Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929534 times)

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3945 on: May 06, 2014, 08:09:26 pm »

A massively open-world game devoted almost 100% to pure exploration.  Perhaps you are a spacefaring botanist or the like visiting another world.  Minimal combat--any native fauna should behave like true animals, running away at the first sign of hostility or threat on your part, with only a few large animals being aggressive or territorial enough to actually pursue you.  Mostly you just observe them, probably taking photographs of animals, samples of soil, plants, etc.  The dangers would mostly be in not knowing what's poisonous versus what's safe, and natural hazards like quicksand, falling if you are climbing a difficult area or tree, sudden dropoffs in deep water, etc.

Maybe you find the ruins of a civilization there, but no real people.  You could explore the ancient cities, wandering amongst decayed buildings and wondering what happened.  Or maybe you don't, and just venture through the wilderness, seeing what strange and wonderful things there are to see. 

All the games resembling this that I know of are all about making the native life outrageously hostile for no adequately explained reason.  Space-wolves are apparently perpetually starving, immune to pain, and will always choose the absolutely most difficult prey even if offered an easy and familiar alternative, I guess.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: May 07, 2014, 01:57:14 am »

For me, a dream game would combine Gothic 3 or Witcher's combat system with NWN 2 graphics and moddability and BG's map and rich world.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: May 07, 2014, 06:03:00 am »

A massively open-world game devoted almost 100% to pure exploration.
You can achieve this game by going outside and keeping on walking.

(Snark aside, I agree that video-game representations of wild animals are pretty absurd.)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3948 on: May 07, 2014, 08:24:39 am »

A massively open-world game devoted almost 100% to pure exploration.  Perhaps you are a spacefaring botanist or the like visiting another world.  Minimal combat--any native fauna should behave like true animals, running away at the first sign of hostility or threat on your part, with only a few large animals being aggressive or territorial enough to actually pursue you.  Mostly you just observe them, probably taking photographs of animals, samples of soil, plants, etc.  The dangers would mostly be in not knowing what's poisonous versus what's safe, and natural hazards like quicksand, falling if you are climbing a difficult area or tree, sudden dropoffs in deep water, etc.

Maybe you find the ruins of a civilization there, but no real people.  You could explore the ancient cities, wandering amongst decayed buildings and wondering what happened.  Or maybe you don't, and just venture through the wilderness, seeing what strange and wonderful things there are to see. 

All the games resembling this that I know of are all about making the native life outrageously hostile for no adequately explained reason.  Space-wolves are apparently perpetually starving, immune to pain, and will always choose the absolutely most difficult prey even if offered an easy and familiar alternative, I guess.

There is Noctis, but it's a little... lo-fi...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: May 07, 2014, 10:26:59 am »

Yeah I'd second Noctis as the closest you're going to get, I think the latest version can be found here: http://anynowhere.com/bb/posts.php?t=4464

You basically fly around in a big spaceship and visit procedurally generated planets (some with wildlife and flora, ruins and other stuff) and just generally explore (you can also store readings of planets and stuff and mark them down, so you actually feel a bit like an explorer). It's fantastic and unique, but it does get boring fast after you realize there's basically nothing to do, and that you're basically just looking at slightly different graphics (which are all terrible) whilst trying not to run out of fuel.

There have been loads of talks of updates/new versions (none properly touched since 2009), and it's something I'm dying to see. Even some basic survival elements would vastly increase it's playability and enjoyment.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: May 07, 2014, 10:52:09 am »

Infinity: The Quest For Earth was supposed to have that, but they couldn't get the funding, so now it will be a space shooter with one solar system.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:08 am »

Yeah I'd second Noctis as the closest you're going to get, I think the latest version can be found here: http://anynowhere.com/bb/posts.php?t=4464

You basically fly around in a big spaceship and visit procedurally generated planets (some with wildlife and flora, ruins and other stuff) and just generally explore (you can also store readings of planets and stuff and mark them down, so you actually feel a bit like an explorer). It's fantastic and unique, but it does get boring fast after you realize there's basically nothing to do, and that you're basically just looking at slightly different graphics (which are all terrible) whilst trying not to run out of fuel.

There have been loads of talks of updates/new versions (none properly touched since 2009), and it's something I'm dying to see. Even some basic survival elements would vastly increase it's playability and enjoyment.

Checked it out, but don't quite understand how to play or install. Is there a thread on it somewhere on B12?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: May 07, 2014, 02:12:02 pm »

Can't find anything conclusive on B12, but if you navigate through http://anynowhere.com/ and the forums (admittedly really difficult to do) there should be some stuff on install procedure as I remember finding it a while ago.

Noctis is really good though, and I'd thoroughly recommend getting into it. You have to kinda make your own stories/use your imagination a bit, but it's well worth it. I actually got hooked for quite some time on trying to find other proper aliens to interact with after reading somewhere that they did actually exist (which they don't - not that it spoils anything, it just stops you mindlessly hunting) although finding ruins and weird planets is really exciting.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: May 07, 2014, 02:14:10 pm »

A simulation of being a Star Trek captain that lies somewhere between Star Trek Bridge Commander, Dwarf Fortress, Mass Effect, and Star Trek 25th Anniversary. Command a ship, give orders, go down to planets, solve mysteries, etc.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: May 07, 2014, 02:23:26 pm »

A simulation of being a Star Trek captain that lies somewhere between Star Trek Bridge Commander, Dwarf Fortress, Mass Effect, and Star Trek 25th Anniversary. Command a ship, give orders, go down to planets, solve mysteries, etc.

Have you tried Artemis bridge commander? There's no mysteries or planets or anything, but it's definitely the closest thing to star trek battles. THey're also adding a lot more stuff in soon (more non fighting npc ships and such) so it'll definitely move towards a more fully featured game rather than just combat. You do need 3-5 friends though (2 absolute minimum, 3 really) but it's great fun!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: May 10, 2014, 08:59:13 pm »

Spiritual successor to secret of mana and seiken densetsu 3.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: May 10, 2014, 09:02:53 pm »

A legit english version of Valkyria chronicles 3.(It being on PC would be even better.)
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

blazing glory

« Reply #3957 on: May 10, 2014, 09:59:38 pm »

Metroid prime 4.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #3958 on: May 10, 2014, 10:16:53 pm »

Metroid prime 4.

Isn't it in developement?

But yes, I have to agree with you, we need more metroid games.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

blazing glory

« Reply #3959 on: May 10, 2014, 10:27:00 pm »

Metroid prime 4.

Isn't it in developement?

The thing is,no one bleeding knows,except Nintendo and Retro studios.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 577