Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929232 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #7260 on: November 27, 2016, 01:19:15 pm »

Once, I misheard someone watching an Age of Empires trailer. I thought that it was Age of Vampires.

I so want that to be a real thing and not just a hearing mistake.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7261 on: November 29, 2016, 02:26:19 am »

After hearing James and Mike explain the Friday the 13th NES game, I'm convinced that it's just misunderstood and could actually be a good game with some tweaks. Make the map smaller, don't confuse it with trying to unwrap a circular path into a line, fix the stupid puzzles and reduce the damage that enemies do. It could be a pretty cool roguelite sort of phone game, with the paths between houses being endless runner-esque sections.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #7262 on: December 01, 2016, 06:17:09 pm »

I just finished mass effect 3 again, after playing 1 and 2 again during the holidays. I even installed a mod that changed the technicolor dissapointments we got for endings into a rough around the edges, but much more satisfying bittersweet ending.

And now I'm back at that place where I finished a game I really, really enjoyed and I just can't seem to find something else that's similar. Or at least can hold my attention and get me as emotionally invested. The story and especially the characters in mass effect just really clicked with me for some reason. But I've played most games that are similar to it, so I'm in another vidya dry spell. Probably not a bad thing per se, since it will let me focus on more important things, but still.

I really want a game with mass effect character interaction and a setting/story that can get me invested. But I don't trust Bioware anymore to deliver something like that.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7263 on: December 01, 2016, 07:08:06 pm »

I want a sequel to Operation Flashpoint that carries the ideas and themes of the game, not just the basic gameplay. I've only played ARMA 1 and 2, but the ARMA series seems to do a complete 180 on all but the gameplay of OFP. OFP had very slow character growth over dozens of missions; ARMA 2 takes you from grunt to supermarine just because your squad leader got killed. OFP had thoughtful if generic faux-orchestra music, ARMA has lame rock & roll. In OFP, if you were alone then either your team got killed or you're playing the special forces character; in ARMA 1 there's tons of missions where it's just you doing things by your lonesome for no reason.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7264 on: December 01, 2016, 07:28:15 pm »

I want a sequel to Operation Flashpoint that carries the ideas and themes of the game, not just the basic gameplay. I've only played ARMA 1 and 2, but the ARMA series seems to do a complete 180 on all but the gameplay of OFP. OFP had very slow character growth over dozens of missions; ARMA 2 takes you from grunt to supermarine just because your squad leader got killed. OFP had thoughtful if generic faux-orchestra music, ARMA has lame rock & roll. In OFP, if you were alone then either your team got killed or you're playing the special forces character; in ARMA 1 there's tons of missions where it's just you doing things by your lonesome for no reason.

I do agree. It's strange, I've talked a lot of Bohemia games today, but... Heh, these things happen. I miss the general feeling of Operation Flashpoint, the experience of being another pair of boots on the line. Special forces and advanced technology and other toys do have their place, but it is odd when they are the main flavour, all of a sudden.
Being the leader of a squad is fun and engaging, but there were more missions, and flavour, to doing good old fashioned grunt work in OFP. I think you did get command of a squad in the campaign, but not until you had earned it, quite a long way in.
One of my favourite missions in OFP, and indeed in most FPSes, is the one where your squad is sent to build a nice little camp in a village, while you, Sarge and another chap drives off to scout a nearby forest. There isn't much action in that mission. It is effectively you and two friends on a road trip, interrupted by a handful of Russians. Still, it was tense and exciting, and it was a nice contrast with the bigger invasion-type missions.
I like capturing war criminals, spear-heading invasions at dawn and using digital satellite-guided rocket missiles and what not, but I prefer them mixed in with good old grunt work. It stops being special otherwise. It can be equally exciting just guarding a lorry and a few tents a dark, foggy night from a handful of rebels, if done right. Only let me do the Sergeant Supermarine Jollies for desert if I've eaten my Private-potatoes.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7265 on: December 01, 2016, 07:28:50 pm »

I just finished mass effect 3 again, after playing 1 and 2 again during the holidays. I even installed a mod that changed the technicolor dissapointments we got for endings into a rough around the edges, but much more satisfying bittersweet ending.

And now I'm back at that place where I finished a game I really, really enjoyed and I just can't seem to find something else that's similar. Or at least can hold my attention and get me as emotionally invested. The story and especially the characters in mass effect just really clicked with me for some reason. But I've played most games that are similar to it, so I'm in another vidya dry spell. Probably not a bad thing per se, since it will let me focus on more important things, but still.

I really want a game with mass effect character interaction and a setting/story that can get me invested. But I don't trust Bioware anymore to deliver something like that.

Drunk Tali 4 life
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7266 on: December 02, 2016, 05:18:48 am »

I think I'd like an XCOM FPS. Not like the cancelled one with the black alien things, however. What I want is basically XCOM: Enemy Unknown except with FPS mechanics instead of turn-based mechanics for the battles.

• It's a co-op game with other players being part of the squad.
  • The alien AIs are competent. They are not like other shooters where they are dumb and are mostly there to get killed - they are a challenge.
  • The aliens have better guns, leading to a unique situation where the player has to be careful and tactical lest they get killed by the enemy - a different experience to most shooters where the player is more technologically advanced than the enemy hordes.
  • You start off with regular human guns to kill aliens. This lets you get acclimatised since you've used regular guns in other shooters.
  • Since the players are the soldiers, they really feel it when they get new guns. It's not just better numbers like in regular XCOM, it's an entirely different experience and feels like a significant evolution when you go from bullets to laser.
  • At first you have to be careful and tactical because the enemy has powerful weapons and you have little protection. That doesn't change throughout the game due to the difficulty curve, but as you get better armour things get different. You grow, you become a bigger threat to the aliens, you are evolving beyond an elite human soldier into a space marine.
  • Once unlocked, the different armours massively open up tactical options and increase the depth of the game greatly, moreso than in regular XCOM. From flight, to fire immunity, to having unlimited sprint as a result of it being power armour, it's all really fun, is more than just a percentile increase to something like in other shooters, and it's important due to the ever increasing difficulty of the game.
  • If you have a watch like in Metro 2033 where it tells you your visibility, stealth as a mechanic is more than just the Ghost Armour.
  • Gene mods increase the feel of evolution into a more powerful soldier and are fun.
  • Playing as a MEC with their fuck-off huge guns and their loads of health would be heaps fun.
  • Chryssalids become scarier. They're scary enough in XCOM, but its turn-based nature lets you make plans for dealing with them. In a real-time game you don't have that luxury and are subsequently harder to fight.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7267 on: December 02, 2016, 07:31:01 am »

I literally imagined Halo (the first one's) mechanics for most of those points. Maybe that would be what the midgame feels like?

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7268 on: December 02, 2016, 09:30:03 am »

I do agree. It's strange, I've talked a lot of Bohemia games today, but... Heh, these things happen. I miss the general feeling of Operation Flashpoint, the experience of being another pair of boots on the line. Special forces and advanced technology and other toys do have their place, but it is odd when they are the main flavour, all of a sudden.
Being the leader of a squad is fun and engaging, but there were more missions, and flavour, to doing good old fashioned grunt work in OFP. I think you did get command of a squad in the campaign, but not until you had earned it, quite a long way in.
One of my favourite missions in OFP, and indeed in most FPSes, is the one where your squad is sent to build a nice little camp in a village, while you, Sarge and another chap drives off to scout a nearby forest. There isn't much action in that mission. It is effectively you and two friends on a road trip, interrupted by a handful of Russians. Still, it was tense and exciting, and it was a nice contrast with the bigger invasion-type missions.
I like capturing war criminals, spear-heading invasions at dawn and using digital satellite-guided rocket missiles and what not, but I prefer them mixed in with good old grunt work. It stops being special otherwise. It can be equally exciting just guarding a lorry and a few tents a dark, foggy night from a handful of rebels, if done right. Only let me do the Sergeant Supermarine Jollies for desert if I've eaten my Private-potatoes.

Yes! Loved OFP. I played ARM II and the improvement in graphics etc. was nice, but the feeling wasn't the same. I think its exactly as you say. It's not all about the action, but being in that situation.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #7269 on: December 02, 2016, 05:41:39 pm »

I think I'd like an XCOM FPS. Not like the cancelled one with the black alien things, however. What I want is basically XCOM: Enemy Unknown except with FPS mechanics instead of turn-based mechanics for the battles.
For my part, I really want that XCOM FPS with the black inky aliens to exist. Not as an XCOM game, because it basically has nothing to do with XCOM, but as it's own thing.
I can only think that if they had decided NOT to use the XCOM name, the damn thing would have been great.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7270 on: December 02, 2016, 09:30:03 pm »

I want XCOM: X-Files. Literally, its X-files but instead of aliens it's usually terrorists......and aliens.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7271 on: December 03, 2016, 06:23:02 am »

All halo games for pc, including Halo wars.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7272 on: December 03, 2016, 07:05:50 pm »

I wish there was Hexen, but... not that game. The dark-fantasy FPS idea is great and it's even fun for brief moments, but it's seriously let down by monotonous levels and platforming sections, and the whole "find all the switches to beat the hub" system is key-hunt design of the worst order.

It's a good thing Quake 1 exists, just too bad that nobody's ever expressed interest in making a sequel in the vein of Q1 rather than Q2.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7273 on: December 03, 2016, 09:48:58 pm »

I want XCOM: X-Files. Literally, its X-files but instead of aliens it's usually terrorists......and aliens.
Dude that's Enemy Within. Well, at least part of It. I do see what you're saying though
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7274 on: December 03, 2016, 10:11:35 pm »

ARMA II Conquest servers really gave the feel of just another grunt on the ground. On the best ones, there were coordinated assaults and upwards of 20 players in the OP at any give time.

EDIT: I wish for an OFP/ARMA game with a much more intuitive inventory system, among some other quality of life improvements that don't affect "muh realism".
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 483 484 [485] 486 487 ... 577