Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598302 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' in the making...
« Reply #585 on: May 11, 2012, 05:48:56 am »

Hm...if you are gonna implement spies ( for which I will love you and this game even more than I already do ) how will it work?  Will there be conversations between NPCs, that you can stand next to, and listen? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 12, 2012, 10:49:22 am »

Will we be able to make a larger or smaller world? I haven't seen anything about worldgen preferences in the thread or blog.

It'd be pretty cool if clothing had colours, so that you A: can tell your troops apart from the enemy, and get a decent overview of the battle situation, and B: could wear your very best black night stealthing kit, only to show up starkly against the marble floors of the local keep, instead of somehow still being crazy invisible.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #587 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:27 am »

Hm...if you are gonna implement spies ( for which I will love you and this game even more than I already do ) how will it work?  Will there be conversations between NPCs, that you can stand next to, and listen?

I'm not sure how conversations between others are going to work yet. I think I may try and find some way to make it clear when people are conversing, or, have conversations around you show up on the messages window. I'm far from sure how this is going to work yet, though, since I need conversations to be visible/watchable, but not to take up extra space on screen or be really aggravating.

Will we be able to make a larger or smaller world? I haven't seen anything about worldgen preferences in the thread or blog.

It'd be pretty cool if clothing had colours, so that you A: can tell your troops apart from the enemy, and get a decent overview of the battle situation, and B: could wear your very best black night stealthing kit, only to show up starkly against the marble floors of the local keep, instead of somehow still being crazy invisible.

Huh. I thought I'd actually already put up a blog entry about that. That might, therefore, be next week's blog entry, but there are quite a few world generation options (though world size isn't one of them!). For telling troops apart, it's tricky, since I need to a) have 'h' characters (i.e. humans) distinguishable by weapon, unit type, etc, but also have them according to what army they are in, and you can't show both in colour. I intend for the default to be army colour, and in the army view screen it will highlight units of different types, and there may also be an alternative viewing system to show you unit types too. As for clothing colour, that's an interesting idea, and I like it. I may just implement it!

Also, I've now decided to upload a development plan. Let me know what you think, especially in terms of things I intend to put in the first alpha and you think are maybe non-essential, and vice versa: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/05/14/a-cunning-plan/

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #588 on: May 14, 2012, 10:28:25 pm »

Kind of just hit me now, but someone mentioned elephants that they'd ride and you did not dispute it, so besides taming mounts, with enough skill will we be able to tame other things as well? I'd like to tame a wolf. OR BETTER YET. If we could kill parents and take the eggs/baby animals from their parents and they would love us forever! This also coincides my idea with time being able to wait for a year or so and also some sort of house or area to leave them in care. Yes love me forever, I want a panther army. *Sorry if it hasn't been mentioned but I would like it to be clear personally.*

Also, considering we will be able to order military around, could we also devise default pre-battle plans? So they wont appear randomly about us. Maybe just general stuff. Like where I want melee/ranged/other to be.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 15, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »

I don't think weapon kill sheets is really necessary, honestly. Kill tracking can wait, can't it?

PS. Nothing has  square brackets. That's depressing.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 15, 2012, 08:31:32 pm »

Huh. I thought I'd actually already put up a blog entry about that. That might, therefore, be next week's blog entry, but there are quite a few world generation options (though world size isn't one of them!). For telling troops apart, it's tricky, since I need to a) have 'h' characters (i.e. humans) distinguishable by weapon, unit type, etc, but also have them according to what army they are in, and you can't show both in colour. I intend for the default to be army colour, and in the army view screen it will highlight units of different types, and there may also be an alternative viewing system to show you unit types too. As for clothing colour, that's an interesting idea, and I like it. I may just implement it!

Also, I've now decided to upload a development plan. Let me know what you think, especially in terms of things I intend to put in the first alpha and you think are maybe non-essential, and vice versa: http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/05/14/a-cunning-plan/

Bravo, good sir! I like the presence of non-combat-y stuff in the first two versions. Now if I can die of sepsis before 0.05 and cholera before 0.10 I'll be in heaven!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #591 on: May 16, 2012, 05:31:12 am »

Kind of just hit me now, but someone mentioned elephants that they'd ride and you did not dispute it, so besides taming mounts, with enough skill will we be able to tame other things as well? I'd like to tame a wolf. OR BETTER YET. If we could kill parents and take the eggs/baby animals from their parents and they would love us forever! This also coincides my idea with time being able to wait for a year or so and also some sort of house or area to leave them in care. Yes love me forever, I want a panther army. *Sorry if it hasn't been mentioned but I would like it to be clear personally.*

Also, considering we will be able to order military around, could we also devise default pre-battle plans? So they wont appear randomly about us. Maybe just general stuff. Like where I want melee/ranged/other to be.

I'm not sure about taming - I'm currently intending to add just horses and elephants in one of the early alphas. I had considered letting you handle larger and more deadly creatures; while I do intend to allow you to, say, chain a Dragon then try and release it in front of an enemy city, I'm not sure about taming. And, I'm afraid, URR is (for now) a panther-free world :(

Yes, absolutely re: battle plans. I have a draft screen drawn up for exactly that. If your army is marching on the world map and you enter the actual map for combat, depending on various factors you'll get more/less time to arrange your units before battle.

I don't think weapon kill sheets is really necessary, honestly. Kill tracking can wait, can't it?

Agreed re: kill sheets. They're a factor for weapons being 'promoted' to noted/famed/legendary etc, but that can wait. Ah, yes, that's true about the square brackets, but the development page is explicitly a list of what I haven't yet done. If you saw the master list, about 95% of what I wanted for the first alpha is done!

Bravo, good sir! I like the presence of non-combat-y stuff in the first two versions. Now if I can die of sepsis before 0.05 and cholera before 0.10 I'll be in heaven!

Thanks! I'm trying to stress the focus of the first few alphas is on the world and the UI, given how few of the actual game mechanics are in a finalized form yet. As for diseases and plagues... hmmm... they may be some way after 0.5, I'm afraid :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:34:09 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 16, 2012, 07:13:24 am »

I'm not sure about taming - I'm currently intending to add just horses and elephants in one of the early alphas. I had considered letting you handle larger and more deadly creatures; while I do intend to allow you to, say, chain a Dragon then try and release it in front of an enemy city, I'm not sure about taming. And, I'm afraid, URR is (for now) a panther-free world :(

Yes, absolutely re: battle plans. I have a draft screen drawn up for exactly that. If your army is marching on the world map and you enter the actual map for combat, depending on various factors you'll get more/less time to arrange your units before battle.

Agreed re: kill sheets. They're a factor for weapons being 'promoted' to noted/famed/legendary etc, but that can wait. Ah, yes, that's true about the square brackets, but the development page is explicitly a list of what I haven't yet done. If you saw the master list, about 95% of what I wanted for the first alpha is done!

Thanks! I'm trying to stress the focus of the first few alphas is on the world and the UI, given how few of the actual game mechanics are in a finalized form yet. As for diseases and plagues... hmmm... they may be some way after 0.5, I'm afraid :(

This is amazing, can you just show us a video about battles?
How will it be like?
Will there be arrows getting shot from both sides?
Will you hear war cries?
Can you make your own civilization?

So many questions!

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #593 on: May 16, 2012, 01:11:41 pm »

An interesting thing Urist has over here.

While we can make camps and stuff like that, if we stay long enough and are prosperous enough, could we attract merchants and therefore eventually peasants that would start a town eventually. Probably asking too much but that would be awesome.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 17, 2012, 01:42:30 am »

While we can make camps and stuff like that, if we stay long enough and are prosperous enough, could we attract merchants and therefore eventually peasants that would start a town eventually. Probably asking too much but that would be awesome.

That sounds awesome.  How would one go about making a city, anyway?  I'd like to go Alexander the Great on the world, destroying nations, and building cities as a testament to my narcissism. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 17, 2012, 05:30:20 pm »

That sounds awesome.  How would one go about making a city, anyway?  I'd like to go Alexander the Great on the world, destroying nations, and building cities as a testament to my narcissism.
I read 'narcissism' as 'narcotics'

very important if you screwed those up. suddenly, you'd think Alexander the great was a drug cartel warlord.

He wasn't? I heard that he once teabagged a cup of liquid LSD, just for the rush, and to impress Darius III.

EDIT: Shit, wait, I meant to say something useful as well. Uh.. oh yeah... this was an idea I had after reading about blood effects, but would it be possible to quaff the relevant juices of our foes/plants/etc, for various awesome effects. I'm thinking less of healing potions than hallucinogenic and potentially magically-reality-altering enhancers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:34:48 pm by Rowanas »

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 17, 2012, 08:46:03 pm »

Making cities out of camps? That would be awesome! However, I wouldn't want to be too involved with the development of a city. This is not a city-building game after all.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 18, 2012, 02:38:46 am »

Making cities out of camps? That would be awesome! However, I wouldn't want to be too involved with the development of a city. This is not a city-building game after all.

Yeah, that would make the game too frickin complicated.  You could start a city, maybe run aspects of it, but to go on the warpath and do other stuff, you leave the city in the hands of...anyone you want really.  Like setting up governors. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 18, 2012, 04:27:03 am »

As this is not a sim city game, I assume there will be some degree of feudalism. How much effort are you going to put into feudal relations? Can we expect barons under dukes under kings etc. or just one king and dozens of mayors?

Urist McDonalds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:43 am »

Dutchling is right.
I myself would like to be a king of a kingdom!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 221