Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926855 times)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3495 on: January 22, 2014, 01:36:11 am »

A Halo game where you play as a Jackal (the Halo enemy, not a literal jackal).

That'd be pretty cool. I remember in Halo 2 there was an Arbiter mission where he/it descends into some infected structure thingy, and you pick up some grunts and jackals as allies. You could swap them better weapons, and I always thought it was fun to try and have them survive... alas, at one point the designers apparently assumed they'd all be dead, and they won't continue even if they do survive the flood.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: January 22, 2014, 05:55:31 am »

A modern Emperor of the fading suns.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: January 22, 2014, 08:02:41 am »

This, a thousand times this!!!! Specially with the Nova and the other mod features included. With up to date graphics, and preferably 3d battles a la Homeworld. Battles like Dawn of War (1) or Company of Heros when two armies collide on the  Civilizationesque planetary map optional.

This is in fact the kind of game I wish for as you could read a couple dozen pages back.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: January 22, 2014, 10:22:25 am »

A Halo game where you play as a Jackal (the Halo enemy, not a literal jackal).

That'd be pretty cool. I remember in Halo 2 there was an Arbiter mission where he/it descends into some infected structure thingy, and you pick up some grunts and jackals as allies. You could swap them better weapons, and I always thought it was fun to try and have them survive... alas, at one point the designers apparently assumed they'd all be dead, and they won't continue even if they do survive the flood.

I wish for this, but where you play as a literal earth jackal. It'd be like the dog in CoD: Ghosts (which I havent played!)

EDIT:  Of course you wouldnt have a handler, you're a jackal. You;d even get armor and shields. You;re objective is to defeat the covenant dingos, those bastards.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

monkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: January 22, 2014, 10:54:11 am »

I want a game that's like Xcom enemy unknown and enemy within,I loved the squad tactics and the whole you can use cover and flank part

Shadowrun Returns might fit.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: January 22, 2014, 12:12:31 pm »

To elaborate on:

A real-time strategy game where where you can build units, their weapons, bases, armor, defenses etc. from scratch (modding support would be appropriate) and either make them manned (player-controlled), remote-controlled or AI-controlled.
The last one could be made for everything - self-building bases, anyone?

And you wouldn't be limited in terms of design beyond physics bringing you down, so you could make an autonomous floating aircraft carrier for all I care.
Positioning of your systems and armor shape/angle would be important as well.

And don't forget making your own weapons, Loadout-style, but more elaborate.

It could be a RTS or an FPS depending on your playstyle. No restrictions.
(of course some tactics and designs would be better than others, but that's pretty much how those kinds of games play out in the end)

I figured that I could provide some examples of in-game mechanics (very specific, but should give you an idea what I would dig):

Let's say I want to create a basic mech-like unit. On treads. With two rapid-fire cannons on the sides and a big, slow one on the top. Alright.
Now, if I want it to be a manned vehicle, I'd need to make a cockpit, steering systems and extra support systems. It's not very efficient, is it?

Alternatively, I could strap the cockpit and instead install remote-control systems and cameras instead. That way, the pilot is still in full control, but is not in direct danger.

But if I so desire, I may even want to program a semi-autonomous AI (of middling elaborateness) to get rid of human interaction completely. This does allow me to amass armies with relatively little manpower available, but you are not able to create a perfect AI, and it would also make it easier for the enemy to capture the mechs in question.

I may instead want to go for a different approach - supersoldiers. I can design the shape and features of their armor, including, but not limited to interface that shows heart pulse and body temperature, to targeting systems to camera systems, not unlike Google Glass.
I can also design their weapons - what kind of ammunition they'll fire, where do the bullets come out from, at what rate, and other stuff. I can also design the ammunition itself (to a small extent) and the magazine capacity. As well as any accessories like flashlights and scopes.

If I want to, I can make a three-barreled automatic sniper rifle (minigun-like) with a break action mechanism. Or an assault rifle that uses high-voltage batteries as ammo, discharging electricity at the enemies from a tesla coil-type barrel.

I could even make a floating superfortress complete with hangars for the aforementioned mechs, barracks for soldiers with the armor of my own design and armory for the strange weapons above and its own defense systems.

Or I could design and program robots that build complete bases for me when provided the resources.

Of course that game can and will be outside of computing range for quite some time in its complete form, but a slightly dumbed down (while still functional and fun to play) version should not be out of the question.

I believe there was even a game like this, where you could design your own items, but I can't remember its name now...

I still want this. With Planetary Annihilation-like graphics and some epic music to satisfy my needs.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:32 pm »

In a phrase, GTA the Roguelike with obsessive creativity.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: January 22, 2014, 01:32:09 pm »

This, a thousand times this!!!! Specially with the Nova and the other mod features included. With up to date graphics, and preferably 3d battles a la Homeworld. Battles like Dawn of War (1) or Company of Heros when two armies collide on the  Civilizationesque planetary map optional.

This is in fact the kind of game I wish for as you could read a couple dozen pages back.

QFT.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: January 22, 2014, 04:50:12 pm »

I had a strange concept for a game involving what I can only assume was a fever dream induced by rolling Custom Robo Arena, any MMO with a garapon/gatchapon, reading about Evolve (new IP by the guys who did Left 4 Dead), and god knows what else, rolling it into a blunt, and smoking it.

---

There are three "gears" to creating your character- the Main, Class, and Skill gears. Main gears would be the character themselves, including main equipment. Class gears modify a Main gear's equipment, appearance, and grants class abilities and minor equipment. Skill gears also augment Main gears, by improving or changing some aspect of the character, sort of like "perks" from most FPS nowdays.

The gatchapon comes in that most characters are unique- sort of like a MOBA roster, except the game isn't a MOBA (thank god).
You can get any Gear from the gara, but most net you Main gears, whereas secondary gears are easier to get from after-match rewards or specialized Garas. Most of the garas would be similar to DLC in that they cost something per roll, however, to keep wanted Gears in the hands of every player, three garas are randomly selected each week that can be rolled using a Gara Ticket, given once per day and rarely dropped from matches.

Trading Gears is allowed, and there are "contracts" that can get you different things for excess Gears. Let's say you got ten of the same unit, you can trade those in for a Gara Ticket. Maybe a trade asks for five of a certain type, and gives you a somewhat better trade.

Let's go ahead and plot out a couple of characters- Main Gears.
Spoiler: Gear001:Nikolai (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gear002:Teppa (click to show/hide)

Class Gears are named by their Main type (there's only four right now), and then their Subtype. Such as:
Medic Ice gives medical skills as well as giving ice affinity to you.
Spoiler: Support AI (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hunter Quake (click to show/hide)

And now, Skill gears. Skill gears are straightforward changes to the way something works, often in percentages.
Spoiler: Swiftkiller (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Skill Trick (click to show/hide)

I could go the obvious route- Teppa with Support AI and the Skill Trick gears or Nikolai with Hunter Quake and Swiftkiller, but I could just as easily build Teppa to stalk about quickly using her natural skills with Hunter Quake and Swiftkiller, and Nikolai could be used to wall heavily with Support AI and Skill Trick in a pinch.

---

Matches are different depending on mode, and there are certain modes that allow players to be things other than Gears. Each map is populated with some sort of wildlife- imagine Far Cry 3, but multiplayer, and more insane. Space Komodo Dragons might be the reason your team dies and a enemy need not even shoot at you, but generally the wildlife plays a more passive than active role. Sure, some animals are pissed off and territorial, but they aren't as lethal as another player. Unless, of course, a map features lasersharks or something.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: January 29, 2014, 06:02:55 pm »

Game i wish existed:
Incursion v1.0
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: January 29, 2014, 06:24:09 pm »

A third person RPG with a good magic system. No mana, every spell you cast tires you, so you'd have some sort of stamina for both physical exertion and mental, though balanced in a way that depending on how your stats are you'll be using it more/less efficently. So if you have high Int or Will or whatever is tied to magic use, it means that you are better mentally trained and thus are able to endure greater mental stress and exertion.
Also spells wouldn't be the classic you throw a fireball thing. Instead, based on runes and magic scribing. Basically, certain words, or symbols do certain things, but often, they can't work alone effectively, so you'd maybe need a chill rune and a power projection rune to get an ice blast spell, kinda like Magicka but much more intricate, with various ways to do things and combine spells and their effects. Now, this shit is complicated and takes time to develop and put on paper, which will only give you a single shot most of the time Unless you use some boosts or artefacts or whatever to boost that.
Or, you could go the direct route, and inscribe that shit directly on yourself, spells work as long as your body does, and you get the ability to use them passively to improve your physical performance (kinda like augs in Deus Ex). Then there's always insciribing equipment for various effects, of course you'll need a magical power source for that to have any effect.
In the end, it might seem like a regular RPG game with buffs, auras, spells and enchantments but the trick is that it's all covered by a single powerful magic system, which leads to big customization options, as well as gameplay options.
Combine this with a big enough skill tree and a relatively detailed combat system and you get pretty damn good replayabilty. (and I have several ideas on builds and stuff already that would be cool to play, like a ninja assasin that uses enchanted throwing knives to take out enemies, the knives could explode, toss enemies around, stun them, and whatever else you can fit onto a knife)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: January 29, 2014, 07:21:57 pm »

snip
Isn't there a forum game here that is pretty much exactly that?
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: January 29, 2014, 07:57:20 pm »

snip
Isn't there a forum game here that is pretty much exactly that?

While forum games are great and all, there's a difference between that and physically having a controller in your hand and being able to do these things.  Or a keyboard, I'm not discriminating.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: January 30, 2014, 01:43:59 pm »

I'd like to see a roguelike trading card game, where you go around "dungeons" (not really dungeons per se) fighting against people with incomplete decks while searching for rare, randomly-generated cards. (Cards that you could normally buy would be pre-determined - think artifacts vs standard equipment)

Probably using a Pokemon TCG-like rules because that's the only trading card game I know how to play.

blazing glory

« Reply #3509 on: January 31, 2014, 10:46:05 pm »

I would love a game that is a first person shooter,the catch is that you are a grunt,you are not and will never be the chosen one you are not the military commander,you are a grunt on the front lines and nothing will change that,due to you not being a hero you are as fragile as everyone else,instead of promotions you get skill level upgrades (aka rookie experianced and veteren and maybe some more after that) having those upgrades you can upgrade your stats however these stat upgrades will only make you slightly better then everyone else,then there are commanding officers,there would be about 30-60 officers in the game 5 will be strategic geniuses,20 will be stupid idiots that belive the rightousness of their cause will bring them to victory,in the case of these idiots instead of doing what your told you have to survive long enough for the idiot to end up dead and the next highest ranking soldier (who is also more sane) will order a retreat,the rest of the generals will be average or leaning slightly in one direction or the other,there will also be cover mechanics and (maybe?) some special skills,for example one that would be named something like trusted friend will allow you to see for a limited time what your general's plan is,so you can decide if you want to be somewhat slow on the next charge because the men in the front will get slaughtered or if you want to be in front because it will be a very balenced fight and you will need to do your very best to tip the fight in your favour.

But no matter what happens,you will always be a grunt on the front lines who will very easily get himself killed unless he's very very careful and can think fast.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 577