Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modding castes  (Read 3139 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Modding castes
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 09:19:25 am »

...ridiculously complex and most likely needlessly so.

I see no problem here.

NotResponsibleForDwarvenDeathsCausedByMisusingThisPostOrByUsingThisPostCorrectlyIfTheInformationIsWrong

What about deaths caused by using it correctly if the information is right?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:13 am »

When dealing with body parts, I just put the [BODY] token at caste level, and remove the creature's global body tags. That way, I can be sure what body parts I exactly add and stuff.

Not sure if removing the global body part tags and adding those at caste level in a genned world works though.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 10:01:21 am »

They should work.
As far as the game is concerned, no base creature actually exists, only the MALE and FEMALE caste versions of it. If you gave both 'em to have certain bodyparts, the whole thing should work without problems.

Pretty sure it'd work for already-existing worlds with ongoing forts too.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 10:16:13 am »

NotResponsibleForDwarvenDeathsCausedByMisusingThisPostOrByUsingThisPostCorrectlyIfTheInformationIsWrong
What about deaths caused by using it correctly if the information is right?
I wasn't sure if that would fit on one line.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 11:50:52 am »

How much, exactly, can one change at the caste level?  Though I don't really want to give too much about my plans away, would it be possible to, for example, change things like body structure from one caste to the next?  Or, I don't know, replace one (but only one) caste's bones with solid gold, or something?

both are fully possible.

Also, you can add castes pretty much no matter what they change. The reason Genesis crashed is because male and female castes have different bodyparts. Also, messing with already-existing castes is no issue as long as you don't change their bodies, I figure.

When it comes to changing bodyparts at the caste level, both REMOVING and ADDING are equally difficult, since you need to define the entire body at the caste level. Also, if you define the body at the creature level and re-define the body at the caste level, you get 24-armed 4-headed freaks. Just a warning.

(I know a shitload about caste modding at this point because it's pretty much the only creature modding I do :P)

For an example of just how much you can change through modding, see my "friendship" (in the DFusion sense) mod:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13790475/creature_dwarf.txt

Arek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »

Because all castes are crossbreed no matter their difference, does that means, that when kobold female is married to a goblin and lays egg, elf or dorf or any other caste under global race will hatch?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 05:06:38 pm »

Pretty much.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:29 pm »

How much, exactly, can one change at the caste level?  Though I don't really want to give too much about my plans away, would it be possible to, for example, change things like body structure from one caste to the next?  Or, I don't know, replace one (but only one) caste's bones with solid gold, or something?

both are fully possible.
Oh I am well aware that they are possible (check out my corrupts), I just didn't know that you could do that at the caste level.  Anyway, I know now, so my modding is about to get much more !!FUN!!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 01:25:32 am »

You'll have to define bones on a per-caste basis, though.
Pages: 1 [2]