Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596302 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2012, 06:14:25 pm »

I'd be really interested in seeing what you've got so far.  :) I've just finished up with a good portion of the core mechanics of my own worldgen for Cult (though a lot more will necessarily be added as the game engine develops), and I'm curious to see what yours looks like. At any rate, the game is looking awesome so far. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Just looking at Cult - very cool. At the moment there's a bunch of screenshots on my devblog, and I'll probably be uploading some more in the near future. Still just finishing off rivers at the moment, then it's onto early wild creatures for me, I think...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 06:24:20 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2012, 07:29:14 pm »

dammit, I want it now!
no sleep! you work! you work!

Haha; it'll now be tomorrow, but I'm no more than 30 minutes from finishing off rivers, and then there's just a bunch of little things to clear up. I need to actually get a good night's sleep for the first time in ages...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2012, 09:31:05 am »

dammit, I want it now!
no sleep! you work! you work!

Haha; it'll now be tomorrow, but I'm no more than 30 minutes from finishing off rivers, and then there's just a bunch of little things to clear up. I need to actually get a good night's sleep for the first time in ages...

Sleep is important. I just slept for 14 hours and I hardly got my ass out of my room. I still feel sleepy. I didn't know I was this sleep deprived. That's what I get for getting up around 7:00 AM every day including weekends.

So, need for sleeping is going to get included in the game? :D

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2012, 04:28:57 pm »

Sleep is important. I just slept for 14 hours and I hardly got my ass out of my room. I still feel sleepy. I didn't know I was this sleep deprived. That's what I get for getting up around 7:00 AM every day including weekends.

I used to sleep for nearly that long most nights, but these days I force myself onto about 8 hours; it's the only way I can actually get anything DONE! And yes, it will indeed; longer you go without sleep, the poorer your abilities will become. Same goes for other creatures; in the near future (probably before first release) a day/night cycle and nocturnal/diurnal creatures should appear...

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2012, 07:31:01 pm »

This looks like a game of epic proportions! Really wanting to get my hands on it allready ! and any ideas when you will be releasing code for us to play with? :D

Also any political things going on ? Can you run/own a kingdom and stuff and own property or land or something ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »

Also any political things going on ? Can you run/own a kingdom and stuff and own property or land or something ?

Yes. discussed 3-2 pages back.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2012, 07:11:59 am »

This looks like a game of epic proportions! Really wanting to get my hands on it allready ! and any ideas when you will be releasing code for us to play with? :D

Thanks :)! It's going to take a while, but I think it should be before too long. I'm afraid, however, I'm not planning to release the code, and I'm keeping it closed-source (at least for the foreseeable future). I'm always eager to take suggestions for weapons/items/monsters/ideas/etc and have already added quite a few people suggested, but the source itself I plan to keep closed.

And yep - not so much owning a property, or land, but you'll be able to rise up the military hierarchy of civilizations, and potentially rule the civilization itself (though this is still in the brainstorming stage atm) - you also might have 'control' of land from a territory point-of-view, not from a private ownership point of view. I think. We'll see!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2012, 08:36:57 am »

I used to sleep for nearly that long most nights, but these days I force myself onto about 8 hours; it's the only way I can actually get anything DONE! And yes, it will indeed; longer you go without sleep, the poorer your abilities will become. Same goes for other creatures; in the near future (probably before first release) a day/night cycle and nocturnal/diurnal creatures should appear...

I sleep for 4 hours mostly. If I get a chance to sleep until noon I take it happily. :D

I guess, if we and our allies need to sleep, we can ambush an enemy camp at night or be ambushed by enemies at night.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 15, 2012, 01:00:37 pm »

Hey sounds good :) really looking forward to this :) High expectations which you can easily achieve :)

And when I said code to play with I meant a alpha which was playable hehe :P
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #264 on: January 15, 2012, 08:09:10 pm »

I sleep for 4 hours mostly. If I get a chance to sleep until noon I take it happily. :D

I guess, if we and our allies need to sleep, we can ambush an enemy camp at night or be ambushed by enemies at night.

4? Impressive (and scary!). Yep, I think you'll definitely be able to get your forces up at night for an ambush (though, of course, so will your foes). The day/night cycle is something I hope to add in before too long, actually, so maybe even within the next few weeks...

Hey sounds good :) really looking forward to this :) High expectations which you can easily achieve :)

And when I said code to play with I meant a alpha which was playable hehe :P

Why thank you :) - when I consider my utter lack of programming knowledge six months ago and compare it to the current state of the game, it amazes me it's got this far. But there aren't any particularly dreadful issues on the horzion, so I don't foresee stopping/stalling in the near future :P. Ah, splendid! Looking at the middle of this year, I think, but it depends on various things - academic workload, how long some major things take to program, mundane stuff like save files, turning it into an .exe, etc, but I think the middle of this year is about right. Maybe earlier (hopefully!) but I'm covering myself for now by saying just before the middle!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:11:27 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2012, 10:37:53 pm »

Middle of the year! That's like... 6 months! Or 24 weeks! Or 180 days! Or 4320 hours! Or 259,200 minutes! Or 15,552,000 seconds!

I can totally wait that many seconds for a working Alpha.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2012, 08:26:07 am »

Middle of the year! That's like... 6 months! Or 24 weeks! Or 180 days! Or 4320 hours! Or 259,200 minutes! Or 15,552,000 seconds!

I can wait patiently for an epic game like this :D

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 16, 2012, 08:48:29 am »

Tick tick tick, we're waiting....
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

PokemonRocks85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 16, 2012, 08:51:34 am »

This game is going to be succesful just like dwarf fortress. Remember when making games you need ideas and when you get ideas use them. Because you will never find the same idea unless you retrace your steps Ultima you sir has the title of armok slave. thats pretty good next rank will be armok minion your getting there.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #269 on: January 16, 2012, 06:07:40 pm »

This is good to know :) - though the presence of a countdown, however hypothetical, is oddly terrifying...

I can wait patiently for an epic game like this :D

Cheers! Hopefully the first alpha will actually have some substance to it, which is why I've moved the release back a little bit - I'd simply like there to be a bit more to do!

Tick tick tick, we're waiting....

Argh the pressure

This game is going to be succesful just like dwarf fortress. Remember when making games you need ideas and when you get ideas use them. Because you will never find the same idea unless you retrace your steps Ultima you sir has the title of armok slave. thats pretty good next rank will be armok minion your getting there.

Well, thanks :). Keeping a huge list of ideas and suggestions for just this reason...

New devblog appearing shortly, with screenshots and other such goodies.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 221