Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596206 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - strategy/roguelike/4x (v 0.2.0 released 26/11/2012!)
« Reply #1455 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »

Creating armour from diamonds would be both a massive time-sink and a waste of time. No matter how you did it it would offer no protection, because of how any concussive blow would shatter it. For cloth studded with diamonds this would result in having just cloth, and, if by some majyyk you did manage to create plate armour from diamonds, it would be even worse because when it shattered you would then have massively sharp shards of crystallised carbon all over you.
That's not a good thing, by the way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: February 04, 2013, 08:38:10 pm »

Can someone please tell me why the download is losing the website every 8-12 minutes when I try to download it?
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:35 pm »

This is probably one of my most anticipated Roguelike games right now, if not the most anticipated

Keep up the good work URR!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: February 05, 2013, 04:18:00 am »

Fun fact: The Roman empire went out of their way to invade the British Isles because of the tin deposits there; to make bronze with.

Super fun fact: Most of it was in Cornwall, which has been famous for it's tin mines for... basically ever. We don't need you, we've never needed you, Cornish Independence! :P
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: February 05, 2013, 05:42:01 am »

Can someone please tell me why the download is losing the website every 8-12 minutes when I try to download it?

Working fine for me

Your ISP perhaps, your connection could be unstable. Try tracert www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: February 05, 2013, 09:31:35 am »

For some reason I read the link as "ultimarati ore gum". For a second I was like "What the hell is ultimarati ore? And why would you chew it?"

Anyways, will we eventually see thick growth that will need to be hacked through, and weapons that are effective and a-whackin' through plants like the machete?

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1461 on: February 14, 2013, 08:14:23 am »

Creating armour from diamonds would be both a massive time-sink and a waste of time. No matter how you did it it would offer no protection, because of how any concussive blow would shatter it. For cloth studded with diamonds this would result in having just cloth, and, if by some majyyk you did manage to create plate armour from diamonds, it would be even worse because when it shattered you would then have massively sharp shards of crystallised carbon all over you.

That is why there will be *no* diamond armour - it's just... stupid. Diamonds exist, though, along with a bunch of other precious stones.

I cannot :-\. Did you get it to work in the end?

This is probably one of my most anticipated Roguelike games right now, if not the most anticipated

Keep up the good work URR!

Thank you! I've been working quite a bit on dungeons this past week, and whilst there are only going to be ziggurats in the next version (and only a small % of what I want in them) I hope it'll give an idea of the direction they'll be going.

For some reason I read the link as "ultimarati ore gum". For a second I was like "What the hell is ultimarati ore? And why would you chew it?"

Anyways, will we eventually see thick growth that will need to be hacked through, and weapons that are effective and a-whackin' through plants like the machete?

Ultimarati ore is the most valuable of all the minerals in the game, and the rarest. If you find some you, win. Fact. (I'm half tempted to add that the ore as an easter egg, now...)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: February 14, 2013, 08:28:45 am »

You'd eventually get that insane king who lusts for the stones bringing war to everyone so he can collect them all.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: February 15, 2013, 04:03:17 pm »

Creating armour from diamonds would be both a massive time-sink and a waste of time. No matter how you did it it would offer no protection, because of how any concussive blow would shatter it.

Well, it was more a reference to Minecraft than a real suggestion...

P.S. It's not any concussive blow, only those on the cleavage plane.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: February 15, 2013, 06:31:48 pm »

But at least it would look cool. We are talking about an armor made of diamonds! Imagine going to King's party wearing one of those. You'd totally nail the Princess!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: February 15, 2013, 06:45:15 pm »

But at least it would look cool. We are talking about an armor made of diamonds! Imagine going to King's party wearing one of those. You'd totally nail the Princess!

So, it would be decorative armor.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: February 15, 2013, 08:01:43 pm »

I don't think it's even possible to create a diamond armor.

Well, I guess you could make it plated, but who the hell have that much diamonds?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: February 15, 2013, 08:10:42 pm »

I was under the impression that, were you somehow able to make diamonds into armour, due to it being INCREDIBLY hard, it'd take a long, long time to break, and would probably be slowly chipped away, and fairly light?

Diamonds have been known to shatter jeweler's chisels when they've been used on them. I'm not sure whether or not these jewelers had shoddy metal or what, though.

EDIT:
I don't think it's even possible to create a diamond armor.

Well, I guess you could make it plated, but who the hell have that much diamonds?
MAGIC!
diamonds can cut glass, and that's the reason why there are diamond-tipped saws used in quarrying and the like.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: February 15, 2013, 08:19:58 pm »

diamonds can cut glass, and that's the reason why there are diamond-tipped saws used in quarrying and the like.

I don't see your point. Just because diamond is sharp doesn't mean it's good for armour.

I don't see jedis in lightarmours.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: February 15, 2013, 10:13:01 pm »

Diamond studded armour, or studded armour in general would be less useless than regular leather at least. Although it begs the question of why would you use your diamonds to stud armour when you could simply sell them and buy full plate.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 221