Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1558310 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11580 on: November 08, 2014, 03:47:17 pm »

Oh, and I'm interested in the Anime mod.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11581 on: November 08, 2014, 04:25:29 pm »

Mercer yells at me for burning too many bee hives
Ah, I remember playing through that section... Summoning a flame atronach is a really bad idea around things you want not on fire.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11582 on: November 08, 2014, 04:31:15 pm »

I remember that mission fondly as well... Mostly because I ended up trying to fend off all of the guards with a sword in one hand while trying to complete the mission with the generic fire spell in the other. And then a dragon attacked. Needless to say none of the hives survived that little debacle.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11583 on: November 21, 2014, 12:19:59 am »

I have a question for people who play Skyrim; While playing I have noticed that the NPC's don't tend to talk to each other. I can't find any definite information around whether this is a change Bethesda made from Oblivion or it just isn't triggering in my game for some reason.

There is a difference here. I don't mean scripted dialogue, like the Redguards and the Whiterun guard when you first enter Whiterun, but random dialogue like in Oblivion where people would stop each other and make comments around things.

I stand off to the side of Whiterun market and, aside from the jeweller announcing her wears being made by Greymane, none of the other NPCs say anything. They stand in front of the stalls, thinking and move on or walk through the market without stopping.

Are they supposed to talk to each other or was it diminished to this degree from Oblivion?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11584 on: November 21, 2014, 12:26:37 am »

Only NPCs who have specific dialog with each other will talk to each other; there is no random dialog.

Skyrim in general is pretty awful with NPCs.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11585 on: November 21, 2014, 12:30:41 am »

It's there, but I think they toned it down due to the pants-on-head retardedness of Oblivion chatter.

I notice it most in faction buildings (Companions, Government halls, College of Winterhold, etc.)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11586 on: November 21, 2014, 12:33:56 am »

Right right, that fits with what I've seen.

I was fiddling around with the NPCs in Whiterun market and I sat around for a bit and the sellers were all quiet. I went up and talked to them and afterwards those I talked to started shouting their spiels again. Some dormancy thing so they're not still talking while your not in the area I assume.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11587 on: November 21, 2014, 01:09:59 am »

It's there, but I think they toned it down due to the pants-on-head retardedness of Oblivion chatter.

I think we can all agree Morrowind had the best random NPC dialogue.

The blue ones look nice, but the brown ones seem to last longer.

Mournhold. City of light. City. Of MAGIC!

I don't recall using teleportation. And yet there I was. Naked.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11588 on: November 21, 2014, 10:05:52 am »

I just restarted Skyrim.  I have only been playing it for a little while, since I got it during the Steam Sale.

My first character was a Nord (of course) who specialized in hitting things hard with a two handed Flawless Skyforge Steel sword of frost.  I tried to be a good guy--I really did--but wound up a bit of a cannibal while pursuing the Oblivion Walker achievement.  But no problem!  I can make good by assassinating everyone who knows my secret, and use Eola to get the ebony mail, that'll make up for killing Verulus, right?  Right?

So, overcome with guilt, I restarted.  This time, I had chose an Altmer named Drogo (since I made him look like Kal Drogo).  I have decided that he will be a bit of a bastard, specializing in magic, stealth, assassination, and thievery (last time, I destroyed the Dark Brotherhood).  I am looking forward to killing as many NPC's as possible.  I am probably going to start with Sven, once I have leveled a bit.  I will say it was strange walking to Windhelm and not being able to stop off to visit the girls in Breezehome.  I am also kind of avoiding Sofia.  It feels awkward since I can't adopt her.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11589 on: November 21, 2014, 10:28:23 am »

I have a question for people who play Skyrim; While playing I have noticed that the NPC's don't tend to talk to each other. I can't find any definite information around whether this is a change Bethesda made from Oblivion or it just isn't triggering in my game for some reason.

There is a difference here. I don't mean scripted dialogue, like the Redguards and the Whiterun guard when you first enter Whiterun, but random dialogue like in Oblivion where people would stop each other and make comments around things.

I stand off to the side of Whiterun market and, aside from the jeweller announcing her wears being made by Greymane, none of the other NPCs say anything. They stand in front of the stalls, thinking and move on or walk through the market without stopping.

Are they supposed to talk to each other or was it diminished to this degree from Oblivion?

You're right, they rarely talk to each other. That being said, Arthmoor's Cutting Room Floor restores a lot of cut content from the game, and this includes a number of scripted conversations that were already recorded and included with the game, but not enabled. Similarly, the Unofficial patches re-enable some scripted conversation (usually because the actors involved never actually appeared in the same cell together).

That doesn't directly answer your question, but between the two of them Skyrim's NPCs felt more alive to me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 10:36:27 am by Taffer »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11590 on: November 21, 2014, 10:38:59 am »

I just restarted Skyrim.  I have only been playing it for a little while, since I got it during the Steam Sale.

My first character was a Nord (of course) who specialized in hitting things hard with a two handed Flawless Skyforge Steel sword of frost.  I tried to be a good guy--I really did--but wound up a bit of a cannibal while pursuing the Oblivion Walker achievement.  But no problem!  I can make good by assassinating everyone who knows my secret, and use Eola to get the ebony mail, that'll make up for killing Verulus, right?  Right?

So, overcome with guilt, I restarted.  This time, I had chose an Altmer named Drogo (since I made him look like Kal Drogo).  I have decided that he will be a bit of a bastard, specializing in magic, stealth, assassination, and thievery (last time, I destroyed the Dark Brotherhood).  I am looking forward to killing as many NPC's as possible.  I am probably going to start with Sven, once I have leveled a bit.  I will say it was strange walking to Windhelm and not being able to stop off to visit the girls in Breezehome.  I am also kind of avoiding Sofia.  It feels awkward since I can't adopt her.

I'd suggest getting a mod that lets you deactivate protection for vital characters without flat-disabling it all the time, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time with the console.

Yes, I'm still on that kick about how the "Thieve's" Guild cut-rate mafiosos all need to die terrible deaths.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11591 on: November 21, 2014, 03:26:36 pm »

I believe there is a knockout mod out there, where you can set ALL named NPCs as uhh... 'preferred' or something.  So, when they get whomped, they will only be knocked out(you can set it for however long) and they can only die when you finish them yourself.  Unnamed redshirts still die like normal.

It might have more options, but I might be thinking of some other mod I used with it.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11592 on: November 21, 2014, 06:05:39 pm »

Oh, that's nice, hadn't heard of that one.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11593 on: November 21, 2014, 08:28:13 pm »

I was thinking that Skyrim could do with more excess population. It makes it a bit difficult as a werewolf when every place you attack will probably include someone related to a quest.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #11594 on: November 21, 2014, 08:34:57 pm »

I don't like the whole "essential" NPCs mechanic at all. Morrowind handled it better, I feel - the game would let you kill everyone but warned you when a quest NPC was killed.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 896