Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596268 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #240 on: January 04, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »

You might want to add orcs and maybe halflings to that list in the future :D
Golden Horde orcs and imperialistic slaver halflings. That's what T4 did :P

If you're not going to just procedurally generate all that sort of thing, anyway. Which'd probably be more interesting, as you could actually get those two, and plenty more aside. Race being about biology instead of psychology/social organization, perhaps.

It'd be hilarious to have a playthrough with the elves being the underground master smiths :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »

I like that. You also should be able to train your son/daughter so you can start off with some skills when you control your son/daughter.

What happens if you got more than one child? I guess you should be able to choose whoever you want. Also, a cooperation/rivalry between your brothers and sisters could be fun. Maybe your power-hungry brother decides to get a huge army together and you have to fight him or your enemy kidnaps your sister or something. You can actually create a movie with that kind of dynasty mechanism.

Currently, human/dwarf/elf.

I guess that's about right - choose which you want to control. For that matter, you might be able to designate a successor anyway, even if they aren't the player's descendants. Hmm. I'll think more about this one, but I love the dynasty idea - lots of interesting things for power struggles, civil wars, etc could come out of that...

I might, I might! I'm not yet sure if various 'intelligent' monster races will be playable or not...

Golden Horde orcs and imperialistic slaver halflings. That's what T4 did :P

If you're not going to just procedurally generate all that sort of thing, anyway. Which'd probably be more interesting, as you could actually get those two, and plenty more aside. Race being about biology instead of psychology/social organization, perhaps.

It'd be hilarious to have a playthrough with the elves being the underground master smiths :P

Haha - that would be... very strange. While I will procedurally generate the rising and falling of individuals within a certain species, the species as a whole are going to be relatively set in stone. With that said, all will have some unusual outliers - you'll get the very rare elf who dislikes the woods, the rare dwarf who dislikes the underground, and so on!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2012, 10:49:04 pm »

I guess that's about right - choose which you want to control. For that matter, you might be able to designate a successor anyway, even if they aren't the player's descendants. Hmm. I'll think more about this one, but I love the dynasty idea - lots of interesting things for power struggles, civil wars, etc could come out of that...

Maybe by giving bonus to the successor's influence among your generals depending on various factors? Eg: being your offspring would be a bonus (dynasty and all that). Being a competent commander would be a bonus, etc.... Being officially designated would be a large bonus. So normally, if you designate as successor someone who stands out of your various liutenaunts (offspring, competent, whatnot), it stays at that. But if there are several mighty candidates, it might be enough evened out so that the others revolt?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2012, 01:05:20 pm »

Your first character's background is important too. Like in Mount&Blade, if your father is a thief, farmer, smith or someone else without renown, you are a nobody. If your father is a noble, you have a slightly higher renown.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2012, 05:48:46 pm »

Maybe by giving bonus to the successor's influence among your generals depending on various factors? Eg: being your offspring would be a bonus (dynasty and all that). Being a competent commander would be a bonus, etc.... Being officially designated would be a large bonus. So normally, if you designate as successor someone who stands out of your various liutenaunts (offspring, competent, whatnot), it stays at that. But if there are several mighty candidates, it might be enough evened out so that the others revolt?

That sounds really good, actually. If there is one lead candidate (be it the player, or not!) then that person gains control with ease. If your designated successor is that character, great; but if not, you might have to fight for it. Similarly, if your successor character is by far the strongest, things will be easy, but if the top people in your civilization/army are all of roughly equal influence/experience/etc, that'll generate a struggle!

Your first character's background is important too. Like in Mount&Blade, if your father is a thief, farmer, smith or someone else without renown, you are a nobody. If your father is a noble, you have a slightly higher renown.

Agreed; I'm not sure how skills and other attributes will 'pass down' to your offspring/chosen successor yet, so I'll have to think about that one...

Also, URR now has a delicious sidebar! This week's devblog entry discusses this, the UI, and the direction I'm moving in in terms of ease of use, the UI, and getting efficiently around the map. What does everyone think of the sidebar, and the UI in general? :)

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/01/09/sidebars-and-scrolling/

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2012, 06:20:41 pm »

Also, URR now has a delicious sidebar! This week's devblog entry discusses this, the UI, and the direction I'm moving in in terms of ease of use, the UI, and getting efficiently around the map. What does everyone think of the sidebar, and the UI in general? :)

I like it! I think it deals with the ever-present problem that roguelikes have of not being able to see landmarks far ahead of you rather well.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2012, 07:07:12 pm »

Looks pretty snazzy!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2012, 08:08:40 pm »

Also, regarding menus and such, is your character going to have a status screen? Like, something that tells you when you've gotten your arm lopped off or your lower body cut open?
It would be really nice for there to be a quick, easily understandable sidebar that tells you how YOU are doing at the moment (since you're the star of the show and all...).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2012, 09:59:48 pm »

Re: Sidebar: Does that mean we cap out at a max of 15985 critters on our side of the fight?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2012, 06:28:08 am »

I like it! I think it deals with the ever-present problem that roguelikes have of not being able to see landmarks far ahead of you rather well.

Cool :) - areas a distance away from you will be a '?' and unexplored, but you start the game aware of all the territory your civilization has, and some territory from surrounding ones, too. Either way, it could likely be a while in the average play until you reach unexplored lands (though you can always see one map grid ahead of you when you do, except when going over mountains).

Looks pretty snazzy!

Excellent - thanks!

Also, regarding menus and such, is your character going to have a status screen? Like, something that tells you when you've gotten your arm lopped off or your lower body cut open?
It would be really nice for there to be a quick, easily understandable sidebar that tells you how YOU are doing at the moment (since you're the star of the show and all...).

There is a status screen. I tried to have a sidebar for exactly that, but it quickly become much too crowded and much too difficult to keep track of. The status screen takes a keypress to bring up, and gives you far, far more information about your wellbeing (or impending death) than the trial sidebars could.

Re: Sidebar: Does that mean we cap out at a max of 15985 critters on our side of the fight?

Ha - I... suppose it does. If anyone reaches that number, I will eat my hat.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2012, 06:50:06 am »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 10, 2012, 07:07:01 am »

First of all, do you have one?
And secondly; Where do you think you are? This is Bay12forums where people does unreasonable things on a basis :P

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #252 on: January 10, 2012, 07:12:48 pm »

It's on!

First of all, do you have one?
And secondly; Where do you think you are? This is Bay12forums where people does unreasonable things on a basis :P

I do indeed; it even has ear flap things. And that is a good point, actually...

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2012, 01:06:56 pm »

Just a quick update to say - worldgen *might* just be finished by the end of today! Putting in the final touches to rivers properly now...

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:36 pm »

I'd be really interested in seeing what you've got so far.  :) I've just finished up with a good portion of the core mechanics of my own worldgen for Cult (though a lot more will necessarily be added as the game engine develops), and I'm curious to see what yours looks like. At any rate, the game is looking awesome so far. Keep up the good work!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 221