Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550078 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #12150 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:06 pm »

Paid lore when?

did you watch the video dude

it's now

besides that CHIM=mods so you can already pay for lore

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12152 on: April 27, 2015, 07:23:20 pm »

WOOOO!
FREEDOM WINS :D
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: April 27, 2015, 07:27:47 pm »

The modders that were using the system must feel like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern right now. Not that I care, RIP in piss paid workshop.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: April 27, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »

Agreed, rip in pizzas.

At least they removed it within days of launch, as opposed to blindly trucking ahead despite the backlash. That's an impressive turnaround for a games publisher, and I think they deserve credit for that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: April 27, 2015, 07:48:10 pm »

Agreed, rip in pizzas.

At least they removed it within days of launch, as opposed to blindly trucking ahead despite the backlash. That's an impressive turnaround for a games publisher, and I think they deserve credit for that.

I'll roughly repeat what I said in response to the announcement:

No. Do not praise them. This is how things are supposed to operate: when a company tries to bend you over a table, scream and shout and struggle until they release you. Once they have, don't turn around and apologize for fighting back while telling them how grateful you are that they let you go! Look the fuckers in the eyes and make sure they know that they can't pull things like that. The fact that they responded to massive negative backlash does not make them 'good', it makes them 'rational and reasonably intelligent', or as we gamers like to describe it, 'not EA'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12156 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:19 pm »

Agreed, rip in pizzas.

Yeah, as FD said, they shouldn't get credit for fixing a fuckup, just a 'okay, you fixed it. Now don't do it again'.
This is assuming we're treating game companies like 3 year-olds, which I think is a reasonable policy to follow.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12157 on: April 27, 2015, 07:59:43 pm »

Agreed, rip in pizzas.

No. Do not praise them. This is how things are supposed to operate: when a company tries to bend you over a table, scream and shout and struggle until they release you. Once they have, don't turn around and apologize for fighting back while telling them how grateful you are that they let you go! Look the fuckers in the eyes and make sure they know that they can't pull things like that. The fact that they responded to massive negative backlash does not make them 'good', it makes them 'rational and reasonably intelligent', or as we gamers like to describe it, 'not EA'.

Look at all that hyperbole.

All I said was that it was impressive that they, you know, listened to feedback, something that a majority of companies (not just game developers and publishers) fail to do on a regular basis. I'm not apologizing for anything or thanking them for anything.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: April 27, 2015, 08:01:11 pm »

Agreed, rip in pizzas.

Look at all that hyperbole.

All I said was that it was impressive that they, you know, listened to feedback, something that a majority of companies (not just game developers and publishers) fail to do on a regular basis. I'm not apologizing for anything or thanking them for anything.
I do admit that's impressive by today's standards of listening to feedback, though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12159 on: April 27, 2015, 08:02:09 pm »

Yeah, as FD said, they shouldn't get credit for fixing a fuckup, just a 'okay, you fixed it. Now don't do it again'.
This is assuming we're treating game companies like 3 year-olds, which I think is a reasonable policy to follow.

I see Valve is behaving much better after their nap.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: April 27, 2015, 08:05:02 pm »

That's the most direct "Sorry - Yes, we were wrong" announcement I think I've ever seen from an organization of this stature.  I think they deserve credit for that.  The only contradiction they threw in was "We still think there's a useful feature in here somewhere," but that's pretty weak.

I've been an unashamed Valve fan-boy for many years now, and I was genuinely re-thinking my perspective on them after this.  But I think they've recovered some grace here.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:06:59 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: April 27, 2015, 08:20:51 pm »

I just want to take a moment to laugh sadistically at the modders who signed on to the program. They got thrown under the bus in every way but the literal one and it amuses me greatly. They were shafted at the start, shafted throughout the short lifespan, and shafted at the end.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: April 27, 2015, 08:22:47 pm »

I'd like to call your attention to this bit.

".....stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here."

They intend to try again. Be watchful, they're going to start slower next time. They're not interested in donations to the modders, they're interested in making profit off of mods.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12163 on: April 27, 2015, 08:27:33 pm »

If you've read Valve's principles on monetizing content, then you'd know they think that what they have going with TF2 and Dota2 is a great thing (and nobody is complaining about it loudly enough for them to notice), and that they have wanted to expand it to other games for some time now.

The problem is that it's completely inapplicable to games like Skyrim, where mods tend to be considerably more in-depth than simple items, and even items have to be designed to fit in a levelling tier somewhere. Selling player-designed items and the like would be most effective when there are either no levels and all items are balanced-ish (like in TF2), or when they're cosmetic items which don't take the place of an item which would actually be useful - none of which is the case in Skyrim. (And Valve was apparently not even doing the most basic of quality control on submitted Skyrim paid mods)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:30:21 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: April 27, 2015, 08:39:09 pm »

Valve does listen to people, though. That's why I quite like Valve.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 896