Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596273 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

All that's missing from the last image is a Nic Cage face.

Only a matter of time...

Forget the game, just sell your procedural art to a museum and drive sport cars the rest of your life!

Ah - if only! I think I've only shown about 3 of the block artworks so far, and there's nearly twenty or so, so I'm looking forward to hearing what people think of the rest of them.

Nifty!

For the record, I like reading things here. I often forget to go looking in other places for information on stuff, but anything posted in a thread I'm following here will get read.

Thanks - in that case, I'll post them full here from now on, rather than just the link.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

The last week  has seen more coding than much of the last month – having lacked the internet for the past week, very little else has been done aside from it. As ever, the release is a mix of things I’m making public before-hand and a few secrets I want people to find, but here the updates I can share. I’m aiming for release probably around late July at the moment, but it might get pushed into early August. The first half of July is almost entirely full with academic work, so we’ll just have to see how it goes. I’ll be doing a lot of playtesting towards the end of June once I have a pretty stable build, but ziggurats are looking all but finished.

Puzzles are 100% finished. There are five “levels”, finishing off with “boss” level puzzles. Even when I know how to solve the puzzles, they still take me some thought. Playtesting it with people who don’t know how they are generated under the hood have found them so far genuinely challenging and really interesting to solve, so I have high hopes. They include a vast quantity of procedural art (something like 200+ images?) and over 300 possible puzzle permutations, and that’s not even counting the clues. You’ll have to play A Lot if you want to see even a small percentage of these things.

Ziggurats are 99% finished. They generate the entire buildings, all puzzles generate (as above), the structures inside and outside match up, dungeons are three-dimensional, which is to say staircases lead directly up and down, not to random points on the floor above, and some areas can only be accessed from floors above or below. It makes for a really interesting structure to explore, and it’ll be all the better in the future once a greater variety of rooms exist. Special ziggurats also have secrets atop them, whilst by the end of tomorrow other ziggurats will have clues pointing you towards the special ziggurats if you’ve taken the wrong one. In the future these will be treasure rooms etc. Lastly, as well as “Look-up” graphics for blocks, I’m adding ones for doors, iron gates, and a few other things. They look pretty cool.

A basic inventory system is now in place. This is not what it will look like in the future, but suffices for the time being to deal with the few items now in the game. It won’t be redone for the release after this (probably), but certainly will once a decent number of items actually enter the game.

Next update will be next Monday, and since I now have internet at my new place, they should be regular until release (I know I keep saying this, and failing to keep to it, but I’ll try). By this time next week, ziggurats should be totally finished and I should be onto bug fixing and optimizations. I’ve had a very crazy idea for hugely reducing save/load times I need to try out, amongst other things.

I cannot WAIT to show it off, but just a little bit of final tweaking is needed...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:33:22 am by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile

!

#hype #hashtagsoutsideoftwitter
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile

Pumped.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

!

#hype #hashtagsoutsideoftwitter
Pumped.

Hype! Trying to get everything into a version I can start seriously playtesting by the end of this weekend. Definitely on track...

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile

so...i decided to try this...generated a world...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
known issue when doing random setting?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

so...i decided to try this...generated a world...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
known issue when doing random setting?

Interesting - never had this one. That was with the random setting, you say? Thanks for the heads-up, I'll check it out.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

I understand that the game is to be low-fantasy, but will there be any presence of magic, like rituals a la UnRealWorld?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I understand that the game is to be low-fantasy, but will there be any presence of magic, like rituals a la UnRealWorld?
I know that there'll definitely be religions and so probably sacrifices. What's up for debate is whether or not they do anything.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

At least rituals and religions should have some kind of psychological effects. I would love to be some kind of Witch King that nobody wants to mess with.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

At least rituals and religions should have some kind of psychological effects. I would love to be some kind of Witch King that nobody wants to mess with.
Well obviously they would have effects in the context of followers of that religion. I thought you meant in terms of them having magical effects.
Also I keep making typos now. I'll try to cut down on any large paragraphs.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Well, it would be cool if they had slight magical effects, but I'm okay if they don't.

Real life voodoo is the ancient equivalent of PsyOp, after all.

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum

It's 95% realistic, with a slight "magic realism" aspect, more than low fantasy, as much.

Well obviously they would have effects in the context of followers of that religion. I thought you meant in terms of them having magical effects.
Also I keep making typos now. I'll try to cut down on any large paragraphs.

I'm 99% certain they will only have effects within the context of the religion or cult; there will be a few 'weird' effects, but less so magical. I mean, no fireball spells or whatever. It's still a little in flux, but most of the weird artefacts you'll find won't be weapons or things like that, but stuff that (hopefully!) produces interesting non-combat gameplay. As you can tell, I'm still planning some of this out...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like something that makes people more honest when near it or something to that effect? That'd be neat whether it's right or not.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile

maybe stuff that affects your luck, with hidden stats so you never know if it's working as intended
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 221