
From here, a traditional mission starts... almost. You're at roughly 10/100 HP, it's hard to walk and you stumble about, and you're definitely seeing things. On occasion, your surroundings flash with horrible visages. At one point, you think the floor has grown a mouth and is trying to eat you. You're trying to hold on to your sanity, when a hideous beast rounds the corner and comes after you.

In reality, it's a random guard armed with an AK wandering around, likely on his way to your cell for some reason or another. You, the barely clothed, barely alive, and almost insane hostage, proceed to claw his eyes out and beat him to a pulp, before taking his weapon. The rest of the mission still has moments of drug-induced freak outs, but you've got a gun now. You still can't distinguish reality from crazytown well either, and the walking sway is lessened. What isn't is your ability to control your rifle. You've got a single magazine, and that's it. No silencer. Every guard hearing gunshots WILL home in on you mercilessly, you won't survive a gunshot, and your accuracy is piss poor. You do have the benefit of adrenaline, which makes some actions that seem impossible less so, and you'll be able to get a first aid kit relatively early on. This will improve your surviveability, but you won't regen health, your aim isn't very improved, and you still wobble a bit. Continuing on, the drugs will start to fade, and you'll get this half-reality where some things are wrong but you can tell what things are- metal bar doors may appear jagged, enemies will appear very evil, etc.

To end the mission, you escape the facility by hijacking an enemy truck and driving off. You manage to lose any pursuers, cut to a scene of you driving nonstop and winding up a fair distance from a city in the desert, at night, when you finally run out of gas.

From here, you get fixed up, tell people a modified version of your story, and get reinstated in your old job. The cracks are evident, and people who knew you are a little off-put by the changes. You've got to make decisions, again, under pressure. You've got to deal with the motivations of revenge, the flashbacks, and your ability to fly off the handle when it comes to murder. If you get too stressed, you'll wind up AWOL- and a traitor.

Eventually you'll be assigned with the capture of the terrorist leader. Cue a scene with him sitting in a room, alone, and you come up to him gun waiting.

Another Mass Effect chat. The leader will speak, and what he has to say will wear on your psyche. You're given the option to capture or kill him, or if you did poorly enough, you'll already be beyond rational decision making.

---

Most decisions are not chosen by the player and are determined only on principle of stress. A mission where you have to call strikes on terrorist forces? With low stress, you'll be able to do it without much outside help, but too much stress and you'll be ordering in missiles. Stress is gained from pain (taking damage), watching teammates get hurt or die, enemies being successful, etc. Stress is relieved by completing objectives and slightly by medkits.

Gunplay is strong, but melee is even better. Rather than limp-noodle knife swinging, you'll get anything from silent, possibly nonlethal takedowns at high sanity, to anything from neck-snaps to animalistic clawing and stabbing at low sanity. You aim better and see better at high sanity, things wobble slightly, your aim is worse, and you're more likely to misidentify or see strange things when sanity is low.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: September 20, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »

I really like Fniff's game. Probably would age up the character to at least 13, but that's just my opinion.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: September 20, 2013, 04:55:56 pm »

I really like Fniff's game. Probably would age up the character to at least 13, but that's just my opinion.
Maybe modern media will grow up and not flip out because of children being anything but invincible and incorrigible?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: September 20, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »

Maybe modern media will grow up and not flip out because of children being anything but invincible and incorrigible?
Yeah, the point of the idea is that Farah is seeing the world through a completely naive viewpoint as she isn't an adult, which steadily becomes corrupted by insanity as the situation worsens. It wouldn't make sense for a 13 year old to mistake ruthless modern pirates for "yaaaar I'll steal your booty" pirates but with a ten year old who's sufficiently sheltered it would make sense. Plus, 13 year olds are usually the "limit" of innocence due to the whole puberty thing, and the thing is that Farah is being corrupted by the madness of the pirates from her initial innocence, so it's sort of like a twisted coming of age story in a way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:05:37 pm by Fniff »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: September 20, 2013, 06:40:50 pm »

From what I know about Tomb Raider, previous incarnations of Lara Croft have actually been very capable and (aside from the issue of over-sexualization, obviously) depicted as on-par with typical male protagonists. That was before she got the everloving shit beaten out of her by huge alpha males, and then bawling her eyes out over the deaths of other huge alpha males.

That Cracked article I saw mentioned earlier is a load of crap, too, especially the section about princesses. If the writer's ever actually played a Legend of Zelda game, they'd know that from the very first game Zelda has been a very capable character in her own right. When she was kidnapped, she quickly took action (at great risk to herself) and split the Triforce so that Ganon couldn't have it. In Wind Waker, for all its faults, Link is just some bumbling dumbass who needs Tetra's (aka Zelda's) help for most of the story. In Spirit Tracks, Zelda is the one ordering Link around for half the time, and even takes part in the final boss fight. In Twilight Princess she LET herself be abducted so that her people wouldn't suffer. Sacrificing yourself for the good of others is a pretty noble thing to do last time I checked, something that takes a lot of courage.

And those are just the Zelda games that I've personally played. My point being, it'd be nice if the people criticizing videogames so heavily would actually pick up a controller and play one before popping off.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: September 20, 2013, 06:47:08 pm »

Ocarina of Time possibly had the best Zelda. When Ganondorf took over she went undercover and spent seven years hiding under Ganon's nose and being an awesome ninja. She also helped Link out quite a lot and provided the final boss-killing weapon.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: September 20, 2013, 06:50:52 pm »

Ocarina of Time possibly had the best Zelda. When Ganondorf took over she went undercover and spent seven years hiding under Ganon's nose and being an awesome ninja. She also helped Link out quite a lot and provided the final boss-killing weapon.

Ahhh, I always forget about Sheik. That's odd too, because I'm pretty much god-tier with Shiek in SSBM :-\
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: September 21, 2013, 02:56:25 am »

I've played a bit of the new Hitman game, and while it isn't bad, it popped an idea into my mind that could make it so much better (in my opinion, at least). It could be mixed with nothing else, but Rainbow Six series. In it's earliest incarnations, of course. Because the way I see it, it is somewhat weird that best assassin in the world heads into the mission heads-on with no plan at all; it would make much more sense if you could check the map beforehand, sketch a plan on it, and then go on with the mission according to plan. There could me mechanics that require you to gather information for upcoming missions - or rather not the information itself, but ways to get it later on. Maybe you could buy it from the broker, along with any weaponry and tools you need? (There is another note I have - it always stroke me that the 47 can't have more than two doses of anesthetic at any given time, but he can carry six pistols and assorted ammunition...) That makes sense if you are a freelance operative and have no backing in bigger organization. But maybe you could be a mob hitman? This way, the cleaner you do the last mission, the more info you have on the next, as nobody is on high alert - and if you go in guns blazing, your next target will put more effort to hide his defenses.

But mostly, yeah, I would like an assassin game where you can actually plan before the mission...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 577