Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596249 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1200 on: December 26, 2012, 11:08:02 am »

Also, even though we don't have anything to do in the game right now, I have to say that this is the most visually beautiful ASCII game I have ever seen.
Though I'm a little disappointed, I have to agree. This is a downright pretty game. I'll be lurking in this thread for a while.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

WraithLord24

• Bay Watcher
  • I appear then disappear without a trace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: December 26, 2012, 11:30:54 pm »

Also, even though we don't have anything to do in the game right now, I have to say that this is the most visually beautiful ASCII game I have ever seen.
Though I'm a little disappointed, I have to agree. This is a downright pretty game. I'll be lurking in this thread for a while.
Welcome fellow lurker! ;D
Im a Lurker I tend to disappear dont just assume im totally gone cause Ill then pop up at odd times.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: December 27, 2012, 11:06:50 am »

Have you considered splitting the text and graphic tiles into different tilesets? I feel like this would be an awesome game to have a good tileset on, but I don't want all the text to get messed up because I tried to make the H's into horses.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: December 27, 2012, 11:45:43 am »

Have you considered splitting the text and graphic tiles into different tilesets? I feel like this would be an awesome game to have a good tileset on, but I don't want all the text to get messed up because I tried to make the H's into horses.

Good luck with multi-tiles monsters...

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: December 27, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »

Meanwhile on history generation, here's an example of a completed territorial world:

Just curious, how do you check which tiles are on a territory's border? And how do you select which tiles to make a contiguous border (or rivers, for that matter)?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:58:52 pm by Clownmite »

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: December 28, 2012, 12:08:57 pm »

yep, that one hit me soon after I posted.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1206 on: December 30, 2012, 08:28:43 am »

I think we should have control over even (seemingly) little things like ban on alcohol and tobacco products, death penalty, education system, ban on weird religious sects, etc. Because all these little things add up to create greater things. While I definitely don't except a regent to be able to decide on everything in the 1.0 version, I hope we will have more control over things as the game evolves.

You can let the player regent choose what kind of a civ he wants. Do you want a religious civ? Okay, here you go. Do you want a civ of liberties? Done. Or you can let the player to decide on laws without labeling the laws as "This is a +Religious -Freedom law" or "This is a +Autocracy -Democracy law". For example, you can ban alcohol because you genuinely believe that it's bad for your people. You can increase the power of the police because you believe crime is rampant across your civ. And you can increase the privileges and the salary of your spies because you believe a claimant is currently raising an army to overthrow you and you need information. However, all these little things will add up and will greatly lower the liberties in your country, regardless of how good your intentions may seem to you.

Also, even though we don't have anything to do in the game right now, I have to say that this is the most visually beautiful ASCII game I have ever seen. I say this as someone who can't play DF with ASCII and has to use custom tilesets.

Interesting. I hadn't considered that kind of "sub-policy", but it would certainly be an interesting direction to take things. All those little things are the things I want reflected in the existing policies, to an extent - they aren't defined as "more authority" or "less freedom". I'm specifically having it so that the policies do indeed say what the policy does, but abstracts like "authority" or "freedom" are hidden and under the hood. Maybe things that you can ban/allow should form a different category, slightly like mandates etc in DF?

I had, but for now, I'm not going to. Which is not to say I might not change my mind later. Once I start introducing multi-square creatures, and siege weapons, and that kind of thing, I'll just have to see how they look in-game.

Meanwhile on history generation, here's an example of a completed territorial world:

Just curious, how do you check which tiles are on a territory's border? And how do you select which tiles to make a contiguous border (or rivers, for that matter)?

Whenever it needs to draw a border (which isn't a very common operation) it looks across the entire map. For each tile, it notes down who owns that tile, then it takes note of who owns the surrounding tiles. If there are any tiles not owned by that owner, then it must be a border. It then figures out the correct image to use based on how many borders are/aren't present, and which positions the borders are in. Very soon in history generation I'll be letting civs colonize and declare war, so borders will no longer be entirely contiguous for all civs. As for the last part, do you mean how do I generate rivers?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:28 am »

How will you handle contested areas?

how will policies apply and can we attack foreigners freely in contested areas? (assuming you are a member of one of the civs concerned?)

and how will it look on teh mapz?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Clownmite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: December 31, 2012, 02:15:11 pm »

Whenever it needs to draw a border (which isn't a very common operation) it looks across the entire map. For each tile, it notes down who owns that tile, then it takes note of who owns the surrounding tiles. If there are any tiles not owned by that owner, then it must be a border. It then figures out the correct image to use based on how many borders are/aren't present, and which positions the borders are in. Very soon in history generation I'll be letting civs colonize and declare war, so borders will no longer be entirely contiguous for all civs. As for the last part, do you mean how do I generate rivers?

Sorry, I meant how do you pick the tiles out? Just a long line of If statements?

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: December 31, 2012, 08:36:43 pm »

Any plans for kickstarter?
I LOST THE GAME

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: December 31, 2012, 10:22:37 pm »

Regarding your facebook post about religous symbols. will they always be black and white, or will the religious groups color it depending on how/where it's being displayed? and they look awesome so far!

edit: messed up the link :P

editedit: would you have preferred this to be on the related post from facebook, or on this thread?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:29:44 pm by coolio678 »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1211 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:13 pm »

How will you handle contested areas?

how will policies apply and can we attack foreigners freely in contested areas? (assuming you are a member of one of the civs concerned?)

and how will it look on teh mapz?

In what way do you mean handling? How they're resolved in history generation? I haven't got to that step yet, but it'll have a lot of factors - military strength, tactics, military traditions, generals, assorted other quasi-random events, etc. Policies affect lots of things, like the speed of border expansion, or the damage done by a particular kind of military unit, or food produced by that empire, or the number of generals that empire can have, etc etc. Conflict on the map, I'm not sure yet! I'll probably have to choose a different symbol that isn't the double-lines to display contested borders. Or, any square that is having control taken from its owner might get a different symbol/colour (like yellow/orange/red 'x's to display the severity of the attack?).

Sorry, I meant how do you pick the tiles out? Just a long line of If statements?

Yeah, pretty much! Check each tile, see if it's a border, then a set of Ifs to calculate what exactly that border is.

Any plans for kickstarter?

None at the moment, though if people think it would be a worthwhile/valid move, then maybe. I also don't really know the rewards I'd offer, and that kind of thing, but I'd certainly be interested to hear what people think.

Regarding your facebook post about religous symbols. will they always be black and white, or will the religious groups color it depending on how/where it's being displayed? and they look awesome so far!

edit: messed up the link :P

editedit: would you have preferred this to be on the related post from facebook, or on this thread?

I'm not sure. By default they will be white on black, but I might add in a possibility for a theocracy to change its flag to a religious symbol, and pick some colours for it. I was intending to post that image here (I normally cross-post, but I do forget sometimes), but since symbol generation has improved further, here's a new version:

http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/files/2013/01/Relig-II.png

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: January 01, 2013, 09:01:30 pm »

Well I guess im asking is how will you handle areas that both civilizations have boths claims to and citizens/colonists there?

I.E. Frontier areas, or areas where the population is mixed from 2+ empires.

and by handle I mean what are we going to be able to do with these proverbially land toss-ups? Like, will they be easier to attack, need less of a reason to conquer, etc. etc. ?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:27 pm »

Can I found a religion, oh god the possibilities...
What role will religion play? Support buffs? War initiation? morale boosts?

fred1248

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:09 am »

Obviously making people do unimaginable stuff just because they believe in certain deity and you speak in the name of it!
I can't wait to crucify people in the name of flying spaghetti monster.
How do you deliberately crutch a dwarf who seems to have no urge to go to the hospital and be diagnosed with "walklessness?"
Break his other leg.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 221