Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596288 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1395 on: February 02, 2013, 11:46:14 am »

That seems like a good rival for DF to keep up with!
Is there maybe a tileset (or how I call them due to other games, texture pack) that changes the graphics to those of URR?

Because BOY, this one has much more clear, yet still ASCII, graphics.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: February 02, 2013, 11:57:16 am »

PTW
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: February 02, 2013, 12:11:31 pm »

Is there maybe a tileset (or how I call them due to other games, texture pack) that changes the graphics to those of URR?

Heh, agreed. Probably the best ASCII graphics I have ever seen. Map's color palette is so awesome, you could mistake it for a real map.

You know the old Samurai versus a Knight? The Knight would likely win that because the Katana wasn't made to fight someone with the Knights armor.
There is an idea there. Cultures should have different weapons and these weapons should be efficient for different kinds of armors. For example, Elves in DF favor wooden equipment, even if they are ineffective. But Elves can still kick ass with their ranged weapons and mounts. Still, superiority of the favored race of Armok to every other race is, of course, unquestionable.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: February 02, 2013, 06:55:25 pm »

Pretty much the first e-cronym I really had any exposure to was WTF, so when I saw FTW, I thought of it as Fuck The What. Now every time I see PTW, I think of Post To Win.

Incidentally, MACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMACMAC.

EDIT: What I meant was: Would you mind posting something we can compile ourselves, as this might provide mac and linux users with the beginnings of a means by which to play. While I doubt it would be easy, it's much easier than trying to get an exe to work, especially if we're using OSX 10.5, which wine and playonmac won't support.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:01:06 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: February 02, 2013, 07:18:16 pm »

Heh, agreed. Probably the best ASCII graphics I have ever seen. Map's color palette is so awesome, you could mistake it for a real map.
I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to do. You might just need URR's permission to make it, first.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 02, 2013, 07:25:41 pm »

There is an idea there. Cultures should have different weapons and these weapons should be efficient for different kinds of armors. For example, Elves in DF favor wooden equipment, even if they are ineffective. But Elves can still kick ass with their ranged weapons and mounts. Still, superiority of the favored race of Armok to every other race is, of course, unquestionable

While realistic there is also the sense of gameplay.

SHOULD we make, for example, the Katana (if it was in the game... which it isn't but lets say this was the world expansion and every country's equivilant was in the game) weak to heavy metal armor?

Ultimate Rate of Registry what are your viewpoints on this?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 02, 2013, 07:55:37 pm »

The katana should be weak to everything.
Because it sucks.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 02, 2013, 08:59:44 pm »

Because it sucks.

The concept behind it is that it is a slashing weapon. Scimitars and Calvalry Sabres also use that concept.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 02, 2013, 09:13:03 pm »

There is an idea there. Cultures should have different weapons and these weapons should be efficient for different kinds of armors. For example, Elves in DF favor wooden equipment, even if they are ineffective. But Elves can still kick ass with their ranged weapons and mounts. Still, superiority of the favored race of Armok to every other race is, of course, unquestionable

SHOULD we make, for example, the Katana (if it was in the game... which it isn't but lets say this was the world expansion and every country's equivilant was in the game) weak to heavy metal armor?

I like the idea of weapons having advantages and disadvantages, so then your adventurer (if that's your life choice) doesn't carry around a certain weapon because it has complete dominance over the others. Things like rifles muskets (?) should be able to penetrate heavy armor, but have long reload times, halberds or the like should be slow to attack, and pierce metal. katana's (and other slashy cutty things) should be quick attacks, but not so effective against heavy, metal armor.

Also, another idea that sprang to mind, is maybe "special abilities" for them, like halberds having a sweep attack, that swings an arc in front of you, or daggers allowing you to aim for the joints of thick armor (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what they were used for back in the day, right?) I'm not too sure about this, actually.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 03, 2013, 04:45:35 am »

Because it sucks.

The concept behind it is that it is a slashing weapon. Scimitars and Calvalry Sabres also use that concept.
But scimitars and sabres tend to be made from actual high-quality metals. And are light enough to be held in one hand with a suitable grip. As opposed to katanas which were made of poor quality iron and were unwieldy and generally not much use at fighting things.

Though I can still get behind curved weapons in general being deflected by armour easily.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 03, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »

That's because katanas were originally designed to lop off the heads of kneeling peasants that were getting too uppity.

They even let the samurais get one practice swing. It later became the inspiration for golf, after Lord Gorufu, who was famous for chopping their necks with an upward, instead of a downward, swing.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:54:46 pm by Sergius »

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 03, 2013, 12:55:17 pm »

I like the idea of weapons having advantages and disadvantages, so then your adventurer (if that's your life choice) doesn't carry around a certain weapon because it has complete dominance over the others. Things like rifles muskets (?) should be able to penetrate heavy armor, but have long reload times, halberds or the like should be slow to attack, and pierce metal. katana's (and other slashy cutty things) should be quick attacks, but not so effective against heavy, metal armor.

Also, another idea that sprang to mind, is maybe "special abilities" for them, like halberds having a sweep attack, that swings an arc in front of you, or daggers allowing you to aim for the joints of thick armor (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what they were used for back in the day, right?) I'm not too sure about this, actually.
High quality plate armour usually has chain mail and linen padding protecting the joints so even with a well placed dagger hit, it's almost impossible to penetrate. Up against a man in plate armour, I guess the man with the dagger could try to stab his enemy's face or slash his throat... which probably wouldn't work out very well given the dagger's lack of reach
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 12:57:52 pm by Frank2368 »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 03, 2013, 01:00:26 pm »

Best way to beat the snot out of a fully plate armoured knight is to gang up on them, get them prone and then liberally apply a plethora of heavy blunt objects to his torso/head.

That and crossbows. There's a reason the actual knights came crying to the Pope so that he would ban those unfair nasty crossbows.

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:41 pm »

Yeah. I don't understand why anyone with a functional brain would try to fight a plate armoured knight with a dagger.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 03, 2013, 01:07:36 pm »

Fun fact: knight vs knight usually was fought to the point of exhaustion, as both were mostly invulnerable to each other. At that point, it was either a surrender or a coup de grace on the first one to fall :P
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 221