Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many people (other than me) are still reading?

Well, I am...
Fine, you can choose this option.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dawnstone: A Fortress Defense Community Fort  (Read 8231 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Dawnstone: A Fortress Defense Community Fort
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »

Original Post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dawnstone is a community surface fort, my first community fort. Dawnstone I, my first attempt, ended badly. It used a modified version of the Monster Hunter Universe mod, and I am playing as felynes. Somewhat claustrophobic felynes. They have, because of a cryptic warning from their deceased expedition leader, forsaken the depths and chosen to build a fort entirely on the surface. They died anyways.

History of Dawnstone I
Felynes of Dawnstones I:

Dawnstone II, or Dawnstone as its inhabitants call it, uses the Fortress Defense mod and my modded version of DF. Similarly to the felynes of Dawnstone I, they follow the warning of their leader and choose to avoid the depths. May they fare better.

Spoiler: Brief Version (click to show/hide)

Dwarves:

Artifacts:
Spoiler: 0 Artifacts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:28:50 am by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: What Community Fort should I make?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:34:51 pm »

I haven't seen a surface community before so a surface fort any mod(vanilla would be easiest for surface fort) would be cool. Even though the key to a good comunity fort is story, especially when you reach THAT point in a fort when you have enought food to last several dwarven lifetimes.
-edit fort was capitalized for some reason.
-edit edit some interesting mods
Monster hunter universe-You can play as Kittehs!
Hydra/Phoenix Rising could use some publicity
Dead Space Mod
If you need links I can get them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 07:37:56 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 07:37:43 pm »

I'll work on the story, don't you worry.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:10:15 am »

Does no one else have ideas, or is it just that no one else has read this?
Sig

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 06:12:56 am »

Live like a human! Just make everything aboveground and only have the mine go belowground. Also maybe mod it so that you can play like a human. :)

also can i get dorfed (humaned?)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 06:25:14 am »

Fortress of Pain.  Here's my idea.

Claim a dwarf for yourself, with a nice villainous title/nickname.  He is the most important one, he is you. 

In Headshoots style, separate your dorf, the military, and all named and important ( presumably legendary ) dwarves in one part of the fort, completely isolated, and incapable of making contact with the less important dwarves.

It is up to you to decide how to torture the less important dwarves.  Lock one in his bedroom with a few badgers?  Do that if you wish.  Goblins try to siege?  Capture them, drop them down a pit filled with wild animals, or whatever you want.  Sky's the limit, use as much sadism as possible.  Nothing will die a quick death. 

If there's a tantrum, which I hope there will be, let it sort itself out, and keep your important dwarves safe and secure in the isolated, self-sufficient part of the fort.

BONUS POINTS: Have the less important dwarves toil and suffer on the surface, the important dwarves happily living underground. 

REMINDER: Nobles are VERY unimportant. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 06:35:55 am »

Or a mix: create an awesome huge castle for the important ones which isolate them then use the unimportant ones to do all the work (send them down in the mines(no security of any sort) go around and chop wood anything the unimportant shouldn't do) have them send the stuff in somehow yet not coming in contact and let everything go like it would and only care about those inside the castle.

You might have to crate a mine inside the castle after some time.   

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:37:13 am »

Your idea doesn't involve torture. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 06:44:55 am »

What if we embark on a terrifying spot and have them not get any food no beds no booze nothing apart from a pick and what they need of tools. (btw gig now so no more replies from me)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 06:46:25 am »

That's still torture, it's slightly sadistic, but barely scratching the surface.  I'm talking about entire rooms and chambers designed for sheer dwarven pain and suffering. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

sayaks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 07:03:14 am »

Ok so everything i previously plus that the workshops are floodable with lava and several spikes in the corridors, plus large floodable meeting areas with refuse stockpiles and all sorts of machines and no block from the caverns.(i could answer because it didn't take long what i was doing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:05:06 am by sayaks »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 07:08:23 am »

Also, easily releasable cage traps filled with dangerous animals, but animals that won't kill immediately ( like badgers, maybe some monkeys ).

Really, the sky is the limit.  The point of this fort is to find new and innovative ways to mutilate and permanently scar dwarves.  There are many methods of science available to us, let's use them. 

So do you support this? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 12:07:35 pm »

Hell, that as my recent idea - make a fort of unhappy dwarves!!!
Everything you do should serve the purpose of keeping dwarves unhappy and barely alive. For survival reason we can make a self-sufficient vault for one or two happy dwarves, so the fort won't crumble to end.

So, main goals are:
- Massive socializing. Friends with everyone! Especially those who are the most dangerous
- Regular switching from cave dwellers to surface, so cave adaptation scores it's hit.
- Children are wandering outside and are subjected to ambushes and snatchers
- Ghosts. Never bury deads - at least before they rot to skeletons.
- Miasma. Refuse stockpiles at meeting halls. Caged zombies.
- Regular switching from "cats is best dwarf's friend" to "no cat's allowed'. So tantrums and swarms of vermins.
- Booze and bedrooms for nobles only! And for guards.
- No jail, or small jail with cages.

Just think of it - a lot of macabre moods!

No, they are very important. The have demands, and dwarves are to be punished for not fulfilling them!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 12:11:10 pm by peregarrett »
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »

"Shopping Mall" is an idea I have been toying with for my own fortress that I think would be fun as a community.  Basic idea:

We are setting up a tourist spot.  Each starting dwarf must have a skill as max as possible that makes something for trade.  As soon as possible, each "Master" dwarf must get a trade depot and then create a determined number of items (after which they can build a little "shop" for themselves.  Which ever trade depot the caravan goes to determines what kind of goods can be traded.  IE, if they go to the mason shop, the mason gets to trade and therefor gets to make more stuff, which means he will gain more skill. It would be a little race to see which becomes the Lengendary first.  Obviously, artifacts might ruin the race... might actually consider truning them off.  Also, determining Militia and defense is up to you.  I was thinking of no enemies just so I could focus on the race. 

Also, there may have to be a little support network:  IE, the Mason needs stone so either they have to have a pick, or have a miner as an apprentice.  Similar, you could have 1 shop be "McDwarfnalds" with a chef, but they would eventually need a food supply.  In some cases, you could do things like: Fisherman can only have x barrels of fish.  If Chef uses one then he can go fishing again.  Similar with Herbalist/Growers/millers/etc.

I have also thought about a mini fort that is "Restraunt row".  Basically you have food suppliers and chefs (plus army).  Chefs may specialize (fish + flour only - selling "Fish Sandwiches" verses the guy down the street with his "Mushrooms in berry sauce") or just allow them all to have access to all.

Random thoughts, feel free to use here (as I won't be doing community, just running one for myself).

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 03:49:59 pm »

Fortress of Pain.  Here's my idea.

Claim a dwarf for yourself, with a nice villainous title/nickname.  He is the most important one, he is you. 

In Headshoots style, separate your dorf, the military, and all named and important ( presumably legendary ) dwarves in one part of the fort, completely isolated, and incapable of making contact with the less important dwarves.

It is up to you to decide how to torture the less important dwarves.  Lock one in his bedroom with a few badgers?  Do that if you wish.  Goblins try to siege?  Capture them, drop them down a pit filled with wild animals, or whatever you want.  Sky's the limit, use as much sadism as possible.  Nothing will die a quick death. 

If there's a tantrum, which I hope there will be, let it sort itself out, and keep your important dwarves safe and secure in the isolated, self-sufficient part of the fort.

BONUS POINTS: Have the less important dwarves toil and suffer on the surface, the important dwarves happily living underground. 

I thought headshoots divisions were situational though.....
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5