Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926868 times)

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #6750 on: March 18, 2016, 06:08:39 am »

Since nano-augmentations are designed to work with organic tissue, there would have to be special augments that work with mechanicals. Those take time and money to research and produce, which would become less and less of an option for companies as mechanical augments become less popular anyway.

And what if augs aren't cross-compatible, i.e. your VersaLife arm socket won't fit any LIMB arms? What if VersaLife then goes out of business and stops producing arms that fit your socket? Would you risk making a piece of your body a third-rate, unofficial item?
I guess my ideas on augmentation are more… extensive. Actually all that stuff about Deep NNs and so on is far more interesting than some augmented limbs or organs and probably also provides a way to design much more general interfaces that can be connected wily-nilly – the only downside to using an "incompatible" one would either be insufficient complexity in the net (which can be fixed by just adding more) and longer training time to being able to use your new whatever. Connect such a thing to your brain, do so more and more, one day your personality is more in that than in your original brain, why would I want something that needs my biological body to function? That kind of makes the largest possible boon to augmentation moot, that is, the ability to evade death.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6751 on: March 18, 2016, 08:49:44 pm »

I want a game that explores the social implications of some event that caused a "forced evolution" of the human species as a whole. Like, there are tons of games where some baddy is plotting to change all humans and is stopped, but instead of that, it works, and it makes everyone sorta better (not silly superpowers a la DCUO, something more subtle).

Like, if the fusion ending of Mass Effect 3 had happened. But not as an adventure game, but as a game where now you have to find out what happens once everyone has to accept their new physiology. I haven't thought this thru, exactly. Just the broad idea.

DEUS EX HUMAN REVOLUTION - From the plot synopsis:

"After terrorists brutally attack Sarif's Detroit-based headquarters, the mortally wounded Jensen is forced to undergo radical life-saving surgeries that replace large areas of his body with advanced prostheses and internal organ systems. Returning to work, he becomes embroiled in the global politics of the human enhancement movement in the search for those responsible for the attack. Central themes to the game are snip snip snip snip the ethics of advancing humans with artificial replacements for body parts."

Not to spoil anything but "augmentation" is already a widespread thing, and it clearly improves the world as a whole but has ethical drawbacks. The bad guy also fits the bill, with grand designs involving augmentation. It even has a choose-your-own ending.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6752 on: March 18, 2016, 10:42:32 pm »

There is also shadowrun. It is largely about common human failings of capitalism granted enough rope to hang itself and there are plenty of normal humans running about, but on the surface the setting is mostly about magic becoming a thing and civilisation spontaneously having to deal with being split up into multiple species with drastically different capabilities and the largely random appearance of magic-use amidst a growing cybernetic replacement technology. It does sound rather more like jamming everything together to make a game world with lots of options, rather than any sort of outlet for social speculation, but it is probably worth a brief investigation...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6753 on: March 18, 2016, 11:05:06 pm »

I want a game that explores the social implications of some event that caused a "forced evolution" of the human species as a whole. Like, there are tons of games where some baddy is plotting to change all humans and is stopped, but instead of that, it works, and it makes everyone sorta better (not silly superpowers a la DCUO, something more subtle).

Like, if the fusion ending of Mass Effect 3 had happened. But not as an adventure game, but as a game where now you have to find out what happens once everyone has to accept their new physiology. I haven't thought this thru, exactly. Just the broad idea.

DEUS EX HUMAN REVOLUTION - From the plot synopsis:

"After terrorists brutally attack Sarif's Detroit-based headquarters, the mortally wounded Jensen is forced to undergo radical life-saving surgeries that replace large areas of his body with advanced prostheses and internal organ systems. Returning to work, he becomes embroiled in the global politics of the human enhancement movement in the search for those responsible for the attack. Central themes to the game are snip snip snip snip the ethics of advancing humans with artificial replacements for body parts."

Not to spoil anything but "augmentation" is already a widespread thing, and it clearly improves the world as a whole but has ethical drawbacks. The bad guy also fits the bill, with grand designs involving augmentation. It even has a choose-your-own ending.

I already responded to that. Deus Ex has voluntary augmentations. Those who want to buy them, get them. I'm talking a global "upgrade" of the human population. Like, something caused by a virus or cosmic radiation or something like that. Not going to the shop to get upgraded.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6754 on: March 21, 2016, 11:57:54 pm »

I don't have a a VR rig and haven't actually played with anything remotely like it aside from putting my phone in my face and going cross-eyed. That said...

A procedural-world VR walking simulator with some tricks to make your otherwise limited physical space unlimited, such as turning you around when you get too close to a wall. Throw in world editing, maybe even a survival/crafting element. I'd especially like a Myst or similar rule-driven fantasy or science fiction setting.

I picture exploring miles and miles of procedural terrain until I find a really cool place to build a virtual home. Then I cut down a tree or conjure a stonecutting tool or whatever and I can use it to start digging or cutting rocks. Build a workshop, get a furnace, etc. etc. until I have a full mansion, library, and a magical workshop where I may, with effort, create portals to new procedural worlds. Or a glider or other vehicle!

I just want to be a god, is that too much to ask?

Multiplayer, of course, but it could easily be hot"seat" or pollinated content instead of live.

If fantasy, that's great because new worlds are "realms" or "planes" and can have weird physics and protective enchantments. If sci-fi, that's great because they can be other planets or dimensions and the can have harsh atmospheres that call for oxygen and customized suits.

Nobody say minecraft VR.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 12:04:33 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6755 on: March 22, 2016, 03:27:14 am »

A mobile XCOM-like strategy game, but even lighter. Maybe like Fire Emblem unit rock-paper-scissors level. I actually used to play Fire Emblem Gaiden on my phone all the time, via emulator. It was a ton of fun on bus rides.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6756 on: March 22, 2016, 04:36:34 am »

I don't have a a VR rig and haven't actually played with anything remotely like it aside from putting my phone in my face and going cross-eyed. That said...
I do not believe in the current V.R. technology. It doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, have the ability to do anything with eye focus. Now most of your brain will work off of eye coordination, but I expect that for any sort of immersion project like this, we are talking about a lot of time spent with things right in front of the eye and it will be bad for eyesight in the long term, but that is just speculation on my part so someone could say that I am just wrong here and that would be plausible. Secondly, it has issues with sensory stuff, it is pretty good with visuals but in my experience, if the subject is good enough, then a flat screen is plenty to immerse you. I mean, Dwarf Fortress can be immersive if you are into it enough... I don't really see purely visual stimuli as really being enough of an advancement to really raise the bar on immersion. I do not know how they are going on surround sound and blocking external sounds, ut there is no smell, orientation, pressure, or any other ability to provide stimuli or suppress it so...

If you are going the whole hog and suspending yourself from cables and seeing your hands move and interact with stuff in-game and being able to duck, walk, run and jump naturally, then yeah, that would be a thing, but aside from being expensive to build it would be difficult to place and the extra equipment to track the rest of your body would be a right pain, possibly literally...

I suspect that to get true virtual reality with current technology you would probably need a hypnotist and something hallucinogenic...

But I agree that it would be pretty cool if technology got to the point where it could actually provide an immersive experience via brute-force...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6757 on: March 22, 2016, 10:15:25 pm »

I want somebody to make one of those shovelware tie-in games, like Barbie's Pets Clubhouse or whatever, but really good. Top-notch development team, AAA budget, three-year development cycle, the latest and greatest and every department... but absolutely no marketing aside from whatever shovelware usually gets.

I just want to see people's reactions when such a game is discovered over a decade later. :P
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6758 on: March 26, 2016, 10:52:22 am »

Sorry for the double post, but I want to articulate this idea while I'm still coherent enough to make my case.

I want a remake of the entire Resident Evil timeline post-RE3 (maybe post-CV, I never played that one).

RE3 was really, really close to making the Resident Evil series have a compelling plot. There were badass sympathetic characters, an awesome villain in Nemesis, some human drama in the civilians you find here and there, Jill was awesome, and at the end there were about several plot threads threads that could have been made into good games in their own right... and indeed some did! Claire's and Leon's epilogues retroactively became sequel hooks, for Code Veronica and RE4 respectively. I think Barry's epilogue was meant to be a sequel hook as well, for a game that either never materialized or became RE Gaiden.

RE4 brought back the campy hammy goodness, and was an awesome game for it. However, I'm curious what could have happened if they went down this serious path for a little bit longer, but with actual competence and good ideas. Definitely less of the Metal Gear-style "let's retroactively put things into the timeline, whether or not it makes sense" writing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6759 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:59 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but I want to articulate this idea while I'm still coherent enough to make my case.

I want a remake of the entire Resident Evil timeline post-RE3 (maybe post-CV, I never played that one).

RE3 was really, really close to making the Resident Evil series have a compelling plot. There were badass sympathetic characters, an awesome villain in Nemesis, some human drama in the civilians you find here and there, Jill was awesome, and at the end there were about several plot threads threads that could have been made into good games in their own right... and indeed some did! Claire's and Leon's epilogues retroactively became sequel hooks, for Code Veronica and RE4 respectively. I think Barry's epilogue was meant to be a sequel hook as well, for a game that either never materialized or became RE Gaiden.

RE4 brought back the campy hammy goodness, and was an awesome game for it. However, I'm curious what could have happened if they went down this serious path for a little bit longer, but with actual competence and good ideas. Definitely less of the Metal Gear-style "let's retroactively put things into the timeline, whether or not it makes sense" writing.

RE: Outbreak 1 & 2 retain the feel of RE3. They were unconventional in that they required controlling multiple characters to really succeed, but I liked them for that "serious survival feel".

I think 2 was the one with the zoo. There were lions and elephants.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #6760 on: March 28, 2016, 02:54:19 pm »

RE: Outbreak 1 & 2 retain the feel of RE3. They were unconventional in that they required controlling multiple characters to really succeed, but I liked them for that "serious survival feel".

I think 2 was the one with the zoo. There were lions and elephants.
There seriously needs to be an Outbreak remake with proper multiplayer.

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:29 pm »

Something like Noctis... with more stuff to do & active development

Believe me or don't, but I think this old post of mine comes true in June.  :)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: March 28, 2016, 09:58:10 pm »

Another Independence War. I-War 3.
Updated graphics/engine, same physics, moar systems. About as big as X3 or so.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6763 on: March 29, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »

A VR FPSz-MOBA.

The PCs are highly mobile special ops units in a science fiction setting. You use high-tech one-of-a-kind gadgets (most built into your jet-pack-equipped power armor) to bring about significant changes to the flow of combat between two opposing teams of robotic minions, assist your allies, and slow or stop your enemies.

Maps are huge, and you use a variety of vehicles and gadgets to move around. As you level up (by gaining resources and strategic points), you can either upgrade your armor or your mooks. The VR element is key because it's an intensely kinetic game. Ducking, climbing, and dodging is extremely possible thanks to the variety of (unusual) weapons.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 05:08:16 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

rubberduck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: March 30, 2016, 03:33:21 pm »

A single-player tactical FPS skirmish game.

I want a tactical shooter where I can boot the game up, start a randomized map, shoot goons for 15 minutes until I win the level (reach the end, disarm the bomb, save the hostage, whatever), and then go back to whatever I was working on before I got a hankering for shooting people. There are a bunch of simple ones, semi-oldschool ones like Tower of Guns, Heavy Bullets, etc., but I want something more realistic and diverse. The main approximation I've got in my head right now are Farcry 4 camps. Boot up a randomized camp, clear it however you desire, done. Though a game where you clear an underground base using cover-based shooter mechanics might be equally viable, as long as it has a sufficient number of different viable tactics.
Pages: 1 ... 449 450 [451] 452 453 ... 577