Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598329 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1305 on: January 19, 2013, 07:16:25 pm »

I think that the definition of "fantasy" is kind of blurred.
Just stuff that doesn't exist? Stuff that can't exist? I'm not really understanding where the line lies here.

Fantasy involves stuff that doesn't exist. Whether it be a fictional land or fictional creatures.

Magic and monsters do not actually need to be involved.
So doesn't that make the game fantasy by virtue of it being set somewhere that doesn't exist?
Sorry, I don't know much about genre naming standards, so most of this discussion about "low fantasy" and such is going way over my head.

No fantasy, in this case, means no elves, dwarves, magic, dragons, non-fictional gods, etc.

It's a deal. Than caterpillars and all the other shape-shifters in URR it is!

ftfy :P

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 20, 2013, 05:46:10 am »

No fantasy, in this case, means no elves, dwarves, magic, dragons, non-fictional gods, etc.

Arguable, but on other threads im sure :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: January 20, 2013, 05:56:21 am »

Arguable, but on other threads im sure :P

The usual polite way of saying it is Active Dieties.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 20, 2013, 08:49:07 am »

Just stuff that doesn't exist? Stuff that can't exist? I'm not really understanding where the line lies here.

Fantasy involves stuff that doesn't exist. Whether it be a fictional land or fictional creatures.

So doesn't that make the game fantasy by virtue of it being set somewhere that doesn't exist?
Sorry, I don't know much about genre naming standards, so most of this discussion about "low fantasy" and such is going way over my head.

It's a deal. Than caterpillars and all the other shape-shifters in URR it is!

ftfy :P

Ruin all the fun :P

I think we are having trouble with finding a non-subjective definition for "fantasy"

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: January 20, 2013, 08:50:14 am »

not real?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: January 20, 2013, 09:51:24 am »

So, every fiction book ever written counts as "fantasy" books? And in this game, we will have a lot of fictional stuff and it still won't be fantasy. I think fantasy comes into play when things that we deem impossible happens... or something. I think it's a subjective matter.

Btw, I think aliens are real and thus they don't make a book, a "fantasy" book when they get included in the story.

Second btw, I don't think aliens are real. Maybe... I don't know. That was just for giving an example.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 09:53:04 am by Leatra »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: January 20, 2013, 07:18:39 pm »

As long as you don't wear a tinfoil hat or consult the magic healing crystals, fantasy is whatever isn't included within, or a reasonable extension of, principals found in the real world. Narwhals aren't fantastic, because they can be tamed by anyone, while Unicorns are fantastic because they can only be tamed by virgins, and gallop about the place all magical-like. Komodo dragons aren't fantastic because they'e quite large and have a poisonous (yes, poisonous. The whole "saliva bacteria" theory has been completely debunked, they have venom sacs) bite, while Dragons are fantastic because they soar overhead, breathing fire at things. Platypi get a free pass, despite their best efforts.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 20, 2013, 07:40:26 pm »

(yes, poisonous. The whole "saliva bacteria" theory has been completely debunked, they have venom sacs)

You shall read more carefully, the poison have a mild effect (local swelling, blood coagulation disruption), so not that bad. The main problem in a komodo bite is still the powerful jaw and the infection (At least for humans).
On animals the effect of the poison isn't documented at all (aka we don't know wtf happen).

But yeah, URR should have a Dwarven civilisation mounting Komodos.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12:40 pm »

No... it's gotta be Elephants. Nothing strikes fear into the hearts of your enemies like raging, hate-filled elephants.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: January 22, 2013, 01:16:07 am »

I went through the entire thread, and the author of this game made it very clear several times that there will be NO fantasy elements, i.e., no imaginary creatures or innate abilities.
Also, I've noticed that people were basically saying, 'hey, this may or may not be considered 'fantastic', so can we have it in game?' with things that are clearly fantasy element.
I am baffled at how immature people can be at times.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:17:56 am by DoomOnion »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: January 22, 2013, 02:13:27 am »

I went through the entire thread, and the author of this game made it very clear several times that there will be NO fantasy elements, i.e., no imaginary creatures or innate abilities.
Also, I've noticed that people were basically saying, 'hey, this may or may not be considered 'fantastic', so can we have it in game?' with things that are clearly fantasy element.
We've just been discussing for a firm definition of what constitutes fantasy. That is pretty much the least immature way of going about it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:21:20 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:00 am »

Oh yeah, I'm just saying that we all know what's fitting for a relatively historically accurate strategy game and what isn't by heart, it's just that the definition of 'fantasy' is a little... blurry.
I think the word choice 'fantasy' isn't exactly accurate when URR said 'There isn't any FANTASY element in the game', though I generally agree that its the best word to describe it.
We all have this firm idea in the back of our heads what is right and what is not right, and trying to ramshackle the definition of Fantasy for the game is going to be very, very hard, to say the least.
I guess we are trying to almost re-invent the term fantasy here, or rather, trying to re-define it.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: January 22, 2013, 03:11:24 am »

Hey, don't look at me like that. If you were talking about me, it's not my problem if you can't tell sarcasm. Do you think I want aliens and shape-shifters in this game? [sarcasm] Well, yeah. It would be cool. Maybe a little Cthulhu stuff would go well too. [/sarcasm] But I know stuff like that won't be in this game and I'm okay with it. [sarcasm] What do you think I am? Immature? Pfft. [/sarcasm] I gave those examples to show how subjective the word "fantasy" is. People tend to count having fictional civs as being a "fantasy" thing. We are going to have fictional civs but it still won't be fantasy.

I think we can say "THERE IS NO SPELLS AND DRAGONS AND ALIENS AND SHIT" as a short version. That covers most of the fantasy stuff.

Ah, why we are talking about this issue this much? Let's just call it "there won't be unrealistic stuff in this game" and be done with it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:21:52 am by Leatra »

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:26 am »

...Touché.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: January 22, 2013, 03:28:48 am »

Ba-dum-tish! No hard feelings. ;D

I have a question about fantasy stuff though. What should we expect from dungeons, crypts and alike? I know there won't be anything supernatural but what will make them interesting then? I remember URR mentioned puzzles (correct me if I'm wrong) but I'm... puzzled by that answer. Solving a puzzle in a roguelike sounds like a Call of Duty point-and-click game. Just seems weird and out of genre. There are probably RL puzzles too but I have never encountered them.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 221