Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 598144 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1380 on: January 30, 2013, 10:48:43 am »

To be fair, a lot of my suggestions are unnecessarily complex and meant for far future development :p

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:17 pm »

And it's not surprising when you look at our community's preferences when it comes to roguelikes. I love complexity too but it feels like we are demanding too much sometimes :P

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: January 30, 2013, 05:14:50 pm »

Complexity for the overly complex, occasionally unnecessary and generally over-verbose complexity god!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: February 01, 2013, 12:36:57 pm »

Complexity for the overly complex, occasionally unnecessary and generally over-verbose complexity god!

All hail the complexity god!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: February 01, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »

I am willing to take Overly complex so long as it has a good UI.

If I can ever find out why scanning planets doesn't work for me in Aurora Id be fine with it too :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: February 01, 2013, 01:36:26 pm »

I am willing to take Overly complex so long as it has a good UI.

If I can ever find out why scanning planets doesn't work for me in Aurora Id be fine with it too :P
While this isn't the Aurora thread; I think it is fair to speculate that the reason scanning planets isn't working is because either the ship doesn't have a survey module, or you're doing to orders wrong.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: February 01, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »

No it is because in the version of Aurora I played the ship had to be sent to the planet first before it could be scanned or something along those lines.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: February 01, 2013, 01:45:04 pm »

I completely agree with your comparison with Aurora. I really do not want another game that 'would be really awesome if only it was playable.'

That said, I do not think we need to worry about this regarding URR.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: February 02, 2013, 01:52:06 am »

'would be really awesome if only it was playable.'

Yeah, that was the feeling I got with Aurora too. Before I played the game, it had endless possibilities in my mind. After trying the game, that potential became zero. A game's UI has to be able to handle the game's complexity first.

I think URR's excellent UI can handle any complexity. Just look at the screenshots on the first page of this thread to see what Mark is capable of when it comes to working with ASCII and ANSI. Generated art? That wins more than a few points.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: February 02, 2013, 04:10:22 am »

In regard to complexity, I agree with leatra, UI looks awesome and decidedly un-spreadsheet.

A little off topic:
Will weapons be regional? I wanna travel to the far east and grab a katana. :P If this is the case will environment influence these weapon types, or will it be technology (hammers being developed against armour).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: February 02, 2013, 05:19:16 am »

Why would anyone want a katana when they could stab someone with something that actually kills people? Unless you just want to have a sword from somewhere far away and then sell it for an obscene amount of money to some chump who will want it for a collection or somesuch.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: February 02, 2013, 06:23:47 am »

To be said chump
That was just an example, could be travelling to find halberds or those obsidian saw swords from central america (name eludes me).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 06:49:06 am by Edmus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: February 02, 2013, 06:57:33 am »

One issue I often see with the whole "Everything and the kitchen sink" settings is that a lot of the time weapons and armor are made with the intent of being used against the weapon and the armor of the time as well as the limitations of materials and resources made to create them.

You know the old Samurai versus a Knight? The Knight would likely win that because the Katana wasn't made to fight someone with the Knights armor.

MIND YOU! I can take that for the sake of variety.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: February 02, 2013, 07:00:37 am »

You know what? That's it. I've had it with this *masterwork katana* bullshit. Dinky pinky kitchen knives get shafted too often in the D20 system, and it's time they got the respect they deserved.

Ask me for example. I've been practicing with a teeny - meeny knife for 21 years, and it can cut through blocks of sheer butter.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: February 02, 2013, 10:59:36 am »

To be said chump
That was just an example, could be travelling to find halberds or those obsidian saw swords from central america (name eludes me).

Macuahuitl.

You know what? That's it. I've had it with this *masterwork katana* bullshit. Dinky pinky kitchen knives get shafted too often in the D20 system, and it's time they got the respect they deserved.

Ask me for example. I've been practicing with a teeny - meeny knife for 21 years, and it can cut through blocks of sheer butter.
Fresh from the fridge, or so you have to warm it up lightly? I once cut through 2 layers of bread, 1 of bacon, cheese and lettuce with a kitchen knife, like a baus.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 221