Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598311 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1230 on: January 07, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »

Now are all resources and locations (except Atlantis of course) known from the get go?

Or can an island that has, lets say, Garlic be discovered?

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: January 07, 2013, 05:35:21 pm »

I'm amazed I've never opened this thread before, this looks crazy promising.

Could someone give me a brief summary of the current state of the game, what features are present, and how playable it is at the moment?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:04 pm »

At current it has basically nothing. You can look at the pretty graphics and sometimes wander into a cyclops who will undoubtedly destroy you.
Basically everything is potential and in progress at the moment.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: January 07, 2013, 06:01:41 pm »

At current it has basically nothing. You can look at the pretty graphics and sometimes wander into a cyclops who will undoubtedly destroy you.

Hey! someone advertised the game to me incorrectly. They said "No supernatural elements" Cyclops is totally supernatural!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: January 07, 2013, 06:14:59 pm »

Hey! someone advertised the game to me incorrectly. They said "No supernatural elements" Cyclops is totally supernatural!
How so? They're supernatural in the same way any made up animal is supernatural. Not.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: January 07, 2013, 06:16:25 pm »

So basically this is low fantasy. Fantasy without magic.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: January 07, 2013, 06:43:48 pm »

Well yeah, otherwise it would be a history game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: January 07, 2013, 06:50:14 pm »

Wait what. I thought fantasy was (and for now, other creatures) removed a while ago?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1238 on: January 07, 2013, 06:50:19 pm »

There are *** NO FANTASY ELEMENTS ***
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:53:53 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1239 on: January 07, 2013, 06:52:52 pm »

Now, having settled that:

Well as far as medieval prosthetic limbs go, Gotz Von Berlichingen had a prosthetic hand/forearm that could grasp both a sword and a feather pen among other such items.

A quick google later - interesting. Things along those lines are tempting.

Now are all resources and locations (except Atlantis of course) known from the get go?

Or can an island that has, lets say, Garlic be discovered?

Nope. Only some civilizations will be known, and that will depend on the civ you choose. BAsically, at the start, there will be a bunch of "known" civilizations - generally temperate, agricultural, empire-builders - and much of the world outside them, and some of them, will be unknown.

I'm amazed I've never opened this thread before, this looks crazy promising.

Could someone give me a brief summary of the current state of the game, what features are present, and how playable it is at the moment?

Thank you! See below for a brief summary :)

I dispute that. It has landscape generation, planets, worlds, world generation, terrain, saving and loading, character creation, skills, a huge amount of under-the-hood work, climbing, running, height, time of day, trees, various terrain types, and a lot else. Just because there isn't anyone to fight doesn't mean there's "nothing". Besides, combat is going to be a very rare part of the final game anyway, unless you actively seek it out. There are a ton of *features*, though admittedly little gameplay. I did previously have combat, but I increasingly realized that with the scope of the project, I have to start from the ground up - NPCs and enemies cannot appear until I know where they should spawn, what civ they belong to, etc etc...

Well yeah, otherwise it would be a history game.

It is a history game! Sort of. A generated history. With the odd, possible, anomalous occurrence.

Wait what. I thought fantasy was (and for now, other creatures) removed a while ago?

Affirmative - the most recent release has *no monsters in it*. The release from half a year ago did, true, but that's not quite the latest version...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:02:19 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: January 07, 2013, 07:12:43 pm »

With the odd, possible, anomalous occurrence

I see like the Locheness monster in Simcity 2000.

Yeah you may see a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow but it is more of a bonus then set dressing.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1241 on: January 07, 2013, 07:14:06 pm »

With the odd, possible, anomalous occurrence

I see like the Locheness monster in Simcity 2000.

Yeah you may see a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow but it is more of a bonus then set dressing.

No comment. My lips are sealed on the anomaly topic for now. But it's not really going to be low fantasy stuff!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: January 07, 2013, 07:16:14 pm »

Excellent!
Now just make it so that you can use reallife historical worlds (every year between [beginning of Indus civilization] and ~1500 having correct nations and characters) and you made my dream game :p

Still, non fantasy makes me a happy Dutchling :)

Fakeedit: ninjad! This is a response to the UUR's earlier two posts...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: January 09, 2013, 11:24:41 am »

We've briefly discussed our treatment of prisoners, but what about the PC being captured? Say if you're a commander and your combat group is overwhelmed, would you be allowed to surrender and be taken captive? Will there be torture and imprisonment? If so, will treatment of a military PC be different than, say, a spy PC?

Little suggestion for this as well: Have a chance for an external prison break dependent on the PC's fame/prestige and standing within his/her nation. Maybe give an option to jump time to the end of your sentence/execution, and give an option to attempt a breakout.

As with PC torture, that one is admittedly tougher to work with. You don't quite want the interrogation to be completely stat dependent (the exception in my opinion is if it is tied to willpower). However, giving the player full control of their response to the torture would make it a bit gamey and remove the feeling of being forced to give away vital information. Perhaps combining them, allowing the player certain options depending on the current level of a certain stat, would be optimal. For example, a character receiving basic torture (possible starvation, dehydration, beatings) and having a high willpower would be able to "hold out", "give in", or "misinform", while someone receiving heavy torture (dismemberment, severe dehydration/starvation, being made fun of) or with low willpower would only be allowed to "give in".

That also brings in the idea of suicide. As we all probably know, many cultures deemed surrender a nonoption, their warriors opting to kill themselves before falling into enemy hands. Perhaps that could be an option during surrender as well.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: January 09, 2013, 06:52:18 pm »

Maybe torture could start to lower stats, otherwise there isn't a great reason to give in.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 221