Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 221

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 596309 times)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
  • Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
Re: Ultima Ratio Regum - roguelike/exploration/Borges, v0.3 released!
« Reply #1740 on: August 04, 2013, 02:17:18 pm »

Well, as long as you can ignore the main quest and just go kill random peasants I'm 100% okay with all the changes :P

Yep... but there will be CONSEQUENCES. Real ones, not this Skyrim "a small number of people panic briefly and then go back to behaving like normal" rubbish.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: August 04, 2013, 02:18:57 pm »

Well, as long as you can ignore the main quest and just go kill random peasants I'm 100% okay with all the changes :P

Yep... but there will be CONSEQUENCES. Real ones, not this Skyrim "a small number of people panic briefly and then go back to behaving like normal" rubbish.

I would expect nothing less :D

TanSerrai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:14 am »

Hi!
First time poster here - I have been following this thread for over a year now and would like to compliment you on the beauty you have achieved using Ascii...I was immediately hooked after realizing the level of love I saw/felt being poured into this game.

Now for a (jarringly) simple question: I did download and fire up 0.3 (first time user), walked the (larger) map, found two ziggurats, entered the (detail) map, walked and climbed all over those two ziggurats - but was unable to find an entrance. I did 'l'ook at a ton of squares (again, compliments on achieving 'natural' vine growths...in an ascii game...wow!) but could not find any. Is there something very obvious that I am missing? Note that I found the (locked) door to a '?' building so I at least know how the symbol does look....a pointer on how to enter a ziggurat would be appreciated - my thanks!
--------
ah. Found it. Cunningly intertwined with vines....puzzles next! Thanks for the help!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 07:10:56 am by TanSerrai »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1743 on: August 05, 2013, 06:13:07 am »

I had the same problem! And that was after my first map didn't spawn any ziggurats :)

Basically you're looking for an inverted U. It's a door! I think it should usually be at the center of one of the walls, north, west, east or south ones :)

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1744 on: August 05, 2013, 08:26:36 am »

Hi!
First time poster here - I have been following this thread for over a year now and would like to compliment you on the beauty you have achieved using Ascii...I was immediately hooked after realizing the level of love I saw/felt being poured into this game.

Now for a (jarringly) simple question: I did download and fire up 0.3 (first time user), walked the (larger) map, found two ziggurats, entered the (detail) map, walked and climbed all over those two ziggurats - but was unable to find an entrance. I did 'l'ook at a ton of squares (again, compliments on achieving 'natural' vine growths...in an ascii game...wow!) but could not find any. Is there something very obvious that I am missing? Note that I found the (locked) door to a '?' building so I at least know how the symbol does look....a pointer on how to enter a ziggurat would be appreciated - my thanks!
--------
ah. Found it. Cunningly intertwined with vines....puzzles next! Thanks for the help!

Hey - thanks for the feedback! Glad you like how things are working out. You're not the first person to say doors are hard to hard to spot - for 0.3.1, which I'll release this week, I'll make them white so you can't miss them (or some other, much more obvious colour), though you can only see them if you are on their level or below. There is no use using the look function to try and spot them, and they only show if you can see them! Haha, glad you found it - but as I say, doors are clearly too hard to see. I'll change that.

I had the same problem! And that was after my first map didn't spawn any ziggurats :)

Basically you're looking for an inverted U. It's a door! I think it should usually be at the center of one of the walls, north, west, east or south ones :)

Didn't spawn any?! That should be utterly impossible. Can you export the world map ('X' in game) and post it somewhere so I can see? Anyway, I think I'm going to adjust the door colour so it always displays as white. A few people have said they can be hard to spot, and I think they're right...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: August 05, 2013, 08:34:11 am »

Maximum replayability is a central goal - EVERYTHING, from art to doors to puzzles to swords, will and must be procedural...

You know how to win a fanbase, sir. :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #1746 on: August 05, 2013, 10:51:03 am »

Sorry, after walking around the map for a while and not seeing any Z's I regenerated it on top of the old one. I was on Earth and definitely walked around all of the continen hat I could walk on, and there was no Z. I tried that for a fairly long time, and actually went into places that had resource deposits becuase I couldn't figure out where the ziggurats would've been :\

Sorry I can't help more!

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1747 on: August 05, 2013, 12:15:23 pm »

You know how to win a fanbase, sir. :D

Haha; I cannot wait to start some procedural weapon graphics down the line...

Sorry, after walking around the map for a while and not seeing any Z's I regenerated it on top of the old one. I was on Earth and definitely walked around all of the continen hat I could walk on, and there was no Z. I tried that for a fairly long time, and actually went into places that had resource deposits becuase I couldn't figure out where the ziggurats would've been :\

Sorry I can't help more!

AHHH. In this release, for the time being... you can cross ocean freely. I think we've found the issue!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: August 05, 2013, 06:31:33 pm »

That title screen.  I don't think its a rougelike if it looks pretty.  Everything feels really polished, even the map displays for things that don't exist yet.

Also, I forgot the button it told me to look up the controls and now I don't know how to do anything.  Either that or it really is "C" and its just not working.

Two things in particular I don't understand: can I look in a direction without moving that way, and why does hitting "." to wait seem to deplete my stamina/will/exhaustion?  The first thing I did was climb a volcano, so I ran out of energy pretty fast.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1749 on: August 05, 2013, 06:57:41 pm »

That title screen.  I don't think its a rougelike if it looks pretty.  Everything feels really polished, even the map displays for things that don't exist yet.

Also, I forgot the button it told me to look up the controls and now I don't know how to do anything.  Either that or it really is "C" and its just not working.

Two things in particular I don't understand: can I look in a direction without moving that way, and why does hitting "." to wait seem to deplete my stamina/will/exhaustion?  The first thing I did was climb a volcano, so I ran out of energy pretty fast.

Haha, thank you. The Options screen ('O') will let you then view controls. I'm going to move it to the Guidebook ('?'), though, as a few people have said that would make a lot more sense.

You can turn around by moving in a direction you aren't facing, and you will stay still, but not turn. HOWEVER, several people have noted this isn't a totally logical solution. It makes more sense to have you move+look as default, then move-without-look and look-without-move as alternates (say, with Ctrl and Alt), so I'm going to change that. Also, '.' should *not* be doing that! Thanks for alerting me, I'll fix that. There isn't much in the wilderness yet, the ziggurats ('Z' on the map) are the main focus atm.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:44 pm »

Also, '.' should *not* be doing that! Thanks for alerting me, I'll fix that.

I tested it a little.  Before my stamina runs out, it works as I would expect.  Once I run out of stamina though waiting causes the willpower bar to drain, and then the exhaustion bar, and then I get the message "you start to regain your reserves of strength" and it all comes back.

I might think this was intend behavior, with the exhaustion bar just representing the time it takes for my character to catch his breath.  However, the message I get when I run out of willpower ("you can keep up this level of activity no longer; you are exhausted!") implies that the willpower bar at least should refill if I wait.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 06, 2013, 05:55:58 am »

The first thing I tried to do when I made my first game is to find a volcano. I found a living volcano and tried to jump in, but the game said to me "That would be a suicide!" and did not let me! Awwww :'(.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ultima Ratio Regum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Ultima Ratio Regum
« Reply #1752 on: August 06, 2013, 07:50:41 pm »

I tested it a little.  Before my stamina runs out, it works as I would expect.  Once I run out of stamina though waiting causes the willpower bar to drain, and then the exhaustion bar, and then I get the message "you start to regain your reserves of strength" and it all comes back.

I might think this was intend behavior, with the exhaustion bar just representing the time it takes for my character to catch his breath.  However, the message I get when I run out of willpower ("you can keep up this level of activity no longer; you are exhausted!") implies that the willpower bar at least should refill if I wait.

Ah, gotcha. Willpower and exhaustion go down no matter what you do, once you go into them. It's not a perfect system yet, and needs a bit of planning. It is exactly what that is meant to be, but I see what you mean, that's not clear. The idea is that once you start using your willpower, it's semi-similar to berserking in Crawl, and then you are exhausted for a period. However, these mechanics aren't really fully implemented yet (as you may have spotted!).

The first thing I tried to do when I made my first game is to find a volcano. I found a living volcano and tried to jump in, but the game said to me "That would be a suicide!" and did not let me! Awwww :'(.

Haha - it will one day! I just haven't coded either a) handling death, or b) handling death by lava, yet...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:56:29 pm by Ultima Ratio Regum »

Frank2368

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: August 07, 2013, 12:32:59 pm »

In the wall carvings, skull blocks are referred to as "the reminder of morality". Is that a typo?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 07, 2013, 12:38:47 pm »

Maximum replayability is a central goal - EVERYTHING, from art to doors to puzzles to swords, will and must be procedural...

EVERYTHING, from art to doors to puzzles to swords, will and must be procedural...

swords, will and must be procedural...

swords

will and must be procedural...

As long as I can have a sword that has a crazy appearance that I can set on fire, I will happily await this
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 221