Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1559283 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12045 on: April 23, 2015, 03:53:03 pm »

For future reference, the the price of Vendayn's dignity and making him rationalize stuff is the low, low price of $94.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12046 on: April 23, 2015, 03:55:16 pm »

Yeah, see, the thing about that is that wet and cold is pretty damn popular.

The reason I don't have a patreon is because the only modder that I know of who makes any money off of it ($894 per mod) is a Cities: Skylines modder who used to work for Maxis, so I figure that there would be no revenue involved.

Plus, I'd feel dirty asking for money to make mods.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12047 on: April 23, 2015, 03:56:29 pm »

Yeah, see, the thing about that is that wet and cold is pretty damn popular.

The reason I don't have a patreon is because the only modder that I know of who makes any money off of it ($894 per mod) is a Cities: Skylines modder who used to work for Maxis, so I figure that there would be no revenue involved.

Plus, I'd feel dirty asking for money to make mods.

Lol, if DF started randomly charging for mods I would leave the internet.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12048 on: April 23, 2015, 04:14:25 pm »

Well if this doesn't fracture the community, I don't know what will.

Guess I'd better pack my bags just in case. If anything, it's going end up like some of the artists on the net I once loved. Excellent art. Now anything new is behind a paywall and the artists have dropped off my radar. *sigh* This might just kill modding for me, or for anyone else who uses a lot of mods. You can't expect me to shell out hundreds of euros for mods. I almost always rework and redownload my list of mods for every playthrough.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12049 on: April 23, 2015, 04:17:45 pm »

Scoopbeard made a thread about mod monetization, so we should probably merge the discussions there, rather than having two at the same time.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12050 on: April 23, 2015, 04:35:39 pm »

yis.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12051 on: April 23, 2015, 04:35:49 pm »

All I'm gonna say is this:
It shouldn't be a Pay What The Modder Wants. It should be an ACTUAL Pay What You Want.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12052 on: April 23, 2015, 04:38:35 pm »

Wondering how this will work since most of the good mods are hosted NOT on steam.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12053 on: April 23, 2015, 04:45:56 pm »

Heh.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12054 on: April 23, 2015, 04:49:07 pm »

Wondering how this will work since most of the good mods are hosted NOT on steam.
Yet.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12055 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »

I think it's cool that modders may be getting a bit back for their hard work. They have always been the most amazingly dedicated people in the industry, IMO, as they do their work often without any compensation at all despite some cases where they make a game worth playing, or even sell the game to people if their mod is amazing enough. If you've ever seen total conversions for some other game it's nuts what people can pull off just with a few modding tools and some time.

Ok, I think it's about time I actually got around to playing this (I got it on release but lost interest quickly because it wasn't M&B, which was pretty unfair).
I know there's a mod list on the front page but I wanted to hear your guy's opinion: is the mod list the OP posted still up to date? Ar ethere any mods you would add/subtract? I basically want a semi vanilla playthrough, only with enhancements/fixes. So basically: no custom races, custom armageddon spells, or replacing dragons with Randy Savage. Things like making horses move a bit quicker or changing weapon models to be more reasonable/believable would be acceptable.
Mainly I want something that will, for certain, remove the way the mouse handles like trying to drag it through mud on menu screens (which is caused by vertical sync if I remember right) and so that it doesn't run at 500 FPS (I had overheating issues because turning vsync off uncapped the framerate so the graphics card would work way harder than it had to). I remember getting a mod that makes the UI a lot better (I think SkuUI?) but I don't know if that is still the definitive UI mod to have or not.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12056 on: April 23, 2015, 05:03:41 pm »

I think they deserve money for it, bigtime. They're the best part of the industry. But it still should be a Pay If You Wanna system.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12057 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18:01 pm »

I think they deserve money for it, bigtime. They're the best part of the industry. But it still should be a Pay If You Wanna system.
We already had a pay if you wanna system. Its called donations.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12058 on: April 23, 2015, 05:18:59 pm »

EXACTLY
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12059 on: April 23, 2015, 06:33:16 pm »

So, first.

The funds are not...NOT...steam wallet. So the money goes straight to your bank account
You need a W-9 tax information for steam
Bank account information

I'll be doing all of that tomorrow since its going into my dads name

Now as far as things go.

Supposedly modders are already making bank on it. From my understanding, the wet and cold author has made over 300 dollars. In comparison, he said he barely makes 50 dollars in a month with his mod based on donation and that is only if he gets lucky one month. But, one of the cheaper weapons that got put up as paid has already made the author 30-40 dollars. But, I dunno...it could be all bullshit.

Now is that true? 300 dollars is a lot. I have doubts about that, since he tends to exaggerate on facebook. But, then again...with all the press...people putting paid mods up early (within a few days before news dies down)...may indeed be seeing a big increase in payments due to all the press and forum posts.

Is it bad for modding? Probably.
Good for piracy? Definitely

But...it could make people bring out higher quality mods.
Definitely more stolen mods

Will steam back pedal on this? And undo the change? I don't know. It would have to be soon or never, as more and more mods get put up as paid.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 896