Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598386 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - a 'strategy roguelike' (v 0.1.0 finally released)
« Reply #795 on: July 12, 2012, 06:18:52 pm »

Hey, URR, you said you were in the UK. Anywhere near Exeter?

P.S. I have a couple of busy days and when I finally get some time on the forums, I find you've released!? Damnit!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #796 on: July 13, 2012, 04:38:43 am »

Hm, well I downloaded it and made a soldier character. Then a dragon came and I poked it until it died (it didn't attack), then I left the map and the game crashed when I tried to leave the current chunk (By heading east, not via "t"ravel.). No error log.

Edit: Tried again, started a warrior and got mauled by wolves.

I notice even with skill level 30 in heavy weapon aim I still kept attack their legs even though I was aiming at their heads.

Oh, this time I *did* get an error message when I pressed "J" to quit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ah, the Dragon didn't attack? Bah. Were you standing right next to it? And could it reach you? Actually, #2 must be true; Dragons are taller than you, so if you could reach it, it could reach you. Hmm. Any more detail about its failure to attack? :). That's because the skills aren't well implemented and are getting a major change for 0.2.0; and lastly, the bug you mention has been fixed!

Any plans on a forum soon? We could definitely use a place to discuss the game and such.

I've had another request or two about this, and I'll try and look into it soon. It'll definitely be around by 0.2.0, but after 0.1.3 I need to focus on my academic work for a bit while I get 0.2.0 off the ground.

Hey, URR, you said you were in the UK. Anywhere near Exeter?

P.S. I have a couple of busy days and when I finally get some time on the forums, I find you've released!? Damnit!

Haha, apologies! I'm afraid not, I'm doing my doctorate in York and I'll be staying there until the end of that :(

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 13, 2012, 04:34:03 pm »

Downloaded .2c, still cannot proceed past loading screen.  Forced to ctrl-alt-delete close the program.  Windows 7 laptop.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #798 on: July 14, 2012, 06:49:37 am »

Downloaded .2c, still cannot proceed past loading screen.  Forced to ctrl-alt-delete close the program.  Windows 7 laptop.

Do you mean loading, or saving/loading chunks? And what do you mean by cannot proceed past? If you take 3/4/5 steps after a loading it crashes, and I know that one, and I've fixed it for 0.1.3 (this coming Monday).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #799 on: July 16, 2012, 12:01:45 pm »

Finally, version 0.1.3 released; a stable build with a lot of changes and bug-fixes in to keep things moving until 0.2.0 in a couple of months!

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/2012/07/16/aftermath/

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #800 on: July 16, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »

y'know, I think you'll have to write a tribute to us B12ers somewhere in the game, given the number of ideas and bug reporting we've done :P

See the acknowledgements page! :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #801 on: July 16, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »

Volcanoes were still buggy, but FINALLY dealt with it. 0.1.3b tomorrow :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #802 on: July 17, 2012, 05:18:00 am »

0.1.3b released:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/

Right, that's the final release for a while. I'm now working on combat and skill trees for 0.2.0, as I decided a skill tree system would be much more interesting, and much more balanced. It'll also allow me to put in choices for the player to make about prioritizing some areas over others rather than being able to just train any skill. Plus the original skills list was a little... long...

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 17, 2012, 06:30:52 am »

0.1.3b released:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/downloads/

Right, that's the final release for a while. I'm now working on combat and skill trees for 0.2.0, as I decided a skill tree system would be much more interesting, and much more balanced. It'll also allow me to put in choices for the player to make about prioritizing some areas over others rather than being able to just train any skill. Plus the original skills list was a little... long...

A little? :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:50:11 am by fred1248 »
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 17, 2012, 07:56:07 am »

As long as you don't Post-Morrowind the skill list (referencing The Elder Scrolls and the baleetion of a good 50-60% of the skills between Morrowind and Skyrim [not saying their skill list didn't need some clipping!]). I definitely trust you know what you're doing though.
This game being released, even in this barest of forms, has been one of my top highlights of this month so far (seeing Roger Waters perform The Wall is the only thing right now that I can think of that I was more amped for).
Even including the bugs that you've been stomping at an awesome pace, I find myself starting up URR before I realize what's going on.  As was previously stated, I can see this quickly becoming the game.

Also, you're awesome, and you should know that.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 17, 2012, 11:23:03 am »

Finally got a chance to try it out last night. Looks great, good interface, played smooth. No crashes, but then I didn't get to do much. Mostly just walked around, picked up some random stuff (a wooden mace and an Amber? Halbard). Then got attacked by wolves.

Killed most of them, but died to the last one.

Fun! I'll have to try it some more. Although the random materials for items was a bit odd. How do you get an Amber Halbard?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #806 on: July 18, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »

Fun! I'll have to try it some more. Although the random materials for items was a bit odd. How do you get an Amber Halbard?

Jurassic Park obviously. Which begs the question and/or suggestion. Can we have a secret volcanic island that would be home to dinosaurs on spawn. And perhaps neanderthals for a civ? Kind of like "The unclaimed new world" That would be a cool little adventure to have on a boat. Just saying. Then you could get amber-material weapons. Aww yeah.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 18, 2012, 04:51:13 pm »

I heartily endorse any and all Dino-biomes

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #808 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:32 pm »

Yeah, see Im not the only one who wants this lol. Of course itd be down the road, but something to think about.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 18, 2012, 06:26:21 pm »

I don't recall if it was discussed, probably was knowing you guys, but I'd love to eventually have the opportunity to interact with tribal or civilizations similar to the Aztecs, Mongols, Native Americans and the like. They could have unique weapons and such, and of course their troops and customs would vary widely. It'd also add another interesting aspect if a base magic is introduced (I'm in favor of a magic system that remains mid(?)-fantasy, like alchemy and rituals and the like), especially with groups similar to the Central American tribes, centering it around a few high priests, sacrificial rituals, and neat junk like that. Of course, that'd be so far down the line (and unlikely to happen) that I feel silly mentioning it.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 221